YouTube | Pad Patter 5.10

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, May 10, 2017.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

My youngest is a YouTube addict! He loves gaming videos, unboxing videos, and sports videos...and yes, he too is convinced he will be a YouTube sensation one day. Well, if MLB or NFL don't work out :giggle. I don't watch much, mainly just when I'm looking for something specific. I do get sucked in to WatchMojo and their top 10 lists from time to time and Honest Trailers.

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  2. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I will commiserate with you and the video game videos. My kids watch them a ton and my oldest actually has his own channel that he'd make stop motion videos with legos for awhile and also he records himself playing video games. He's in awe of Dan TDM and how much money he makes on his channel. I am THRILLED that they don't watch Stampy anymore too, but he was a huge hit when my kids were much younger. He has to have one of the most distinctive voices ever! lol!

bestcee likes this.
  3. kimingvtx

kimingvtx I'll try anything once!

Besides watching Cheryl's scrapping videos, I also love organizing and cleaning videos! I love Clutterbug because she is just so fun to watch. I also like Do It on a Dime and Clean My Space. You would think that I have an organized and clean house, but I really just watch them -- I don't always follow through!

bestcee likes this.
  4. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I am really trying to wrap my brain around the cleaning videos! What draws you ladies to this phenomenon? Does it motivate you, give you tips, is it funny/make you laugh? I hate the word Cleaning in general - hate doing it, thinking about it. LOL - I've got to know more about this!

I use YT mostly to learn stuff : I tried to learn crochet one year and watched some vids about that, I use it to watch paper scrappers, planners, learn techniques like watercolor/stamping/etc. I use it when I want to learn something new in Photoshop or with my Silhouette. I use it for music videos and some of the comedy skits that I might have missed on late night TV. I love Mommyish's videos on using her styles!

And my son lives on YT ... gaming videos are HUGE for him, and there's a whole world of YTers out there in the comedy realm that he follows - that I will never understand.

RebeccaH likes this.
  5. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

Talking about tall..... we were just talking the other day how there needs to be a store for the Tall man who is also thin. My son Mark is 6'5 athletic so his arms are too long for the 'average' men's LG shirts. But he can't shop at the Big and Tall mens stores because he is not Big. KWIM? And his waist size is small but thighs are large from weight lifting. Anyways he is always complaining about not being able to find clothes that fit him right.

6. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

I love to watch You Tube while I'm scrapping! I watch a lot of Mixed Media scrapbooking. You can get so inspired!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/kalbnat/videos
    Little tid bit about me is before I was a digital scrap booker I did paper like a lot of us did and do. Anyways I was on a team with Nathalie and she totally rocks! We also did a paper layout swap which was super fun! We e-mailed each other a photo of our self then we made layouts and sent them to each other! I totally need to find that layout and show you what she created for me!

bestcee likes this.
  7. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

@Sokee IDK how close a Buckle is to you up there, but I know there are lots in MI. Anyway, they have jeans in 36" length for men, and they carry a wide range of styles. I used to help U of M football players find jeans all the time cuz they had small waists but muscular thighs. And they carry down to a 29" waist size!
    So yeah, I agree with you. Oh, Lands End has tall sizing with slim waists. My uncle is tall and needs a 36" arm length and that's where he shops (he needs dress shirts for work). It's annoying when shops equate Tall with Big. Um, excuse me: those are two different types of measurements!

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    Sokee likes this.
  8. Lor

Lor you've always had the power, my dear

I don't watch much on YouTube, just cute pet videos. :-)

9. Serena

Serena Squishy soul poet who loves Walter Hunt

We don't watch TV in this house, I haven't watched regular tv since I was 12 and I don't miss it, we have DVD's, Netflix and youtube, we're gooood. That being said, I pretty much watch TV since I watch episodes of series on Netflix. LOL!

I keep up with my Korean (bands, shows, movies, language learning) on youtube and netflix. I'm going to go look up Clutterbug in a bit... I also like to have trance/chill step music playlists on while I'm working so that's up for that a lot. I don't actually watch anything scrapping, and I probably should, I just don't really have a lot of patience so unless I'm watching a specific technique and mimicking it as I watch, I'd wander off.

Due to reasons in my past, I hold an open household, so I don't have limitations about what is watched and the kids come to talk to me when they see something that bothers them or if they need to understand stuff. Which means they pretty much have open season on Youtube and we watch a lot of gamers and strange videos. The whole household pretty much shares everything and we know all the same quotes and jokes or funny things that have happened.

Every once in awhile they'll watch something I think is a little off and I'll have them pause it and we'll have a talk about how they're feeling, what they're thinking, why this interests them and then they'll take me over and show me a bit of it. If I still feel I'm not comfortable with it, I'll ask them to watch something else and they're usually really really good about doing so after they've understood WHY I'm not comfortable with them watching it. Luckily, all of them are usually more reserved than I am and watch things that only get bad with language, which, honestly, they're going to hear worse outside my door, I'd rather have them de-sensitized to it and bored of it so they ignore it. (And since I've NEVER had a parent/teacher conference where they've mentioned language or behavior, I know it's good. The worst I had was my son had started drawing Tiny Box Tim on his tests saying "Tiny Box Tim does NOT like these questions and will not answer." twice. When I asked the teachers if they had talked to HIM about it, they hadn't. We told him it wasn't right, he stopped and I haven't had any troubles since. LOL!)

My son wants to be a youtuber too, my middle daughter does as well. They both love the idea of streaming video games and playing, or opening toys and such. They too, love the videos where they open new grab bags or whatever.

We love Superfruit (I saw it on Michele's page!! hee!!!) and various other channels. Youtube is definitely a rabbit hole for me!

michelepixels and bestcee like this.
  10. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Anne, I almost peed my pants when I read that! I can visualize the mass hysteria of the Hoarders and the evangelicalism of the OCD cleaners!
    fwiw, I only occasionally watch videos while scrapping but it's usually ones of the instructor while I'm doing her class. Today I did watch the Senate Intelligence Committee on my iPad. Kinda like youtube but without the breathless enthusiasm..so far.

bestcee likes this.
  11. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Lol, so I need to record myself laughing and giggling for you?

This sounds like the Lego videos my son likes!

:rofl

Me too! And Daily Show. And half the rest you mentioned.

For fun, go listen to his first video. The voice is not the one he uses currently!

Welcome to the world of women's clothes. :banghead

Tree City likes this.
  12. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

@jenn macabre I too solve all my Adobe and usually Apple issues on YouTube. When my husband has a computer issue I can usually find a video that resolves it and then I can explain it to him.

Jenn, I apologize...spell check trumps me every time!

RebeccaH and jenn mccabe like this.
  13. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I didn't even know cleaning videos existed. I'm afraid to watch them...It might make me feel like my house is disgusting.

We watch youtube for school. If there's a history or science subject we are learning about I'll find videos to go along with it.

We mostly watch funny videos. We like Studio C, Kid Snippets... My kids also like the slow mo videos & Dude Perfect.

gonewiththewind and bestcee like this.
  14. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I don't watch any unless someone posts a link to something interesting. My sons watch people playing video games, but not on YouTube. They watch Twitch.TV. Oldest son has a channel on it. Daughter may watch YT, but mostly she watches Netflix.

Hubby was watched all the Bob Ross episodes on Netflix and has now moved onto YouTube. My oldest got him a Chromecast for his birthday. I had never heard of it, but it lets you broadcast anything on your laptop or phone to the TV using WiFi. My hubby started oil painting with Bob Ross in December and has gotten quite good at it. Who knew?

bestcee and jenn mccabe like this.
  15. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

macabre sounds so fancy! lol. i don't mind.
    (but you will have to excuse me if i don't catch them all the time. since it isn't really tagging me. just know i'm not ignoring you intentionally! :beat)

16. navaja77

navaja77 Well-Known Member

My son has outgrown Stampy and moved onto stuff like basketball, movie reviews, top ten stuff, etc. (so does my DH and my brother). My daughter used to watch Stampy and now watches DanTDM.

Me, I watch makeup tutorials. It's entertaining because it's not just makeup as the commentator talks about their life and such :) I don't watch much TV so I guess this is my "soaps" haha

bestcee likes this.
  17. CherryAllie

CherryAllie Active Member

@AnneofAlamo I too have used YouTube in the chemistry classroom. What channels do you like? I've only used crashcourse.

18. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I just do search. I am a homeschool momma, and when my kids go....
    mom?? I just swallowed my gum, is it really gonna stay in my tummy for 7 years?
    I search it on YouTube

MOm??? Joseph, down the street says roadrunners can kill a rattlesnake, and I don't believe him...is he right?
    YOUtube shows it is true.

I also use it for fun songs for math...
    Perimeter is easy to find,
    all you do is add up all the sides.

I never heard of crashcourse, but am gonna! lol

CherryAllie likes this.
  19. CherryAllie

Oh my goodness @gonewithtewind I had no idea that cleaning videos were a thing. I am not sure if I wouldn't be able to look away, or if it would motivate me to clean. Regardless, I will be looking into them.

I watch and follow along with Jessica Smith TV (exercise). And occasionally watch beautybroadcast, a channel I used to watch all the time in like 2009, just to see how she's doing. Oh my that's a long time ago. She's like an old friend, except she doesn't know me at all. But we both have kids now about the same age.

bestcee likes this.
  20. CherryAllie

@AnneofAlamo, crashcourse is great! They cover many subjects. I showed a few episodes in my community college classroom as the correlated with what we were focused on. Their shows break things into bite sized topics without over simplifying.