Pups_r_Paps

Interview-with-the-Vampire

Interview-with-the-Vampire
Pups_r_Paps, Feb 22, 2017
Description:
JOURNALING: Interview with the Vampire –
(actually the Pteropus Vampyrus at the Columbus Zoo 9-15-15).

QUESTION: Should humans be concerned about you sucking our blood?

ANSWER: There are over 1200 species of bats in the world and only 3 receive nourishment via blood. I, myself enjoy fruits and vegetables, hence the more common name of “Fruit Bat” or “Flying Fox”.

QUESTION: What is the size range of bats.

ANSWER: I’m one of the largest bats in the world with a wingspan of almost five feet. The smallest bats are about the size of a bumblebee.

QUESTION: Aren’t you just a flying rodent?

ANSWER: Absolutely not. Bats are mammals, the only mammal capable of powered flight – others such as “flying squirrels” actually just glide.

QUESTION: What is the most common misconception about bats?

ANSWER: That we are pests – but we actually keep the insect population under control. One bat can eat thousands of insects in just one night. We also reseed deforested land and help pollinate plants.

QUESTION: Is it true all bats are blind?

ANSWER: Although some of my species use high-frequency sounds to locate insects in midair, Flying Foxes actually use our keen eyesight and sharp olfactory sense to find food.

CREDITS: “Time Teller”, etc by Danyale; “Haunted”, Kristin Aagard; “Of Wishes, Hopes and Dreams”, Multi
    • KAPOH
      ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS!!!!!!!! I love bats (although Fruit Bats are not my favorite of the species) and these pictures are super. The Q&A is wonderful to give people a real feeling for how valuable our bat population is to humankind. GREAT!!!!
    • HeatherB
      This is fantastic! Love the series of Q&A with the bats and I love that cute bat from the "Haunted" kit. Nice work with the title, switching the colour of the font as it went over the black paper strip. Wonderful page!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Journaling Challenge
    Uploaded By:
    Pups_r_Paps
    Date:
    Feb 22, 2017
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    127 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    495px
    Height:
    640px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).