Pups_r_Paps

Deardurff House

Deardurff House
Pups_r_Paps, Jan 31, 2018
Description:
JOURNALING: Before my sister retired, she was a probation officer for the state of Ohio and had to make home visits in some less-than-savory parts of the city. On one such visit she drove by this house completely covered in a black tarp. Curious, she noted the location and determined to find out more about it. She was excited to learn this was the site of the first post office in Franklin County. Back then, I had just become involved in a hobby called “waymarking” (like a scavenger hunt for unique and interesting locations in the world) so we decided this historic site would make an ideal subject. Our first visit was in October 2008. My sister’s travel troll, Winnie Waymarker, was with us so was prominent in our pictures. The next time we visited the site was in 2014. We were excited to see the tarp was gone and the exposed structure was fascinating to see. There was a sign indicating the significance of the house in the history of the city and suggesting the renovation was part of the bicentennial celebration of Columbus (but that was in 2012!). Nothing much happened to the house until last year. Imagine our excitement when we drove by the house in 2017 to discover all the work that had been done. It’s now obvious that renovation is progressing – there’s a new roof, red siding, and plexiglass “windows” throughout revealing the original structure of the building. Can’t wait to see the progress on my next visit to Columbus.

CREDITS: TEMPLATE (resized): "Focus", Dawn Inskip; KITS: "Artifact", Sara Gleason; "Treasures and Memories" and "Time Teller", etc by Danyale; "Vintage Pieces #12", Mommyish; "Light Me Home", Lynn Grieveson; "M3 - Journey-Adventurous-Crossroads", Paula Kesselring and Little Butterfly Wings; FONTS: Times New Roman, Complete in Him
    • jenn mccabe
      so much detail - love your journaling and the different ways you have added the photos! beautiful!
    • KAPOH
      This place has been dear to my heart since I first "stumbled" on this important piece of the city's history so many years ago. I love this lesson that talks about the house and shows the s-l-o-w restoration. I like the addition of the envelopes and stamps, paying tribute to the house's former "job" of post office. We saw the house just before our birthday in 2017 and it was one of the nicest presents I could have received! With the current "gentrification" of the Franklinton area, I hope they don't decide to tear down this "old" house after all the work!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 6
    Uploaded By:
    Pups_r_Paps
    Date:
    Jan 31, 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    130.8 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    495px
    Height:
    640px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).