dawnmarch

Strieble

Strieble
dawnmarch, Jan 26, 2018
Description:
Made with Good Morning Sunshine by Allison Pennington. Alpha is from Jan 2017 For the Love of 2017 kit by Allison Pennington.

Journaling:
Growing up, Dianne and I would visit our Danzeisen grandparents for a week in the summer. It was usually a languid week of doing puzzles, watching TV, a lot of church and bible instruction, walking across the field for Aunt Anna’s cookies and just generally hanging around. Grandma Margaret, who was a great seamstress, taught us to sew and to crochet. She was a great cook too – mostly in the meat and potatoes tradition. But the treat that we always begged for during these stays was Strieble, which we pronounced something like “streebalees.” Researching this more recently, I discovered that Strieble is a traditional dish of southern Germany which was popularized in the US by the Pennsylvania Dutch. The Danzeisen family was from southern Germany and lived in Pennsylvania Dutch Country so Grandma could have learned to make them in either way. Strieble is, basically, funnel cake made by swirling a sweet liquid batter (kind of like thin pancake batter) into hot oil or butter. Although they are traditionally served with powdered sugar or jam, we always ate ours with clear Caro syrup. I have no idea if that was just a family tradition, what Grandma always had on hand or to reduce the mess of powdered sugar but it was delicious. Dad could make them too but they were never quite the same as at Grandma’s house. I miss those summers with my Grandma when the days were long and lazy and we could enjoy “streebalees” with the guilt-free joy of a child enjoying her favorite treat.
Mylinn and AllisonPennington like this.
    • QuiltyMom
      Ooh, looks yummy! I love the kit you used, and great story.
    • Iowan
      I think I gained 10 pounds just looking at your gorgeous layout. Super photography here. Strieble does look like funnel cakes, yummy. I miss that guilt free eating time of life. Thanks for taking the heritage challenge!!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 6
    Uploaded By:
    dawnmarch
    Date:
    Jan 26, 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    113.3 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    600px
    Height:
    600px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).