Word for 2011?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by mlpieters, Dec 20, 2010.

1. mlpieters

mlpieters the princess of PINK

Is anyone continuing on the "word for the year"?

I can tell you that my word and art work turned out to be pivotal in my life.

Interestingly, I already have my word for 2011. I think this will be my fifth year in doing this and it's never failed to be very important.

Just wondering if I was the only one.

2. carolee

carolee Humming along in the Neil mobile

I haven't thought about mine yet. I am curious though - what was your word this past year? And what are you doing for next year? Inquiring minds want to know. :D

3. leightheo

leightheo New Member

Me too! I wanna know what you've chosen each year and what's up for next year!?!? I've never chosen a word before! :)

4. estir_bune

estir_bune Guest

the word I had for 2010 was enjoy... not sure what I will do for 2011 yet...

5. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

I had an idea for one last year but never got around to doing anything with it. i've heard of the one word thing for the past few years, but honestly i don't even know what the process is to put it to use - like do you just make a layout with it or is there more to it than that?

anyway, the word i was gonna use, and so might still do if i can figure out WHAT to do with it, is INTENTIONAL.

6. Dana

Dana Dana

i am - i chose positivity two years ago - and focus last year - which i am going to use again this year b/c i don't think i embraced my word at.all last year - in fact i think i was completely unfocused in everything i did and what my priorities were, etc ... so - focus it is again :)

7. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

If anyone needs a good explanation of One Little Word, here's an Ali Edwards post from a few years ago which should help.

2010 was a really hard year for me in so many ways so for 2011 I am considering using "peace" as my word. Not for sure yet, still thinking on it. Whatever i pick, i am going to scrap it and hang it up to keep myself on track throughout the year.

8. melrio

melrio I will hunt you!

With all the drama this year...I'm choosing 'Tranquility' for my One-Word for 2011. Last year was 'Hope' and boy, did things change around here....I had no idea how much I would use that One-Word in one year. So, with Tranquility, I want stress-free days and happiness to return to our family.

9. emmasmom

emmasmom emmasmom

I am leaning towards peace as well Laura....I am ready for 2010 to be over, it's been a tough year. Ali is doing a class on this somewhere..it's a year long thing I believe...I love the concept of it, this is my first year doing it.

10. crystalbella77

crystalbella77 Capture life and embrace it

I have been thinking about this one. I chose Love last year and I really feel like it was a big focus for me. I have had struggles and learning to just love some people in my life and I really really tried to focus on it and love them no matter how hard it is at times.

I am not sure about next year...something that will help me prioritize better...maybe that should be my word. I am such a time waster and I want to get on track..not sure..gonna think!

11. mlpieters

mlpieters the princess of PINK

okay, this is a long story so just cruise on by if you don't want to read - it won't hurt my feelings.

i started doing the word for the year 3 or 4 years ago. i don't talk much about it but for the pieces to make sense it would help if you knew that i was a born again christian.

for me, the word of the year is something i seek God for - not something that i'd like to happen. once i get the work i often get a scripture reference to use as well.

for those of you who've asked - i create a layout based on those things - what i'm feeling creatively at that moment. which, is another interesting thing but more on that later.

here is my layout for 2009

[​IMG]

wow. what a year that was. so much change. our daughter turned 18 and our lives turned upside down. my husband got notice that he may be forced into retirement. i can't even remember how many changes we went through but it was alot.

here is my layout for 2010

[​IMG]

here is an excerpt from my blog.

let me refresh my january 2010 experience as i know i posted about it originally. when i was praying i new the word for me was "rest". instantly i was flooded with relief as the past two years had been a tad more difficult than i would have chosen. 2009 was full of changes and surprises. at the same moment of relief i knew i had the definition of "rest" wrong. the Lord was telling me it was a rest that i had to fight for. immediately i knew He was talking about the rest mentioned in hebrews. i hunted until i found it.

hebrews 4:11 Let us therefore labor to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

i knew that i knew, that i know now, God was saying - you will have to believe Me, My promises and what I tell you for 2010.

let's just pause for a little humor. when the Lord speaks to me i often get this dreamy "oh, that's so sweet" thing going on. rest. God's promising rest if i just believe Him. check. got it.

tears through laughter -- or Lamentations - praising God through the tears and the pain --

i had waited to pray for my 2010 word until i returned from Hawaii. when i sat down to create my artwork i truly wanted to capture the colors of the ocean that literally took my breath away and amazed me. i did my best and honestly i am still very happy with how it all came out.

fast forward to my current life. Jesus is constantly telling me - sometimes daily -- to get out of my boat of fear and walk on the water. that He will be there to meet me but i must ignore what everything looks like - the storms that are raging - and choose to get out of the boat and be with Him.

last weekend the preacher read Hebrews 4:11. we have to believe. instantly i pulled out my ipad (yes, i had it at church) and stared at the artwork. He had gone before me.

do you see? the sea? the ocean? that it's not a calm, flat water that is still? but it is rolling and has places of churning of the darkness?

it is my sea. and I must again get out of my boat of fear and walk with my God. Who went before me.

what i am referring to is on 19 September i came home to find my husband had packed his bags and moved out. this last Sunday was officially 3 months of our separation.

it has been this most difficult thing i have ever done -- or am doing. But God keeps telling me to believe Him.

I already have 2011's word. Restore.

I'll post it when I'm done with the artwork.

I know this story has been long but I just wanted all that have asked to know that this one exercise at the beginning of every year has lead me and held me to the course of my life. I hope you can find your meaning in your word journey as well.

12. crystalbella77

crystalbella77 Capture life and embrace it

Lauren. Thank you so much for sharing and for inspiring and being the amazing person that you are. I needed that post. Thank you!

13. RebeccaH

Lauren you are an amazing person. Thank you so much for sharing that.

14. RebeccaH

and laura, thank you for posting the link.

15. carolee

carolee Humming along in the Neil mobile

Wow Lauren. How completely inspirational! Thank you so so much for sharing. It brings this whole exercise into a new perspective for me.

16. MandaKay

MandaKay Loyal as they come.

Thanks for sharing Lauren - I am sure it is so amazing to look back on your words and see how they have impacted you and how God placed them in your life for that year!

My 2010 word was MOVE, and move I did. I completed 3 5K runs, which is HUGE for me as I HATE running! :) I have done Jillian 30 Day Shred about 4 sessions over now too. So I moved. I haven't even thought of a word for 2011, but this was a GREAT reminder for me Lauren!

17. Lor

Lor you've always had the power, my dear

I haven't gone with the word of the year in the past, but you all have inspired me. Thus, my word for 2011 is "clairvoyant"... meaning perceiving things beyond the natural range of the senses; foreseeing the future... My plan is to remind myself each morning of my word for 2011 and to aim for the best year ever! :-)

18. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

Lauren, your story really touched me, brought tears to my eyes actually. I hope that we can all hold you up as you believe God for restoration this year. I also wanted to share a passage with you that has sustained me through many difficult times.
    Jeremiah 29:11
    For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Thank you for prompting us all to look more deeply at our OLW for 2011.

19. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

Yes, I have chosen my OLW for 2011: health. I even wrote a blog entry abt it: http://wordygurl37.blogspot.com/2010/12/eight.html

'Come, and let us return to the LORD;
    for He has torn, but He will heal us,
    He has stricken, but He will bind us up.'
    Hosea 6:1

*hugs* Lauren. Your story and pages really moved me.

20. Brynn Marie

Brynn Marie Brynn Marie

My '08 word was Strength (deployment year), '09 was Cherish (pregnant) & '10 was Focus (health & going back to school).

For '11 I have picked Capture. For one I am determined to complete P365 this year! We are facing another deployment this year, and although it’s not nearly as long as the past ones I want Geoff to be able to see how we are doing and to remember all the little stuff. Along the same vein one of my goals this coming year is to really focus on journaling and getting all the little stories down in print.