frutselke

FerryFreedom MOC10 26

FerryFreedom MOC10 26
frutselke, Feb 2, 2022
Description:
MOC10 Challenge 26 Remembrance or Tribute

This is a tribute to traveling on the many ferries we have in the Netherlands.

Journaling:
We live close to some big rivers like the river Maas and the river Waal. And our favourite way to cross them is by ferry. I know, motorways and bridges make it so much easier and faster to go from A to B. But traveling the backroads and crossing rivers by ferry is much more fun. Somehow a ferry crossing feels adventurous and exciting.

At the Northern boundary of our town is the river Bergsche Maas. It is not really a natural river. The
Bergsche Maas is actually a canal, created to serve as a flood defense. At the time that the Bergsche Maas was dug,it meant land would become separated by the new river.

To keep the people on both sides of the new waterway connected, three ferry crossings were created. Those ferries are still in service and well used. They are able to take pedestrians, cyclists and cars across, as well as tractors so farmers can work their land on both sides of the Bergsche Maas.

We like to go on a ‘ferry round’, as we call it. We travel around the region, using the ferries to go from one riverside to the other.

The Bergsche Maas Ferries are not the only ferries nearby. All along the river Maas are ferry crossings. And it’s the same for the other rivers and streams in our country. We love taking a detour so we can get on one of them when we travel.

Over the years we have been on all kinds of ferries. There are the regular river crossing ferries, but we have also been on small ferries just for cyclists and pedestrians. In towns and parks we’ve used rope ferries. And last, but certainly not least, we have traveled on the big ferries to and from Britain.
There is always a sense of freedom when traveling by ferry and we love it!

Credits: 'This Is Us' collab by Rachel Jefferies, Micheline Lincoln Designs, Little Butterfly Wings and Pink Reptile Design
    • cfile
      Anja, I loved reading about the ferries and how you use them for your travels on both sides of the river and other ferries in your country. I enjoyed the ferry when I took it from Belgium to York as well as the UK ferries to and from Ireland and No. Ireland to the UK.. It is so calming being on the water and as you said it is a lovely detour! I love how you scrapped this along with your title work. Well done!

Thank you for playing along with MOC day 26 Rememberance & tribute challenge!
      frutselke likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 10
    Uploaded By:
    frutselke
    Date:
    Feb 2, 2022
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    227 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    600px
    Height:
    600px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).