rlucasmn

Jan26_MOC

Jan26_MOC
rlucasmn, Jan 28, 2018
Description:
January 26 - Tradition/Heritage (Journaling)
Dawn Inskip – Memories – papers, elements, layers
    • rlucasmn
      Journaling - 165 words:

When my mother passed in 2002, one of the searches for pictures and memorabilia for her memorial service yielded this news article. As I was only six at the time, I don’t remember when she received the honor of being named Mother of the Year. I don’t even remember the picture being taken. However, I do remember my mother as one who never let her debilitating illness destroy her desire to make a difference.

I can imagine both the excitement of being photographed for this story, as well as the probable struggle that went on to corral the whole family, get them dressed up, and have them behave for the camera. Looking at this picture, I see the mischievous twinkle in my brother’s eye, the goofiness in my younger sisters pose, and the shyness in my own face as I’m biting my lips. I wish my memory was good enough to remember this day.

Preserved here is the full text of the original newspaper article.
    • rlucasmn
      Newspaper article text:

Sclerosis Society Honors Wife of Webster’s Buchanan

MANCHESTER, MO. – The wife of Richard B. Buchanan of the Webster Division has been named Multiple Sclerosis Mother of the Year by the St. Louis Area Chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society. Mr. Buchanan is Director of Consultant Services and senior product manager for Language Arts in Webster.

When his wife contracted multiple sclerosis five years ago, she refused to become an invalid. Mother of six children, she retained a cheerful outlook, feels fortunate to be able to walk with a cane and has established a dressmaking business to keep in contact with people and the world around her. Her daughters do most of the cooking and housework at their Chesterfield, Mo., home.

Mrs. Buchanan will represent the Multiple Sclerosis Society in eastern Missouri and southern Illinois and will assist in the 1970 MS Hope Chesterfield Campaign lasting from Mother’s Day, May 10, to Father’s Day, June 21.

Mrs. Buchanan formerly was a teacher/librarian who trained at Fairmont State Teachers College and at West Virginia University.
    • IntenseMagic
      What a beautiful page and beautiful story!! Your mother sounds like an amazing woman. MS is so debilitating. So interesting that we both chose to scrap about our mothers and at around the same time and that they both attended WVU. We must be about the same age. I would have been 5 in 1970. The photo I used of my mother for the layout was from a press release. After seeing your page, I wish I had included the exact wording from it as well. I may have to go back and add that!
      rlucasmn likes this.
    • rlucasmn
      @IntenseMagic we are close to the same age for sure. Yes, I find it very interesting that we both chose our moms and have that West Virginia connection. I love what we find out about each other in these forums!
    • Iowan
      What a strong and courageous woman and your have done such a nice job of remembering her. I'm sure this layout will be treasured for generations. Thanks for printing out the new story too. Your page is gorgeous. Thanks for taking the heritage challenge!!
      rlucasmn likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 6
    Uploaded By:
    rlucasmn
    Date:
    Jan 28, 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    241.7 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    800px
    Height:
    800px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).