yellowpeep

Cupcakes for Justice

Cupcakes for Justice
yellowpeep, Aug 23, 2017
Description:
Fiddle Dee Dee- All of Me Loves (Dressed Down)

Lynne-Marie- Annabelle elements and papers

Heather Joyce- The Branch

Journaling: Today, my seven year old kid made $95 selling cupcakes to people driving by. She and her sister baked and decorated 48 cupcakes, made signs and then sat in our front yard for five and a half hours. The Walpole Food Bank, Habitat for Humanity, the ACLU and the Southern Poverty Law Center have new donations coming their way. When choosing organizations for donations, Morgan wanted to work to give people three things: food, shelter and protection.
Sitting there in the sun today, they met and chatted with neighbors from all over our town-- the local Postal Worker, the guy who delivers pizzas, the guy in his 90's who still walks a few miles every day. My kids had a unique opportunity to meet and talk with people who live in our community and to tell them more about the organizations for whom they were raising money.
Lots of people still have this notion that in order for others to have power, protection, respect and rights, they have to give up their own. That there is a finite amount of it to go around and they need to hoard and protect their fair share. They look at someone in need and think, "Why should I give something I earned to someone else? They didn't earn it-- I did. They should just work harder, like me." Today, my kids worked their asses off, made all kinds of money and aren't keeping one penny of it. Today, my kids had the opportunity to meet dozens of people whose faces lit up when they realized they were going to enjoy a cupcake AND support good causes. At the end of the day, they were exhausted and happy. Sounds trite but in earning money for others, they earned something for themselves too. It felt damn good to do something nice.
    • Sokee
      Beautiful layout and even more Beautiful is you are not Raising a Me child! Good for them!
      yellowpeep likes this.
    • AllisonPennington
      It's been a privilege to watch these two grow from afar! xo
      yellowpeep likes this.
    • jenn mccabe
      there is not one thing trite about any of this Liana. it's amazing! i love the sense of community and giving you are fostering ... in the wake of something as devastating as Harvey, a reminder to do good any day - and in your own community "just because" - is so refreshing, so welcome and so VERY special. what an amazing experience for all ... and i love the trio of reasons for picking those charities. really special little people you have there! and the page and your girls are just beautiful! :beat
      yellowpeep likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Lynne-Marie
    Uploaded By:
    yellowpeep
    Date:
    Aug 23, 2017
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    234.2 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    600px
    Height:
    600px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).