easyeyes4you

2019-MOC-Day-31-TN-journaling

2019-MOC-Day-31-TN-journaling
easyeyes4you, Feb 2, 2019
Description:
For some reason my Mom loved Gossipy little secrets, ... One of her juiciest stories involved her Aunt Agnes, my Grandmother’s oldest sister, and Grandpa Trethewey’s 2nd child... He would have been my Great grandfather. Back in those days families tended to be intensely religious and the patriarch ruled with an iron hand... so Mom loved to tell how Agnes, aspired to be a (shudder) actress!!!! and finally left home to pursue her dreams... According to Mom, her father disowned her... We knew she had an illegitimate (we think) child and that she died young (age 32) and that her sister Rebecca Morton adopted the baby girl and raised her. A few years ago, I was dabbling in genealogy and discovered in Grandmas papers, letters written to Great Grandpa by both Agnes and a woman who cared for her as she was dying... I found the letters, to be full of love on all sides... no mention of being disowned, he appeared to love her dearly.

For most of my life, I have known that Alvin and Alan Cheetham were very important to my Mom. I never knew how or why? I learned that Alan had a daughter Paula living in my town, and met her once... She gave me her parents phone number and a few years ago I called them. One lovely afternoon Virginia, Alan’s wife, and I got together on my patio and started sharing family stories... I got shivers when I realized that she was related to this girl! Florence would have technically been my mother’s cousin and she was Florence Morton Cheetham, Alan’s mother, and Virginia’s mother in law!!! I recognized the name as being on the back of my Grandmother’s wedding photo... Went and got it and sure enough... that baby girl , now a young woman, in 1904 was the maid of honor! .... Alvin and Alan (Virginia’s husband) and a sister Ethel were the children of Agnes’s daughter and Albert Cheetham!!!!

To make all of this even more interesting to me, is the fact that Grandpa Trethewey lived in Eastern Canada, Agnes died in Texas, several of the 8+ children moved to the Seattle area and here I was, a century later in Redding CA talking to Agnes’s daughter in law! Never understood how people managed to migrate so far back then, late 1800’s-1900’s.

My sister and I were quite fascinated with this whole story and spent many hours trying to find more information on Agnes, to no avail... Her stage name was Lillie Elliot. Apparently she never made it big...

https://the-lilypad.com/store/bethany-botany.html

https://the-lilypad.com/store/kaleidoscope.html

8 rebecca_Bethany_FlowerStems

rmcmeen_Kaleidoscope_Hand1Alternate

rmcmeen_Kaleidoscope_Paper1

rmcmeen_Kaleidoscope_border_customize

rmcmeen_Kaleidoscope_SmallOccasions

rmcmeen_Kaleidoscope_InkSplatter

rmcmeen_Kaleidoscope_AsIWrite

rmcmeen_Kaleidoscope_InkCollage

rmcmeen_Kaleidoscope_Tape2

rmcmeen_Kaleidoscope_Camera

APennington_AutumnAesthetic_Bit (1)

etc_dan_countryside_pp14
CarolynJoyce77 likes this.
  • There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 7
    Uploaded By:
    easyeyes4you
    Date:
    Feb 2, 2019
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    249.4 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    600px
    Height:
    600px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).