Your Front Door | Pad Patter 10.12

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Tree City, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Tree City

Tree City I'm such a bad eugoogoolizer

I made a LO about my front door and its fall decor (a wreath and a "Trick or Treat" door mat).
    [​IMG]
    @Dalis asked if the photo was my front door and in response I had like 2 paragraphs about my door. That seemed a little excessive lol, so I might as well ask everyone here...What color is your front door? Do you have regulations on what color it can be, or what you can display (or is it not a big deal to you)? Or do you live in a condo/apartment/etc that doesn't have a door visible from the street and you're glad your don't have the hassle lol? And do you decorate your door/front porch/yard for holidays?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    scarletsierra and Dalis like this.
  2. Tree City

I like to do little things for the holidays on our porch. But I've been bad this year...no fall or Halloween decor in or outside the house yet! But I do love my happy, yellow door. :) TBH, my initial reason for picking yellow (besides just loving the color) was to help our house stand out. It's a very cookie-cutter neighborhood so I figured "it's the house with the yellow door" would help people find our home. After we painted it, DD came home from school and said kids on the bus "now call our house the sunshine house." I was cool with that lol! :) And I grow sunflowers in the front landscape beds, so in the summer there are shades of yellow all around the front, which look great against the gray house, and in the fall usually I plant marigolds. (I didn't this year; the weather was so yucky on the days I had free to plant. But my zinnias did well and are still going, so the beds aren't empty.)

Karen, Cherylndesigns and Dalis like this.
  3. Dalis

Dalis I liked it better than Pirates of Penzance

Our door house is BLUE. I need to change the blue, I want a brighter blue. This is the color I have right now, or something similar.
    Screen Shot 2018-10-12 at 8.35.36 AM.png

Tree City likes this.
  4. jk703

jk703 Polly Pollyana

Ours is black.... and it pry could use a coating of paint. To do that, do I have to take it off the hinges or paint it there? I think a nice brighter blue would look pretty. It's an odd door though. It has a doorbell on the actual door... and it's not electrical that I know of. So, someone has to open the screen to get to the doorbell. Yeah, weird, but we haven't changed it, so it stays. We don't get many people we don't know visiting, so it hasn't been an issue.

Tree City likes this.
  5. sushimommy

sushimommy Could you point me to the helipad?

our entry doors are leaf green - our front door is white - but no one ever enters through that door! (the only person who ever goes near that door is the substitute mail carrier lol)

Tree City likes this.
  6. Tree City

I like your blue, but I think brighter would be fun, too! Sounds like Jenn wants brighter blue, too. You two are on the same wavelength! :)

I didn't take it off the hinges. I did all the prep work and then I put down a drop cloth and just started painting it while it was open. (I put a plastic tarp thingy up while it was drying to keep bugs out. It was a nice day (not too hot, slightly overcast, and no breeze). But your door? IDK. I've never seen a door with the doorbell right on it. That's interesting!

Oh, I bet the green is really fun! Our garage-to-house door is dark gray. (I picked up an "oops" exterior paint at Home Depot for $9!) Your post reminded me of our previous home's neighbor; she painted her door black front door white because the sun was SO HOT on the black. Her home faced the afternoon sun so it really did get hot!

sushimommy likes this.
  7. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan Well-Known Member

ours is a white framed doubled glazed door with some stained glass in a floral design

Tree City likes this.
  8. carrie1977

carrie1977 Dreaming of coffee and a book on the beach!

Ours is a cream color...I would love to paint it something else though.

Tree City likes this.
  9. BevG

BevG Reformed trickster!

Ours was a tan color to match the shutters, but I thought that was boring so I went with an olive green.

Right now I have a pumpkin and natural spider webs - that be Halloween!! I will decorate some for Christmas.
    door.jpg

Tree City likes this.
  10. michelepixels

michelepixels Perfectly happy smack in the middle

My front door is red and has been since we moved into this house in 2000. I'm content with it. I don't think our HOA has regulations about door color, but I'm not sure. I have seen a variety of colors throughout the neighborhood. I barely decorate my door. I have a hook on which to hang a wreath or other kind of decoration, but only do so for Halloween and Christmas. Here's a photo from 2016. It could have been taken today except that the reflections in the windows show more autumn color than we have yet this year and there's a ghost hanging from the hook this year. You can click to see if bigger if you'd like.
    2016-11-02-am-walk-051.JPG

cfile and Tree City like this.
  11. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I LOVE your yellow door! At our old house, we had a bright Red door & I loved it. Here our door is stained a dark wood to match our house- I tried to do a fun color but hubby boycotted! ;) We compromised by saying I can decorate however I want on the porch! ;)

I have a Porch chair that I got at a garage sale & painted bright green. I decorate it for all the seasons & usually have various plants/flowers pots on it. This layout I did last year- I should do another with this year's decor! :)

[​IMG]

This was in April when we had our hockey sticks out for Humboldt:
    IMG_20180414_114333_790.jpg

Karen and Tree City like this.
  12. Tree City

Oh, I bet that's very nice! I wish we had glass in our door.

I was afraid that cream or white, although great for the stupid heat from the sun lol, we'd totally end up scratching it/etc.

The green really complements the rest of the colors! Our shutters are black, so I figured I could pick basically any color and be fine lol.

13. Tree City

DH hates painting--like, he won't even say the word rofl--so he never questions my paint choices. He says "If I don't have to do, then I don't care what color you pick." :) I do love that he gives me freedom, but he trusts that I won't go too nuts lol! I love your front porch area, Amie! (And yes: make a LO about this year's decor! They'll be fun to look at through the years, to see changes you make.) I want to get a little hay bale and make a little scene like that. Maybe that'll be my Sunday project.

Our HOA is in the middle of getting set up. (Long story, but it's taken almost 20 years, apparently.) Anyway, I've actually thought about running for the board; I want to stop the HOA from taking their new-found power and making up too many restrictive rules. (Some woman has mentioned wanting to get a new sign for the front of our neighborhood. We HAVE a new sign...so she wants to replace the replacement. :duh She wants it BIGGER and with MORE lights. What are we, the Hollywood sign?! Why not save the money for, say, snowplowing because the city doesn't plow our neighborhood?)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    amien1 likes this.
  14. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns It's a great day to have a great day!

Ours is kind of hard to explain, but it's pretty "typical Florida". We have a little porch with an outside door, then the inside door. I keep a seasonal wreath on the inside door. I still have my summer wreath on the door, but I'm getting the Halloween stuff out this weekend. Here are pictures of entrances.

. front door.jpg front door2.jpg front door3.jpg

Karen, Tree City and amien1 like this.
  15. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

@Tree City My door looks like Michele's except I have a Flag motif wreath on the door.

michelepixels and Tree City like this.
  16. michelepixels

michelepixels Perfectly happy smack in the middle

I had no understanding of HOAs when we moved here. I will avoid them in the future. I don't like being policed about the length of our grass and the state of our mailbox and such. I agree with you. Snowplowing would be much more useful than a fancier sign. :rolleyes:

cfile and Tree City like this.
  17. KayTeaPea

KayTeaPea I carried a watermelon

We had a solid door with a storm door when we bought this house (in 2007), but it leaked which damaged the wood flooring during the tornadoes of April 27, 2011. (The bad Alabama tornadoes) So, we replaced the door, sidelights and transom a few years ago. I miss the storm door sometimes but didn't want to hide our beautiful new door!
    First door- househunting trip--huntsville 2-9-07 003.jpg
    New Door (it isn't really new- we changed it in like 2014)
    2014-08-21 07.11.07.jpg

18. Lynnette

Lynnette In my life, I've loved them all

I love your yellow door @Tree City ! When we bought the house our door was red (similar to Michelle's) but I painted it blue a few years ago. It looks so much better with our color brick! Thankfully we don't have any restrictions here, no HOA. I usually have a seasonal wreath but really only decorate for Halloween and Christmas. Flower pots in the summer!
    [​IMG]

19. Tree City

See, that whole "two doors with a porch in between" concept makes so much sense! I want that here! Anywhere there is heat/humidity and/or bugs...why not have TWO doors to stop those things from getting inside? Plus, it's cute. :)

Do you keep your wreath up all the time, or do you switch it out? My mom keeps the same wreath all year except for December. I don't keep a wreath up all the time...which usually means I leave a wreath up waaay after the holiday is over lol! That's why I have a "fall" wreath and a "winter" wreath. If I had a Halloween wreath, it'd still be up at Thanksgiving. :backing

That's my worry about this place: how strict will they be? Some neighborhoods around here aren't bad at all, but there are some people in this community who seem to think that their opinion is what the whole community should do. And frankly, their opinions on some stuff are just odd.

20. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic my house is protected by killer dust bunnies

My front door is a cream color. It's a wooden door with glass panes and in desperate need of a paint job. I'm just not sure what color to paint it. Our house is a dark reddish color with brown trim, so I'm kind of limited with color options.