londoncuppa

MOC11_DAY10.STORY+PHOTOS_Taekwondo Journey (londoncuppa)

MOC11_DAY10.STORY+PHOTOS_Taekwondo Journey (londoncuppa)
londoncuppa, Jan 16, 2023
Description:
JOURNALING
In the late 1990’s, I decided I wanted to get involved in martial arts for both self-defense and intense exercise, so I enrolled in Vasquez Taekwondo, which is a dojang started by a family of TKD champions (the son was a Junior Olympian). Once I began my taekwondo journey, I was hooked. I had a daily routine of getting off work (after an hour-long commute), picking the girls up from daycare, making everyone dinner, and then headed to the dojang.

I remember going to Starbucks after my first class wearing my dobok (gi) and white belt. Someone in line made a comment about fearing me (because of the uniform), but another person quickly pointed out that I was “only” a white belt (i.e., beginner). That comment stuck and motivated me to work harder to progress through the ranks.

These photos are very poor quality (they’re scans of polaroids), and I look terrible because I was worn out from my belt test, but I’m glad I have them. The bottom pic shows the board I broke for that particular test. Breaking boards was always one of my favorite parts of the testing process but also the most nerve-wracking. There is no practice for it. You are just expected to be able to do it by using the concepts you’ve learned that allow it to break; all while maintaining perfect form. If the tester holding the board pulls back in any way or doesn’t keep the tension when holding it, you can easily injure both of you. I had a tester flinch one time, and I knocked him back on his rearend several feet. The most exhilaration I ever felt was the first time I broke a board with a spinning back kick. Hearing that loud crack and feeling the swirl of air around me was perfection!

Even though I had to stop practicing TKD after our relocation, the dedication, focus, and time required during my years of taekwondo study are traits I still carry with me, and I’m grateful to have had them.

MICHELINE LINCOLN DESIGNS
Remix: Geek Chic "The Complete Collection"
Love Song "The Complete Collection"
LYNN GRIEVESON DESIGNS
Arty Mess Brushes
Europa Worn Photos
AMY WOLFF DESIGNS
Maybe Today Add-On Stickers
MOMMYISH
Cross My Heart (retired)
KRISTIN AAGARD DESIGNS
Sporty: Alpha Add-On 1
BELLA GYPSY
Americana (retired)
  • There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 11 - Coming Home
    Uploaded By:
    londoncuppa
    Date:
    Jan 16, 2023
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    179.4 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    600px
    Height:
    600px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).