adriablack

December Documented - Day17 - MOC9 Story

December Documented - Day17 - MOC9 Story
adriablack, Jan 17, 2021
Description:
MOC 9 - #11 - Tell a Story

Credits:
Winter Wonderland - Kristin Aagard (white solid & snowflake paper)
Jingle all the way (patterned papers) - Little Butterfly Wings (pink plaid paper)
All the Little Joys: Mixed Media Artistry - Rachel Jefferies (stars, sequins, twine, reindeer)
Buttermilk Hill: The Stickers - Becca Bonneville (bike, hearts, frames, word strip)

Journaling: (573 words)
Atizle received a bike and helmet as a prize from Skipalong, her daycare when she was 3. It was a very pretty Elsa themed bike, blue and white and pink, with snowflakes on it. At three years old, she had very little interest in learning how to ride a bike. So we kept it at my mom, until she had more interest in riding. When she was four, I brought it home and Jamie tried to teach her how to ride. She would often just push herself along on the bike with her feet, and the training wheels that were on it would keep her upright as she went up and down our sidewalk. The Elsa bike hung out for a couple years, getting played with but not really ridden, and Atizle still never wanted to try to learn how to ride it. Eventually, after years of storage outside the bike came to be in not great shape and one of her older friends popped the wheels while he was playing with it. It was ruined. But Atizle had also outgrown it and couldn't have ridden it even if she wanted to.

Instead, we replaced it with a scooter, which Atizle loved. One of her friends had a scooter and Atizle wanted one to ride with her. She would soar around the neighborhood with it. It was pink and a bell on it, which Atizle could ring. It made the most obnoxious noise. Atizle always loved to go fast down hills on it. She still loves her scooter, even today. But she still never had a desire to learn to ride a bike, so we didn't see the need to get her one or to teach her how to ride it.

Which leads me to today. On October 6th, 2020, our neighbor, Todd, gave Atizle a used Hello Kitty bike, because she had been wanting to ride a bike with her friends in the neighborhood. She didn't know how to ride, but her friends kept going on bike rides and leaving her behind, because she couldn't keep up with her scooter. In October, she rode a handful of times trying to learn how to ride. But she kept getting frustrated because she was scared of falling over, even though we managed to figure out a way to put training wheels on the bike. And so it sat. And sat. Until Winter.

Yes. In December, my daughter decided she wanted to learn how to ride her bike. So with cold temperatures and sometimes snow on the ground, we practiced riding the bike. I would walk beside her, while she focused on pushing the pedals and steering the bike. We did this for several days in a row, doing a big circle around the neighborhood. She learned how to pedal up the hills, and how to brace herself when she went down the hills. And finally, I started to let go and just walk next to her. And she did it! She was able to go around the block all by herself!

She will still need lots of practice to get more confidence in riding. But I think, come Spring, that we will be able to start taking bike rides together. And she will have something else to do with her friends. And she learned something new! I'm so proud of her for trying and trying. I'm glad that she didn't give up on it.
    • Saar
      Oh what a beautiful story. I loved reading it. And you scrapped it beautifully.
      adriablack likes this.
    • bestcee
      That's so much fun that she decided to was time to learn! I love the photos you took showing 2018 and 2020. The frames around her to highlight are perfect. Thanks for playing in my challenge!
      adriablack likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 9
    Uploaded By:
    adriablack
    Date:
    Jan 17, 2021
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    238.5 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    700px
    Height:
    700px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).