KAPOH

23.Missing-You

23.Missing-You
KAPOH, Jan 23, 2017
Description:
Missing You
As the spirit in these walls, I've seen many changes over the years. The most significant one was 12/22/56 when I saw what looked like a harry wig on my floor. When the humans found it, they were a jumble of emotions: surprised, happy, scared. They took the wig away, but returned it some time later. That's when I discovered it wasn't a wig, but a miniature version of the inhabitants in my enclosure, the beings humans called "gorilla." They named her "Colo," after our city, Columbus, Ohio and gently hand-raised her from a cute, cuddly, wide-eyed creature to a confident, proud member of the gorilla family. Other humans flocked to see her and she soon became the star of the compound. She was only two when a new gorilla was introduced into the family. I heard he was from a place called Africa. He was named Bongo, and he and Colo went on to produce three tiny replicas, Emmy, Oscar, and Toni. While these babies didn't stay long, Colo did raise her twin grandsons, Macombo II and Mosuba. I've heard she had 16 grandchildren, 12 great grandchildren and three great-great grandchildren. She and Bongo were together 25 years before he was gone. She became more solitary in her old age, but there was no doubt who was the queen of the family and still popular with the crowds that came to see her. Sometimes her daughter, Toni, stopped by for a visit. Just last month, there was a birthday party for Colo. Six tomato and apple cakes (yuk, but she loves them), no less, one for each decade of her long and healthy life. She enjoyed her gifts and wearing the paper chain decorations. A large crowd of humans celebrated with her. A few days ago, there was another celebration for a human named Martin Luther King. Colo entertained the crowd by tossing around a baseball cap. It was a fun day. But, the next day, something was different. Colo wasn't here, after 60 years. I've been looking for her to return, but it hasn't happened yet. The crowds of humans are smaller now and they don't seem as happy as they used to. I guess we are all missing our old friend.

CREDITS: PHOTOS: web; KIT: Happy by Fiddle Dee Dee, One Little Bird, Valerie Wibbens, Kristin Aagard, Tangie Baxter, and Mommyish; FONT: Comic Sans
MrsPeel and cfile like this.
    • cfile
      what a wonderful page and history of the gorillas... I loved reading it from the perspective of the zoo enclosure walls and the visits of of the babies and grandbabies of the gorillas. fun read!
      MrsPeel likes this.
    • Pups_r_Paps
      Oh, I have tears reading what the walls are saying - so creative. You included a lot of history about this marvelous creature, and wonderful photos.
      MrsPeel likes this.
    • Nightshadow
      Wonderful journaling...the entire history of the life of a beloved zoo animal. You've captured it all perfectly in this beautiful page.
      MrsPeel likes this.
    • MrsPeel
      girl, you have moved me twice big time with this...one because your creativity on your choice of story, the way you have told it is so beautiful that has me sad, I could ee the party happening, the myriad of babys being born and these amazing animals growing in life ..... and then you really really honor me with the going the extra mile to write such a beautiful, all around journaling when you weren't required to do so much, and I don't think you journal much in general....so thank you thank you so much- first for giving us a beautiful story so very beautifully told, and then for naking the extra effort for this challenge..... Love your page, thanks for introducing me to Colo & the family, and for being part of this family of ours here at The Pad- :heartlub:heartlub:heartlub
    • heatherhiggs
      Wonderful Layout. The Columbus Zoo is our favorite Zoo to visit! I have wonderful photos of my daughter interacting with Colo. sweet memories.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 5
    Uploaded By:
    KAPOH
    Date:
    Jan 23, 2017
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    132.2 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    640px
    Height:
    495px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).