jam-on-toast

MOC 11 - Day 21 Time Capsule

MOC 11 - Day 21 Time Capsule
jam-on-toast, Jan 23, 2023
Description:
Template - Family Newsletter Templates by Lynn Grieveson
https://the-lilypad.com/store/Family-Newsletter-Templates.html

Background paper from Page Turner by Micheline Lincoln Designs
https://the-lilypad.com/store/Page-Turner-the-Complete-Collection-by-Micheline-Lincoln-Designs.html

Journaling reads:

My dear future kids,

As I'm writing this, I can't help but wonder what marvels of technology you are surrounded by while reading this. Do iPhones still exist? Or have they disappeared like the Blackberries that your dad and I still remember but you have no memory of? Have your kids even heard of a rotary phone? Or a USB flash drive? Do you yourselves remember what PS4 stands for?

So, this is what your life was like back in 2023

Smartphones - everyone has one. Daddy and I have iPhones while you have Androids. In addition to calling and messaging, we use our smartphones for emails, alarm clocks, reminders, calendars, mobile banking, music, social media, payment apps, location sharing, video games and a million other things. 256GB of storage is considered pretty decent these days. 4G is standard and 5G is on the way

Internet - everything in online these days - and on your smartphone, of course. Your school has provided you with student accounts and everything school-related is posted there. You use Google Classrooms for assignments, Firefly for scheduling and ManageBack for assessments and grading. Parent-teacher conferences are online, even some of your doctor's appointments are a video chat too… Daddy has frequent online management meetings, I teach online only (all my students are on the other side of the world), and even the past couple of family Christmases were online. We meet with friends and family online too. We use Facebook Messenger, Google Meet, Zoom, Webex, Microsoft Teams, WhatsApp… there's hardly a person in this world who doesn't know now to video-chat.

Computers - everyone has their own, I've got ASUS, daddy's got HP and you both have Macs as per school requirements. While we work with Windows, Word, Excel and PowerPoint, you don't… for you everything is Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms… all of those are linked and interconnected and are totally online… you don't click 'save' before you close a document anymore, Google saves it for you automatically.

Gaming - apparently, the screen of your MacBook does not have high enough resolution, nor are the in-built microphone and speakers good enough, so your gaming setup includes an additional 165 Hz monitor, a giant headset, a sophisticated mouse, a separate keyboard (with the personalized click sound), a full-desk mousepad with LED lights casting a ghoulish purple light around the otherwise totally dark room. Minecraft - played on-line, of course, with virtual friends and acquaintances from all over the world - is THE game. We also have a PS4 - PlayStation 4, that daddy plays on weekends. Crash Bandicoot is his current favorite, while Katie sometimes plays Sally Face…

TV - we have two, and they are smart too, but we mostly use them as screens - for PS4 games, for whatever Czech programs we want to stream from the VPN on our laptops, and for family movie nights because they have Netflix and YouTube apps.

iPads: Daddy uses his for work and entertainment - at times it's more convenient than a computer, and I use mine mostly for reading and Netflix, or an occasional video chat. Katie uses hers for drawing (she's got an Apple Pen too, of course). Michal's one is the oldest and can't be updated anymore, but he insisted he doesn't really use it, and so it's gathering dust somewhere in Katie's room (not sure why).
    • Skivvy
      Wow!! I love your take on this challenge.
    • flowersgal
      Such interesting and descriptive journaling. I so enjoyed reading it. Great layout with all the photos that illustrate what you have written.
    • Angela Toucan
      great idea to use the newspaper styled page for your time capsule.
    • LynnG
      What a clever idea for the focus of the time capsule. It will definitely be fascinating to look back on :-)
    • AnEnglishLady
      Wow! I love how you took the idea of a time capsule and went even further. Technology moves at such a fast pace, and has such an impact on our lives. I love how you have spent the time to record this and add photos.
      #MOC11-21 #timecapsule #template
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 11 - Coming Home
    Uploaded By:
    jam-on-toast
    Date:
    Jan 23, 2023
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    395.7 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    600px
    Height:
    600px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).