KAPOH

MOC-17_Hindsight

MOC-17_Hindsight
KAPOH, Jan 17, 2020
Description:
JOURNALING:
Hindsight IS 20/20.

I had been a state employee for over 30 years. After two mind-numbing years as a state auditor, in 1979 I started my PERFECT job - as a state parole officer. I wrote presentence investigations for the county Court of Common Pleas. I’d always wanted a job:
(1) in law enforcement,
(2) working in an office,
(3) writing.
That was my job! I never even dreamed of leaving it. I’d be there until I died.

Then, in April 2009, my great job fell apart. The "powers that be" decided to move the two PSI units out of the courthouse, where everything we needed to do the job was located. We would now be with the "supervising" parole officers in a remodeled building a few miles west of downtown. A similar scenario had been tried when the unit was first established and IT DIDN’T WORK.

I told everyone this plan was a disaster, but no one would listen. Then I was told I would maintain the unit's presence in the courthouse and NOT be moving! Well, that was great for me!

However, one week before the move was to take place, a general email was sent out in which I was informed I WOULD be moving after all. I was never told in person about the change of plans and, to add insult to injury, they spelled my name wrong!

I cried nightly on the way home about the impending “doom.” Then it hit me. I had the years in to retire. I did calculations and my pension would basically "net out" to be very close to my salary. AND, the state was even offering a monetary incentive for older workers to retire.

So, I went in the next morning, told the Chief they were making a BIG mistake, and quit!

I've never regretted it for a moment. The big thing is I was able to be with my perfect Shih Tzu when she crossed the Rainbow Bridge shortly before Thanksgiving that year. AND a rescue terrier I call Pennie came into my life the next month.

Oh, and after a few short months, those PSI units were moved right back to the courthouse where they should have stayed to begin with!

MY hindsight IS 20/20.

CREDITS: PHOTO: by Skitterphoto from Pexels; KIT: "Worn Page Edges No. 1" - Lynn Grieveson; FONT: Notebook
    • Pups_r_Paps
      All I can think of when I read your story is the song "Take This Job and Shove It"!!!! What you thought was something horrible has turned out to be a blessing - MayLing and now Pennie.
    • KAPOH
      that just so happens to be what I was thinking all the time I was in Roger's office!
    • EHStudios
      I love how you were able to turn the phrase around at the end to YOUR hindsight. Love that you got to be with your puppy when she crossed & get a new rescue too. This is perfect for the challenge!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 8
    Uploaded By:
    KAPOH
    Date:
    Jan 17, 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    131.7 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    495px
    Height:
    640px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).