SeattleSheri

If these walls could talk

If these walls could talk
SeattleSheri, Jan 20, 2019
Description:
January 20 - Storytelling

A Thousand Yeas by Becca Bonneville
Treasured Places by TLP

Journaling: If these walls could talk, what would they say? Built in 1910, she boasts views of both Downtown Seattle and Lake Washington and is situated next to a covered reservoir that was converted to a premier park in 2013. Our house is over a century old, making it one of the oldest houses in Seattle, and especially in our neighborhood. When we bought the house it came with a “vintage” photo from the 1940s - already 30 years into her tenure. Wouldn’t it be interesting to know the story behind her construction? She’s clearly changed over the years. The previous owners did a complete remodel in 2006 where they updated everything and added another bedroom, a bathroom, a mud room and back porch. There is also a fun little play nook which is perfect for kids. They really maximized the space and made it kid-friendly to accommodate their twins. The new bathroom built off the main floor bedroom makes a perfect nanny quarters (which I would later learn was exactly how it was used). I often speculate about her history. How many families have lived here? How has the neighborhood changed over the years? Have the walls always rejoiced with laughter?
Ironically, I actually met someone who used to live in this house. What are the chances in a metropolitan area of over 1 million that I would work directly with someone who was close friends with the previous owner and had lived in our house for 6 months! She was able to describe what the house looked like before its renovation and give us some history. I know from looking at purchase and sale records, she was sold in 1986 and 1999 before being sold to us in 2012.
We haven’t done many updates to the house (other than maintenance), but are finally preparing to remodel and finish the 1,000 sq ft basement by adding another family room, a modernized laundry room, a wine cellar and a better game room (which will also serve as a guest room).
Clearly she has many more stories to tell!

Thanks for looking (and reading)!
    • ellasspace
      Love this, our house was built in the 1960,s so many changes and history here too. It has gone from a small 3 bedroom 1 bath home at 1700 sf to over 4000 sf now plus a 4000 sf garage addition. We have a large notebook the two former owners put together through the years that show all the changes made. It’s been renovated twice and we are now making changes to make it ours.
    • kirstiegai
      Goodluck with the remodelling, looks like you have a great strong base to work on
    • Cherylndesigns
      What a beautiful home and wonderful story! You're so right - if walls could talk, we'd sure hear some stories! Wonderful pictures and journaling!!
    • flowersgal
      What wonderful photos and a great story. A few years ago we lived in an old house and we had to do most of the remodeling (it was a money pit) but I was always interested in knowing its history and wondered about the many families who had lived there in the century since it had been built.
    • LoveItScrapIt
      That is a wonderful story. I love that this looks similar to magazine style with the layout and the journaling block. The shadows on the word strips add depth. Lovely page!!! and Story!
    • londoncuppa
      How exciting to get a remodel of your home, Sheri! Great page!
    • Sokee
      How Cool that your home came with the original goodies!!! AND I love to remodel and make things 'my own'
      Thanks for sharing!
    • amien1
      I just totally dig the historical stuff about our homes, where we live, etc! My mom's house was built in 1904 & has some pretty crazy stories about it (I seriously think it's haunted!) Your layout is beautiful as is your home! :)
    • jesskab
      My goodness, that is a transformation! I love how you gave us the background & details of remodeling. Thank you so much for joining the storytelling challenge!
    • Justagirl
      So interesting to see the house changing with the times. Ours was built in 1949 never been touched don the outside and will begin its transformation in next year. Its exciting seeing a house get a new identity but in keeping with the original feel of the home. Thanks for sharing the story.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 7
    Uploaded By:
    SeattleSheri
    Date:
    Jan 20, 2019
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    498.3 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    700px
    Height:
    700px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).