YouTube | Pad Patter 5.10

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, May 10, 2017.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

My child is determined he wants to be a YouTube star. Sigh. Everything is record this and put it on YouTube.

So, I started wondering. What do you watch on YouTube? Do you find TV shows like @AnneofAlamo watching British Bake off? Do you watch people make pages like @gonewiththewind channel? Or tutorials like @mommyish or our other designers?

Or do you get to listen to people playing video games because that's what your children want to watch! Argh.

Inquiring minds and all that. Or maybe I'm looking for commiserators to the video game watchers. :banghead

Chippi, keepscrappin, bbymks5 and 2 others like this.
  2. MelanieB

MelanieB Well-Known Member

I watch gymnastics videos. :blush That's the only way I could watch the NCAA and JO routines.

I have a cousin who is also exasperated with her son who wants to be a YouTube sensation. This is the new normal for kids, a world we could never have imagined when we were young!

I subscribe to Kelly Purkey & Amy Tangerine & some other paper scrappers so I can learn more about stamping, pocket pages & traveler's notebooks.

If I need to do something specific with PSE, like workarounds for things that are simple in PS, I look for a tutorial on YouTube.

3. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Headphones, Court, headphones. They will save you. Once you know a channel is safe with language, you can feel comfortable allowing him to view without you having to listen. LOL We still have Daniel take out his headphones from time to time, just to hear, and he's amazingly smart about what he watches. He himself gets aggravated if a YouTuber ruins a good gaming video with bad language because he can't watch it and it's not necessary especially if you know young gamers are watching and listening. And if the Munchkin is anything like Daniel, he watches the same videos repeatedly. LOL I'm SOOOOO glad Daniel is out of the Stampy phase.

I love to watch home organization, cleaning videos (YES, I watch people clean their houses), scrapbooking process videos, decorating videos, etc.

keepscrappin, Tree City and bestcee like this.
  4. MelanieB

MelanieB Well-Known Member

I DID NOT KNOW THAT THIS WAS A THING!!! (runs off to find cleaning videos on YouTube ... )

gonewiththewind likes this.
  5. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

I watch a lot of family vlogs. Yes cleaning vids included. I also watch a lot of dance vids, plus size try on vids too.

There's money to be made on YT though, so don't knock your son. I know it's not a normal for us and how we grew up, but there are people making millions and getting movie deals and series deals for their shows. All from a little YT channel.

6. bestcee

Oh, Stampy. On the bright side, he has expanded the things he records. But he's still the same squeaky voice! Sigh.

Wait, what? This is a thing? I may need to find this for the motivation to finish cleaning my pantry. It's almost all emptied on the counters....but then...The Lilypad....

7. bestcee

I'm not really knocking him. At 7 though, I know I'll be the one who had to record, process, edit, and post. He can learn this, but it'll take time. And I don't know if I want to commit to that!
    I can't even decide if I'm committed enough to record myself scrapping...

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  8. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I actually scrapped about this in March. :)
    [​IMG]

I'll write more later. Gotta get my girls to drama club.

berniek, RebeccaH, Chippi and 4 others like this.
  9. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

Mostly exercise videos and in particular, Yoga with Adriene. Sometimes my kids and I will binge watch Conan on location videos which are really funny.

LoveItScrapIt and bestcee like this.
  10. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

*major bang head on wall* My girls have found the video games ones too!!!! Before that, my youngest found the ones of adults opening blind bags of Shopkins and the like...please make the insanity STOP!!!

11. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I listen to movie soundtracks that I'm too cheap to purchase! haha! Otherwise, it's sewing tutorials, and the like.

bestcee and keepscrappin like this.
  12. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I teach with youtube too. Science is pure marvelous! We are in three different levels of science, so the videos are a huge help!
    I also am addicted to laughing so, Studio C,clean humor and I get inspired to clean by watching Hoarders, or other BBC like HOw clean is your house and the one where OCD cleaners go to a Hoarders for 3 days to clean..pure entertainment for me
    I do sometimes watch a how to for scrapping, but usually a tutorial...watching another person scrap without @bestcee there to make me laugh...sounds dreadful. a plug for our dear Cheryl, who when I watch her scrap I can say, "wait, what did you just do???" and she stops everything so patiently and shows me

13. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I don't watch much, but if I do, it's DS related. :) DS loves to watch Bruder videos. (For those uninitiated, they're large-scale machinery toys. Like, a concrete mixer that's maybe 24"Lx10"Wx12"H. His garbage truck has a warning "DO NOT SIT" on it lol.) Anyway, the Bruder Spielwaren videos have little scenes, as if the toys were real cars. DS loves that. I let him watch one per day because they're basically ads. Why the heck would I, who has a DVR simply so I can fast-forward past the "BUY ME!" commercials, let DS watch too many of these lol?! The problem, besides him being young and they're screen time, is that these toys aren't cheap and they're big. Each of these Bruder toy additions makes the house feel that much smaller, and we only have two! Oh, I've never purchased a Bruder for him; it's all been my MIL.
    Anyway, that's what he's obsessed with, so he reads off a toy number and I type it in. I'm sure in a few years, when he's able to handle YouTube on his own, he'll want to make his own videos! TBH, if it brought in some money, then I'd probably be OK with it. :)

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  14. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

Well yeah I mean he's young, but you never know. He may gain a following and become huge!!!! ;)

bestcee and Tree City like this.
  15. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

So until two years ago I almost never watched anything. We got rid of cable TV in 2005 in favor of Netflix. My kids were born in 2001, 2003, and 2006 so they have never missed cable TV. We buy Dr Who, Sherlock, and Supernatural seasons through Google Play and my kids used YouTube a lot before I ever cared to. I wanted to spend my time scrapping, not watching t.v. (And I can't do both. I can only pay attention to one or the other at one time.)

However, I did start following a couple of YouTube channels many years ago like CGP Grey and Crash Course History because they were educational. And then, two years ago, my oldest daughter got me into Supernatural and I started watching their conventions on YouTube (thanks to generous people who attended the conventions, recorded them, and posted the videos to YouTube). While watching those I started checking out some of the suggested videos, and last winter I really got involved and watched more than ever.

My favorite channels right now are vlogbrothers, Superfruit (Pentatonix's Scott and Mitch's channel), Today I Found Out, and SciShow.

Any Supernatural fans reading this? My all time favorite video is Jared Padalecki - Stand, a fan video compilation of Jared's antics during conventions, set perfectly to the song Stand. It always makes me smile and I've watched it many many times. Probably my second most watched video is We Are Young by Pentatonix, or maybe their Hallelujah.

My usual time to watch YouTube is last thing of the day, when I'm tired but not quite ready to go to bed.

Now, most of the conversation in this thread has been about kids watching YouTube, so let me share some of my favorites for the kids. I enjoyed a lot of the Minecraft songs, though I know the songs better than the videos because I know them from my kids singing them, not having watched them myself. And as I mentioned above CGP Grey and Crash Course (not just history anymore) are educational and very engaging. But the video that comes to my mind as the most fun I found when my kids were young is Harry Potter in 99 Seconds.

Gotta go make dinner now! :)

16. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

My mom, who has a bad back, does yoga via YT video. I can't believe she watches something daily, while I, the supposed Gen X-er, doesn't. What is wrong with the world?! On a semi-related note; the Conan in Berlin episode (not YT vid) was freaking hilarious.
    Oh, and I must admit that I've thought about opening up a #tallhaul YT channel, where I unbox my Tall clothing. But ... I don't want people to see that much of me (I don't mean skin, you weirdos: I mean head-to-toe in different outfits). So that's out. I wouldn't mind talking about the clothes, but the whole idea would be "this is what the XYZ brand shirt in their Tall sizing in large, and [cut to me wearing new outift] this is what it looks like on me, a 6' mom, with the Tall leggings." So obvi people would see me as if the camera were a full length mirror. Nope. Too many trolls on the internet. I get wild looks from jerks in real life who can't handle a tall woman; I don't need it from strangers I can't even see.

keepscrappin likes this.
  17. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Yes! Totally a thing! I love it! Check out Clutterbug, she's fun for speed clean videos.

keepscrappin likes this.
  18. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I follow some keto channels and I've got a keto channel that's very simple and basic, just done with my phone and no editing, so my friends can check in with me. I watch a lot of food/cooking related vids.

19. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

and I am really weird, I like to watch the Watch me clean on 2x speed! bhahhaha

gonewiththewind likes this.
  20. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

I am currently addicted to youtube - mostly political satire (Seth Meyers, Stephen Colbert etc).

Also love Bollywood songs and Drunk History - both American and British versions. Honest Trailers for movies and How movies should have ended also make me laugh. And I learnt to crochet through Youtube videos.

My 14yo is keen on making his own gaming videos - he watches those most days (I don't get it either...)

bestcee likes this.