Working Backwards

Discussion in 'Project Life/365/52' started by RebeccaH, Apr 11, 2016.

1. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

About a month ago, I got a new cell phone, which I thought would be fun, but otherwise a non-event. I was wrong. I have just not loved it from day 1, but have slowly been finding ways to force it to do what I want it to do. One of the things it's NOT been doing for me is auto uploading my photos to my cloud, even though I have the settings set for it to do just that. So for a while my photos have been held hostage by my phone, only getting uploaded periodically, and at random. ??? Anyway, last night I discovered a trick that forces it to upload (that I shouldn't HAVE to do, because it should just work, but...)

Now I have a backlog of pictures that I haven't scrapped (not to mention, I wasn't exactly caught up to begin with). And I am super LOVING the more recent pictures, and not so much loving some of the older ones. So, I made the decision that I am just going to work backwards. At least getting 'caught up' will be more fun if I'm scrapping the pictures I want to scrap instead of doing it because I feel like I have to!

And the best part is, I have nothing really set on my calendar today, so I should have a good chunk of the day to scrap!! I can't even remember the last time I could say that! Anyway, I know a lot of you *cough* @Mrivas *cough* @tkradtke are super great at keeping up and ticking things off week by week. Please tell me, though, there are other misfits like me who sometimes work backwards?!!!!

Karen, enjoyyourpix and lorryfach like this.
  2. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

I was playing catch up yesterday (whole family with the flu and then my hard drive crashed, needing replacing, and then restoring = no scrapping for a while!). I did not work backwards, but in retrospect, it probably would have been easier to get the recent ones done while they're fresh in my memory.

3. RebeccaH

That was kind of my thought, too, Lorry. My only fear is that I just never get around to those earlier weeks that I haven't done yet. But, at least I will have SOMETHING done. Right?

lorryfach likes this.
  4. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

I am currently working backwards through the last quarter of 2015, and that's the only quarter I will do "weekly". Doing my PL this year, I started with week 10 and went backwards till I was caught up. My PL is 6x8s using the PL app on my phone.
    If I decide to do anything further back than October, it would be monthly. All I can do is flip through the pictures and try to remember, and that certainly takes a lot of detail out.

If my phone didn't do the auto upload, I would be insanely irritated. I found my husband's photos were not uploading, and so I'd copy all his photos manually. It turns out, his are uploading to a different folder than I originally thought! (I ended up with months and months of doubles I had to find and delete... which wasn't easy because the names weren't the same.)

5. lorryfach

Better to have missed weeks than to stall getting started because you don't want to deal with whatever week comes "next" in order.

RebeccaH likes this.
  6. Mrivas

Mrivas I know how to spit like a man

With iphone photos (which I don't usually take many of but want to) I have to go through them the same day or next day and choose the ones I want on my weekly pages and put them in the weekly folder before I forget I took them. I don't know why they don't automatically upload on Dropbox unless I open the Dropbox app.

I try to stay current because I get easily overwhelmed so I try to work right away on my pages for the week. I had to work backwards earlier this year (first six weeks) because there was a period when my morning sickness was so bad that I wasn't taking many photos (catching up was easy because of this). Then I went back and finished the last half of December which was when I had stopped. When I know that I can't make my pages soon then I take notes on my planner.

7. RebeccaH

So true, @lorryfach ! I feel like I've been avoiding because I'm dreading doing those few weeks in Feb... I didn't take many pics, and there's just not much there. It feels like it would be too much work. LOL

8. lorryfach

I thought about filling up my sick weeks with receipts and weather info and stuff like that, but decided to just combine them into one page and admit nothing happened for a while.

RebeccaH and klee73010 like this.
  9. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

I work backwards all the time because I do the most recent photos I like, then go back and do some of the ones which may not be so great...

RebeccaH likes this.
  10. rchansen

rchansen in the sweet tooth recovery program

I actually started my PL album this weekend!! I didn't work backwards though...I do my pages monthly and sometimes by event so I'm not sure I could work backwards. I'm just excited I got such a good start on it and plan on working on it during the evenings. Too bad I can't share pages here...Stuff I use is from all over the place and I don't really even keep track on my PL pages.

RebeccaH and klee73010 like this.
  11. klee73010

See below... I share them in threads with no links, but not in the gallery. And only some of them when conversation calls for it ;)

hahaha. I did this. in 2012... I started PL and made weeks one and two, no problem. then this happened...
    see weeks 3-6 - and then I gave up :cry

[​IMG][​IMG]

RebeccaH, enjoyyourpix and rchansen like this.
  12. scrappyjedi

scrappyjedi Patience you must have, my young padawan

I sometimes work backwards, but mostly I work all over the place!!

I've never really stressed about keeping up with scrapping Project Life as long as I'm taking photos/making a few notes each week. As long as those things are done, I can treat them like regular layouts and just scrap them when I feel like it. I'm actually working on parts of 2014 (paper), 2015 (digital), and 2016 (digital) concurrently!

13. rchansen

rchansen in the sweet tooth recovery program

So does that mean I can post my pages in the monthly threads just not in the gallery?

14. klee73010

@rchansen someone official would have to answer that question. In my opinion, the threads are there to inspire people to keep going, so I think on occasion, it would be okay, especially if you had an idea or something specific for one week that many people could benefit from. If all your pages are from another store/designer and nothing TLP related, I can see them not wanting that repeated "promotion" of other products. But if you use TLP stuff too, I don't see the issue... again though, I'm not official. :giggle

rchansen likes this.
  15. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

@RebeccaH Have you looked at my gallery lately?!? :-) I'm totally having a "misfit" year. For nearly three years I have kept up with PL religiously, never falling too far behind, but this year??? I'm a wreck! I have yet to finish December 2015 and I'm about four weeks behind with this year. Part of it, I think, is because I'm so used to working current, that I freak out being behind. A few weeks ago, I made good progress with my 2015 book due to a Shutterfly coupon I wanted to use, but once I missed that deadline, I put it on the back burner again. My issue with this year is that I don't like my week 10 layout, it just isn't coming together. So I'm stuck. I can't make myself move on without getting it finished up... it's an illness! I have my week 11 photos up and edited in photoshop, but I can't work with them because week 10 is still haunting me! I need some kind of intervention :cry

I thought I would do better this year with taking notes in my journal, but my issue is, the weeks I'm not motivated to do PL I'm also not motivated to take photos or write in my journal.

Sorry for all of the gloom, it's just that I'm really struggling this year. Giving up or even taking a break isn't really an option for me as I truly love PL and my stack of books on my coffee table are some of my most favorite things. I think I would be more upset if I officially quit. I just need to step back, come up with a plan and power through.

(Also, this post may be a little more dramatic than it should be due to having been down with the flu for several days... this morning was my first time leaving the house since Friday)

klee73010 likes this.
  16. scrappyjedi

17. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Pink is fun! :-)

Thanks for the hugs and the words of encouragement, Melissa! Since I'm feeling better, but not 100% yet, I granted myself a scrapping day. I powered through week 10!!! It's done!! Crazy as it sounds, part of my problem was the week card. Once I picked a new one, things started coming together.

RebeccaH likes this.
  18. scrappyjedi

:banana:clap:clappy:cheer:byay:bunny:goldstars:yourock

Yay!! I'm so glad you're feeling better, and WAY TO GO on getting past the scrapping block!!!! :) I look forward to seeing your page in the gallery!

19. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Since there are no 'rules' or scrap police, no one can be a misfit! How about 'non linear' which sounds quite impressive! :)

scrapsandsass, RebeccaH and klee73010 like this.
  20. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

I couldn't go in order if I tried. :giggle I'm all over the place. Sometimes I'll do a current and then work backward... but mostly I'm always working in the past because other than one month in 2013 and a few weeks in 2014, I've always been behind. :p I still have half of 2013 to do. hahaha.

But I love that you ladies are always inspiration to keep going. :heartslub

scrappyjedi likes this.