mcurtt

2016-04_Apr-TLP-MM3_Lyme_web

2016-04_Apr-TLP-MM3_Lyme_web
mcurtt, Apr 16, 2016
Description:
Aside from the tick images from the internet, 100% is from the April MM3 & a few pieces from March's MM3.

The journaling:
New Years Eve - 2007. I woke up with vertigo, strange... It was so severe I almost vomited. That day was the beginning of 5+ years of agony, debilitating pain, a myriad of strange symptoms, like an alien had taken control of my normally healthy body. I was a mess & didn’t know why. As the months progressed, my doctor had no clue, other than my labwork proved something was amiss. She threw up her hands, sent me to a rheumatologist who decided to bequest me with a diagnosis of the week. He was condescending, prescribed prednisone for me, and then later wanted me on methotrexate. Against my better judgement, I took the prednisone for a month. His final diagnosis was rheumatoid arthritis, he rattled off the RA website & told me to read up on it. So I did, but my symptoms didn’t match RA. I had hip issues, arm & shoulder issues, knee pain, racing heart rates. My pain was so intense I couldn’t dress myself, I couldn’t roll over in bed. I screamed getting into the car, I screamed trying to take a shower. But the “good” doctor did one thing. The RA site had some Lyme links, I clicked on them, started reading case studies that sounded like me. At that point, I was convinced I had Lyme. Out of 40+ Lyme symptoms, in May 2008 I had 30 of them. The nearest Lyme-literate doctor was up in Fond du Lac, 120 miles away. I called for an appointment, but he was so booked in advance, I couldn’t get in for another 3 months. And so I just hung on to hope, screamed with pain & slept a lot. When I finally met my doctor, I cried with relief. After hearing my symptoms, my story, he was convinced I had classic Lyme. 18 vials of blood & extensive labwork confirmed it. And so began my SLOW and lengthy journey back to health. Lyme is not easy to rid. I was on antibiotics for a couple of years, took supplements to bolster my immune system. The pain gradually subsided, but it took years to find relief. In March 2013 I was released, with yearly checkups. I am lucky, I am whole again, I am pain-free. It has changed me, it has humbled me, it has made me a healthier individual.

And the quote which is SO true:
And once the storm is over, you won’t remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won’t even be sure, whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm, you won’t be the same person who walked in. That’s what this storm’s all about.
-Haruki Murakami
MrsPeel likes this.
    • MrsPeel
      Marylin...honestly, you are such an amazing artist...and now I see where all that intense art that shows up in your pages comes from.... I am not saying that all great artist are those who know suffering, but most of my most favorites are.... I thought there was no cure for Lyme, so this make me happy to read that at least you are now pain free.... as a woman who lives with chronic pain, I can most definitely know how you feel.... and this is one of the things I love the most about this form of art, the scrapbooking, that leads me to know people I admire in every way possible. I hope to get to know you more, as I already consider you a great member of the Pad's family... love the power you have to convert something so hurtful and suffered into the beauty of this page. Into the Froggy Favorites
      mcurtt likes this.
    • mcurtt
      @MrsPeel Thank you for the honor! It isn't the prettiest of my pages, but Lyme is not pretty. I wish it on no one. At first I wasn't going to include the journaling in my credits, but I decided to make it easier to read. There may be someone struggling with similar issues, and it may lead them down the right path. I am totally convinced that if I hadn't been treated for it, I would either be 100% disabled right now or dead.
      MrsPeel likes this.
    • MrsPeel
      it maybe not the "prettiest" page you made...but , you see, for me, art is about who you are, wether you write or not, and scrapbooking is about putting your record into pages, be that photo or not, journaling or not.... this is why I have trouble making art journal pages that cannot translate into what I am living, because I (ME- MYSELF I am not saying is the right way) to me, journalin as in art journaling is to put down your "Jourmey"... I am SO so very glad you did transcribed it. I am so very glad you are here. You are awesomely talented and your talent goes so far beyond the surface. I love pretty pages, love them. I love beauty. But things like this? I am passionate about. To me art had to make me feel...and you have achieved that..... :heartlub:heartlub:heartlub sorry about typos ....
      mcurtt likes this.
    • Dalis
      Oh wow Marilyn, what a story and journey. I can't even imagine the pain you were in. I do love your page, the colors, the mess, the big ticks, everything tells the story so perfectly.
      mcurtt likes this.
    • staciahall
      mcurtt likes this.
    • mcurtt
      staciahall likes this.
    • AnneofAlamo
      I want to stand and cheer!! that you look back at the storm and the humbleness thru the agony comes out, and I am just in complete awe and have been taught. I had NO idea of Lyme's pain, intensity or healing length. This page is to me why art journaling is so releasing. There is not a poor me, there is an outpouring of art and creating, that is a bit of a healing balm to the creator, and teaching to the viewer!
      mcurtt likes this.
    • faerywings
      A friend over at Oscraps pointed this LO out to me, and I had to comment and give love to a Lyme Sister. I love hearing good stories that have a positive resolution. (Still waiting for mine LOL) Your page really reflects the journey of the disease, and I always find AJ/grungy pages are good therapy when I am feeling poorly. Thank you soooo much for sharing your very personal journaling. xo
      mcurtt likes this.
    • mcurtt
      @faerywings Wishing you the best! Don't give up, it is such a long recovery process that everyone has doubts. There were months/years that I wondered if I would ever get better. Please take care.:heartslub
    • Serena
      The quote and ending, "I'm a survivor" are so powerful and lovely. I really like how you've slammed the colors together to show the chaos that things like this bring, to show the warring emotions. I really like the journaling, how it helps to not feel so alone, to know there are others out there that have similar experiences. This is a gorgeous layout and so well put together. -Hugs
      mcurtt likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Mixed Media Monthly
    Uploaded By:
    mcurtt
    Date:
    Apr 16, 2016
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    241.4 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    600px
    Height:
    776px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).