mary kate

Lumberman Ancestors

Lumberman Ancestors
mary kate, Feb 21, 2020
Description:
I’ve done loads and loads of family history research (have traced my ancestors back to Irish counties ranging from Armagh to Cork, and it’s a long, long way to Tipperary, until you do the research, and realize it wasn’t that long ago that they came from Tipperary…); have tons of info; but no photos. So I’m always trying to figure out how to scrap this info without photos. Here I have used a couple of public domain photos from Library and Archives Canada. And I’ved used green and red for the titles and subtitles, to signify my family’s journey from Ireland to Canada.

Small text journaling (middle photo):

O.J. (Oliver John) Abbott (1872-1962) was an orphan from London, England who was sent to Canada as a British Home Child, where he lived amongst the Irish famers, and spent his winters in the northern lumber camps. He was discovered by the folklorist Edith Fowkes in the late 1950s, and ended up singing trad. Irish and Canadian folk tunes with Pete Seeger at the Newport Folk Festival. He learned some of his traditional Irish songs from our Lahey ancestors.

Wild at Heart page kit: ForeverJoy Designs
https://the-lilypad.com/store/WILD-AT-HEART-PAGE-KIT.html

Loose Leafs: ForeverJoy Designs
https://the-lilypad.com/store/LOOSE-LEAFS-PAPER-PACK.html

Life Recorded templates: The Nifty Pixel and Lynn Grieveson Designs
https://the-lilypad.com/store/Life-Recorded-Templates.html

Fonts: True North; True North Rough; True North Script; My Old Remington
    • bellbird
      love the significance of the red and green and how you have worked without your own photos to tell their stories!
      Lillyia and mary kate like this.
    • mcurtt
      I love seeing your heritage pages. The papers, the lumberjack, the deer are perfect to supplement your story.

I've got at least one photoless heritage page on my DH's side. It isn't approved for TLP's gallery, but I'll send you a PM with it. It may give you some ideas??? I included a couple of actual snippets from a city directory into the page, but other than that, it was just elements.

And on another, I wanted to write about where my DH's great-grandparents lived when they first got married. I found the building on Google maps and scruffed it up a bit. And yes, it went into my book.

Note that these were done years ago, so my style has altered a bit...
      Lillyia likes this.
    • flowersgal
      This is just wonderful. I especially love reading your history and you have created an appealing layout. I, too, struggle with no photos of many ancestors and you have given me some ideas of new possibilities. Thanks.

@mcurtt - would you send it to me too as you know I struggle and am always in search of ideas in this regard.
    • mary kate
      mcurtt likes this.
    • mcurtt
      @flowersgal Let me know if it doesn't work. I just invited you to the conversation that contains the two heritage images I talked about.
      Lillyia likes this.
    • Lillyia
      This is wonderful. Attractive page with just enough journaling to draw in the reader. Ditto what mcurtt and flowersgal have said above. I really do like your work.
      mary kate likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    ForeverJoy Designs
    Uploaded By:
    mary kate
    Date:
    Feb 21, 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    250.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    600px
    Height:
    600px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).