Wisdom teeth removal?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Peppermint, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Peppermint

Peppermint One Little Bird

Anyone have any (non-scary) experience to share on having their wisdom teeth removed as an adult? If you have a horror story ... I can probably do without that.

Mainly I'm wondering what the recovery time/process looks like? I'm self employed, work here at home, so I can work in just about any condition ... gauze hanging out of my mouth, hopped up on painkillers, rinsing my mouth out every couple hours.... I'm not saying it would be my BEST work, but I have a lot of deadlines coming up and I'm wondering whether I should really schedule around those, or whether I'll be in suitable condition to still sit at my desk and power through?

ETA: Oh, it's probably relevant that it's all four wisdom teeth and they're impacted. And also I was supposed to have them removed 16 years ago, so the situation hasn't improved in that time or anything. Haha.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  2. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

dentist are a new breed today!! Talk to them. I have this dentist that takes it as a personal insult if you feel pain during or after his procedures. He goes to a Painless Tooth camp every summer?? seriously he is that into no pain.
    The techniques are better, the tools are better and you find a dentist you can talk to and go with the one that makes you go, I can do this!

3. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

I had one of mine removed about 8 years ago. Long story - I have the other 3, but there are various reasons why they don't want to remove them if they don't have to. Anyway, my only issue I had was the antibiotics gave me seriously wicked heartburn, like I was willing to risk an infection if I didn't have to take them. I recall the pain meds making me sleep most of the first day after I got home, and then after that it wasn't a big deal. I'm not sure I even took the meds after that first day. I'm a bit of a weinie though, and it took me along time before I would attempt any kind of remotely hard food.

4. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

I had all mine out at once (also impacted) when I was in my late 20s. I didn't even fill my painkiller Rx, and I'm not one to tough it out. It just wasn't bad! I had to change out some icky gauze a few times the first day or two, but after that it was close to life as normal, just with more soup and milkshakes instead of other foods. My mom recommended making a huge batch of potato soup and freezing individual portions so I could just heat it up in the microwave. That was lovely. Grate some cheddar on top and you can easily pretend it's fresh from the stove. ;)

5. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

Oh, and yeah I should have had mine out when I was in high school. Mine didn't get better either. Funny how that works.

6. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

I had 3 removed in one go, 1 of them was at a nasty angle, so a fairly big "creator" left behind. Don't schedule work the first day, you will want to sleep.....
    After that soft food and careful to keep the mouth clean, but all in all much easier and not as painful as I thought it would be.
    Good luck , and like Anne says talk to your dentist.

7. staciahall

staciahall Quidditch, anyone?

Just saw an oral surgeon with my son about this today. He recommended going home right after the surgery and eating while your mouth is still numb, taking a pain pill. Take the pain pills as needed about 15 min before you think it's going to hurt. Eating whatever you feel like you can eat because it's tough to open your mouth much with the swelling (so no real restrictions at all about what you choose to eat). Ice to help with the swelling. Be good to go on day 3 for the most part.

I had mine out in my 20's too. I remember taking pain pills, eating instant mashed potatoes, yogurt and pudding. Mine was a relief to have out because the pain of them pushing against my other teeth was horrendous. Healed beautifully.

I'll have an update on current stuff on Monday as my son's are being removed at 10:30.

8. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

I had all 4 of mine out about 7 years ago. It was done under a sedation, rather than a general anaesthesia - I slept all the way through, didn't feel a thing - I really hate going to the dentist btw. The after affects were ok except I had a nauseous reaction to the painkillers they put me on. I didn't really need them anyway so once I stopped taking them, it all recovered very quickly. Much better not having the impacted teeth, have not regretted it all.

9. Peppermint

Oh, my dentist and I did talk about it. But she said I should schedule it on a Friday, rest through the weekend then maybe work a half day on Monday. But I imagine that's typical advice for someone who works outside the house and has weekends off. So I wasn't sure if she meant I was going to want to take 4 days and not do much? Or whether it was really just more like a day, a day and a half of discomfort. But she doesn't do the surgery, it's with a separate oral surgeon but his office says basically the same thing and I have to schedule it when I go in on Friday.

I did ask my dentist "But let's say that you had it done on a MONDAY, would you have been back to work on Wednesday then?" and all she said was "Oh no, don't do it on a MONDAY. Take the weekend to rest." So at that point I figured it was probably best to just ask people that I wouldn't have to explain my whole work situation to. LOL

10. Peppermint

I was just thinking about the whole soft food thing. Potato soups sounds amazing. I don't eat a lot of soups really, but I'm a bit of a sucker for a loaded potato soup and also tomato soup with a grilled cheese sandwich. (I don't really care for tomato soup on it's own, but add a fried cheese sandwich and I'm on board!)

11. Peppermint

That's sort of the situation I'm in at this point. The damage is already done as far as my wisdom teeth crowding my other teeth a bit, after 16 years of letting them stay in there. But they do try to erupt a few times a year even though there's no room, and then my jaw gets really tender and swollen back by my ears and it feels like something is .. well .. trying to claw it's way out of my gums, I guess. It makes me feel really bad for babies, I'll tell you that much. Teething is the worst.

12. AmaG

AmaG Born in the wrong decade

Just do all you can to avoid dry sockets. As long as you don't get those, you'll be fine.

13. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

I remember having mine out over a summer break in college and being back at work the next day. Just felt funny from the numbness the 1st day and sore, of course. But not a big deal. They were impacted but not infected.

My 15 year old is having his out this Spring. Apparently, they do it routinely now once they all come in. Weird.

14. lauracw

lauracw Gets a funky high on yellow sun

I had mine out right after I got married, so I was like 22ish. I had anesthesia and I don't remember anything about the surgery, but I do recall I slept the whole day after. I'm super weak when it comes to pain meds though, Benedryl knocks me out forever, lol! I don't know how long I had off work though. I remember my husband was super jealous. He had his out when we first started dating and he swelled up like a chipmunk and was in pain for days.

15. nockosh

nockosh googy eggs for everyone!!!

no horror story with mine. I was just a little tired the next day from being knocked out. Pain level was minimal and 2 days later I was away on a scrapbooking retreat.

16. Peppermint

I'm the same way with Benadryl! I can kiss the entire day goodbye if I take one.

Oooh, thanks Kaye! I've only been under general anesthesia once for a small ear surgery, and I remember I felt very lethargic the next day.

17. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

My dentist recommended taking 1000 MG of vitamin c everyday for three days before I had mine done, and continue if I could swallow it (obeying the rules for no dry sockets) for two days after. I had them out in a Wednesday morning and went back to work Friday. I was in my mid twenties. There's something about vitamin c that helps with oral healing. Idk what, but I recommend it to everyone! Especially since they had to dig one of mine out.

18. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I had mine out at about 25 years old and it was really a great recovery. I think I only took one pain pill total. The only annoying thing was the stitches feeling weird in my mouth and I kept feeling like food was going to get caught in there. I did mine on a Friday and was completely ready for work on Monday. I hope yours goes as smoothly! :)

Funny story about my experience. They took me back, and gave me laughing gas and then just when I started to feel woozy I mentioned that I hadn't taken my contacts out. They wanted them out and I had to walk up the hallway to the bathroom and take contacts out of my eyes while totally feeling the effects of the laughing gas. Whee! :) I'm sure I looked totally drunk stumbling my way there and back with a nurse nervously holding my arm the whole time.

19. Peppermint

I read that on a random "oral surgery preparedness" webpage, too! I was wondering why they had vitamin C on there, but that's good to know. I will definitely try it - it wouldn't kill me to take more vitamins anyway. LOL

20. Peppermint

I actually went to have these teeth removed back in 2000, and one of the questions they asked me prior to the procedure was 'Is there a possibility you could be pregnant" and I hesitated - because there really was .. but it was just a hunch really. As soon as I hesitated, though, they practically pulled me out of the chair. Which turned out to be a good thing, because I was 10 days pregnant with Nicholas.

And so 14 years later I'm finally going back. NO babies on board this time, so we're clear!