Zoo Lovers | Pad Patter 4.8

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Apr 8, 2018.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

So according to my calendar, today is National Zoo Lovers Day! I was just telling my daughter the other day that we need to go and take my grandson. We love the zoo! Our favorite is the North Carolina Zoo, in Asheboro, NC. It is the nation's largest walk-through natural habitat zoo - no cages and more than 5 miles of walkway, and it's just beautiful! It's about a 3 hour drive for us, so not a bad day trip, but we usually make it an overnighter.

Are you a zoo lover? Do you go often? Do you a favorite zoo?

LoveItScrapIt and AJK like this.
  2. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

we like to go to a zoo or safari park at least once a year. Our favourite is Chester Zoo.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  3. Sunberry2

Sunberry2 Full of secret tidbits

We love going to the zoo! I used to have a membership when we went often in the course of a year, with our schedules these days it's hard. But just yesterday my mom joined us to visit the Phoenix Zoo. We were wanting to see the special dinosaur exhibit before it left.
    I enjoy the Phoenix Zoo but my favorites might go to San Diego or Point Defiance (in Washington state) - I love the panda and polar bears!

amien1 and IntenseMagic like this.
  4. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

You must be somewhat near us- We haven't been to the Asheboro zoo yet- but now it is on our list. My all time favorite zoo is the Columbus Zoo- Jack Hannah's stomping ground. I was born in Ohio- and went there a couple of times as a kid. The Riverbanks zoo in Columbia SC is pretty neat too- has ziplines, splash pad, climbing challenges, oh, and animals too! We have to renew our membership...

5. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

Sounds beautiful. We love zoos too, we've been to a handful so far and want to see more around the country. The one in NC sounds wonderful.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  6. IntenseMagic

I am in southern West Virginia, like almost as far south as you can get lol. It only takes us about an hour and a half to get in to North Carolina, so a lot of our trips and vacations are in the Carolinas :) We might have to check out the one in Columbia...that's only about a 4 hour drive, and my childhood bff lives there!

7. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

We love zoos, too. My favorite was the San Diego Zoo. We used to live in the Detroit metropolitan area, and the Detroit Zoo was a wonderful zoo, too. I went on many field trips to that one. I love them all, big or small.

amien1 likes this.
  8. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I was just thinking we should go to the zoo. I want to take pictures of the animals. And the NC zoo is our zoo. It is about 1.5 hours from my house. So hey - next time you go, maybe we could meet you there.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  9. IntenseMagic

That would be great!! I'll let you know when we plan to go. I want to go before it gets tooooo hot. I've been in August...that was not as fun lol.

BevG likes this.
  10. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

We love the zoo too! We actually just went to Pt. Defiance Zoo & Aquarium (in Tacoma, WA right on the water- so gorgeous!) a few days ago while we were in town visiting family. We've also gone to the Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle & our favorite so far- the San Diego Zoo! While the San Diego Zoo was so cool- it's also SOOO large- the Pt. Defiance Zoo is much smaller, easier to do in a few hours. ;)

IntenseMagic likes this.
  11. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

We were JUST at Pt defiance on Tuesday- the Polar Bears were our favorites! They were doing tricks for the keeper & getting treats! It was amazing! :)

Sunberry2 likes this.
  12. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

I'm not a fan of our local zoos...but I loved the Brookfiled Zoo in Chicago!

13. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

We live near Zoo Atlanta, but quite honestly it is just okay.

I second Riverbanks Zoo in Columbia SC. When we lived in Charleston, we went often and loved it!

My daughter and I also went to the Knoxville Zoo (Tennessee) a few years ago when tagged along on one of my husband’s work trips and we both had a lot of fun. I think the red pandas were both of our favorites!

I think it is technically a zoo... so I will also mention that we LOVE the animals and safari at Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World. We love the baby elephant Stella and cannot wait to see the baby tiger cubs.

We are going to Colorado in a few months and have looked at several zoos there. So if you’ve been to a zoo on the east side of CO, I would love to know which and what you thought.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  14. Heidi Nicole

Heidi Nicole Well-Known Member

We love the zoo! We haven't been in years... as the kids get older we go less and less. I don't have a favorite, but we used to frequent St. Louis, MO and Indianapolis, IN regularly when the kids were smaller :)

IntenseMagic likes this.
  15. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I used to have a really hard time going to the zoo... they made me sad to see the animals in their tiny little spaces and all they did was sleep, so I was convinced they were all depressed. Lol. I've since gotten over that because I've see more zoos that have better open spaces and more room to roam. My favorite zoo in about an hour from our house called Binder Park Zoo in Battle Creek Michigan. They have a HUGE safari exhibit that has so much open space that you can't see it all and they have a bunch of giraffes in there. They have a super cool high platform/walkway that you can go up to and fee the giraffe and it's just fascinating! They have really long black tongues. My boys both had a field trip there at the end of 1st grade and they LOVED the giraffes!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  16. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I haaaaaaaaaaaate going to the zoo.

Luckily my mom takes my kids almost every week during the summer so that I don't have to.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  17. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

When my kids were younger we had a family membership to Zoo Atlanta. It's a pretty good zoo and was definitely worth the money. My favorite zoo is the Singapore Zoo - such a beautiful place and we always enjoyed the animal demonstrations/shows. They also have Polar Bears which was so bizarre in the tropical climate.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  18. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I like the zoo... but especially love Aquariums though that is another thread, lol.

Zoo wise... Turtle Back Zoo in NJ and the Bronx Zoo in NYC occasionally. We also go to the Popcorn Park Zoo... its a small zoo through the humane society for animals that have disabilities and rescued animals. We go visit, give a donation, buy popcorn to feed the animals. It's not the best zoo, but I think it's good for my kids to visit.

Last summer, we visited the Plumpton Park Zoo in Maryland. Our cousin is the manager/zookeeper there. We got a behind the scenes tour, and up close and personal with the animals. I loved the whole experience. It's not teh biggest or best zoo, but he really made the visit go beyond our expectations.

IntenseMagic and cfile like this.
  19. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I like the Zoo too.. we go here in Va Beach which is nice as it is a Zoo that is about minutes from us. I do love the Washington DC ZOo, and the San Diego zoo, we only had time to do the safari portion. I loved that. I also grew up in NY (long island) so as a kid we would go on field trips to the Bronx Zoo. My favorite animals (while I love them all) tend to be the Lions (male lion my favorite) and the Giraffes. We went to a petting zoo here too seperrate from the main zoo as I wanted to see alpacas up close. I just love all animals :)

IntenseMagic likes this.
  20. Becca Bonneville

Becca Bonneville Oh my God Becky

We love the zoo and aquariums! Used to go to Brookfield Zoo and Shedd Aquarium when I lived up north. They are both amazing! Now we go to the St. Louis Zoo and we love it too!

IntenseMagic likes this.