Wishlist question

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by littlekiwi, Dec 2, 2019.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I’m starting of by saying two things a) I shop at a few digi stores but I’d say my main one is here & b) I’m a bargain hunter thanks to the crummy exchange rate so always looking for the best deal. I will also admit I’m useless at cleaning out my wish lists especially after big events or buy x number of products from a designer where you get links sent to you rather than through the store where it’s easier to tell if you’ve already got a product.

My question is - how do you keep on top of items in your wishlist that are sold at two different stores or are sold both individually and as a bundle? I saw a kit elsewhere and thought hang on, I might have that....turns out I don’t but it could have been close with the item being on two different wish lists

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  2. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

1. Is this a designer that sells at two stores? or 2. Is this something where a designer has collab'd with another designer at a different store?
    I'd handle those situations a bit differently.

littlekiwi likes this.
  3. LoveItScrapIt

As for products sold both as a bundle and individually....
    I usually wishlist the whole bundle. I use my wishlist as mostly a PLACEHOLDER of sorts. When it's time to buy I will go to the bundle and see if all the packs are things that I normally use when scrapping. Based on that then I may go search for the individual packs in the shop and buy the ones I need.

littlekiwi likes this.
  4. littlekiwi

For this scenario I’m thinking of it’s number 2 - so say a Little Butterfly Wings collab with Studio Basic kind of deal.

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  5. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I don't have a lot of tips for this, because I started early with buying mostly at one store. I know some people keep Excel spreadsheets with kits they own for easy use.

6. LoveItScrapIt

I buy mostly from here and SSD. That's it. So there are often collabs between the two. For that I tend to wishlist at the store with the designer I make more purchases with. So a collab with LBW and Studio Basic, I'd wishlist at SSD because I have more Studio Basic products and would probably put it in her folder on my hard drive too.

littlekiwi likes this.
  7. littlekiwi

Thanks for your thoughts @LoveItScrapIt - might need to think on this a bit more. Maybe working out my organising system will indicate how I should manage my wish lists at the two main stores that I buy from. I’m just worried that at some point I’m going to get caught out buying a duplicate item from 2 stores.

LoveItScrapIt and bestcee like this.
  8. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

I'm assuming you keep your kits sorted by store then? Maybe you could put an empty subfolder (or with just a copy of the preview in it) in the second store's folder named the same way but adding "in XYZ folder" to the end?

bestcee likes this.
  9. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I use keywords/tags to solve this problem. No matter where I save the kit, with the tagging I can use multiple designers and multiple stores.

In your case, if you are just using your File Explorer and no specific organizing software like Bridge or ACDSee, my solution would be this:

Choose one of the designers to save the entire bundle or collection in their folder.

Instead of saving the entire bundle or collection to the other designer's folder, I would copy the preview and save it in their folder instead.

I would do the same thing with the stores - save a preview of the bundle or collection into a folder marked SSD or TLP. :)

I think that would solve your problem?

10. littlekiwi

Currently my organising system is a folder called “To Sort” where I dump all my unzipped folders into

11. littlekiwi

I do have Acdsee but haven’t had the patience and mental fortitude shall I say to go any further than installing the program yet. It’s been on my to do list for ages to get started but it seems like something else is always slightly higher on the priority list

bestcee likes this.
  12. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

LOL Then I don't have any help for you. I'd at least unzip and then place the unzipped products into a folder marked "to scrap." I would then save the previews of each kit or collection into one folder. That way you can at least look ONE place to see if you have purchased a kit.

13. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I'm one of those people, and the spreadsheet has saved me more than a few times!

It's great that the TLP store will warn you if you've purchased something, so sometimes I'll search by kit name and I'll click the bundle and the kit to check if I've purchased one. And if I've purchased an element pack but not the paper pack (or vice versa), then my ss lets me know that, too. I can buy the other pack at a later date.

And this may be heretical to say here, but I no longer buy more product than I can download and unzip the same day as well as update my Excel ss. (I do give myself a couple days during big sales, like this weekend, to unzip; however, I always download right after purchasing. For example, I have a few things from yesterday still left to unzip; I'm on TLP as a break from unzipping lol.) That helps me from getting bogged down/overwhelmed.

bestcee and HavaDrPepper like this.
  14. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Good question but i'm no help either really - if it's a collab here, i stash it in my 'collabs' folder and if say it comes up for SOSN (and sometimes it's in the store twice, once under each designers name) and i'm not sure if i have it, i look in the collab folder under both designers names - if you have products sorted by store, at the store level (hierarchy of your folders), i'd also have a 'collabs' folder i guess so you can find it without looking thru both stores mega folders - hope that makes sense!

15. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I learned my lesson about not unzipping right away. I bought some stuff back in May on insd weekend and had not unzipped it. Fast forward to a couple months ago when I was looking for a certain kit that I was sure I had bought but couldn't find... Turns out I had never unzipped it and I had a computer that died a horrible death in late May. Between my Backblaze backup and my EHD backup I was finally able to find it and several other kits (after looking at purchase history) but found that one zip file was corrupted. Thankfully, TLP is awesome about resetting downloads.

Now I unzip immediately after downloading and get the zip file on a separate EHD where all my zipped files reside.

As for @littlekiwi's question, I don't keep much on my wish list and I really only shop here when I do purchase. So I'm not much help on that!

Tree City and bestcee like this.
  16. bestcee

I do this with collabs.
    I put the kit in the designer folder that I would look for it in. Then, I copy the folder and the kit preview and drop it in the other designers folder. I don't add an indicator of any kind, but I do then check the other designer if I find an empty like that.

17. bestcee

Something I do with byoc: I add at the end of the folder kit ep pp wa jc ex
    Ep: elements
    Pp: papers
    Wa: word art
    Jc: journal cards
    Ex: extras (aka anything else)
    That way if I'm looking at something byoc, I can check and see if I picked part of it up.

When I shop from my wishlist, I have my wishlist open in one internet window and the store in another. Then, as I'm downloading, I will delete the kit off my wishlist.

18. bestcee

I totally feel this!!
    I finally asked myself if I really wanted to use it and why, compared to if I just like the idea of it. The why made me move acdsee to a higher priority. I realized that while organizing wasn't always fun, it was something I wanted. So I'm slowly working on it. Especially as if late.

19. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

My top organization is TLP and Non-TLP (yes, really). Then under TLP, is a folder for each designer. Under that is a folder for each kit. I throw everything in there except the alphas. I like them separate. So their folder names are Alpha - name of kit - description (where description is something like brown tags, wire, green glitter, yellow wood). I rarely use Alphas so I don't want them cluttering up my kit folder. On the other hand, I want all my alpha sorted together so I can look at the list of alpha folders and see my choices (at least for that designer).

20. littlekiwi

that’s what I’d do in an ideal world and would solve most of my wishlist issues I think

bestcee likes this.