paivi

Darkness

Darkness
paivi, Dec 25, 2014
Description:

I live in southern Finland where most of the December days are dark if the snow has not arrived yet. So I thought about "Dark days" for the One Word Challenge. Here's a photo from last year where my husband is spreading the sand to make the front yard a bit less slippery. I wrote about how the darkness makes me feel. We have the word "kaamosväsymys" which means the symptoms that continueing darkness causes to people.

I used Allison Pennington's kit We All Fall Down and Amy Martin's template Capturing Fall.
    • PLM
      Oh gosh, I am not happy with the days being so short here. I find myself kind of 'mildly depressed', so I would definitely not be able to live in your country...
      Great scrapping to tell your story!
    • dvhoward
      What a great 'night' shot in your photo.  Love the sombre feel you gave to the layout, matches your journaling (thanks for the explanation, BTW, since I can't read your native language).
    • NancyBeck
      This is so interesting, I did not know that.  A long string of cloudy days like we've had so far this winter is bad enough, I can't imagine the effects of long term complete darkness!
    • HeatherB
      Great job of getting a good photo in the darkness. How long is it dark for, is it almost the entire day? We have a much shorter day in December, I think it gets dark around 5pm, but we're not as far north as you are. Wonderful page.
    • paivi
      Thanks all! The darkness can be as bad as 5 to 10 hours of sunshine in one month! That means total 5 to 10 hours! When the snow arrives, it gets easier as the snow reflects the light. At the moment the view is nothing like in the photo. The whole Finland is a beautiful white winter wonderland! The snow arrived to southern Finland just for Christmas!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    One Word Challenge
    Uploaded By:
    paivi
    Date:
    Dec 25, 2014
    View Count:
    Comment Count: