Winner Announced**CLOSED** GTKY - OTHER Hobbies! | DSD 2019

Discussion in 'DSD 2019 Party Pad' started by amandac, Oct 3, 2019.

1. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

My other hobbies include reading (done on the daily), painting, drawing, zentangling/doodling, and cross stitching.

amandac and busywoman139 like this.
  2. lorieh

lorieh Well-Known Member

My other hobbies are reading and sewing. I love to read. When we travel, I spend more time choosing books to take along than clothes:)

michele hillam, bonnenuit and amandac like this.
  3. Christina W

Christina W Well-Known Member

I'm a huge reader too -- I used to buy lots of real+kindle books, but lately I have been economizing by checking things out the the library. My current read is the Clockmaker's Daughter by Kate Morton: highly recommended!

I also knit, sew, and embroider.
    And when the weather is nice, I love to garden!

[​IMG]

amandac likes this.
  4. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Over the years I've had many hobbies. Embroidery, counted cross stitch, latch hook, genealogy, paper scrapping, digital scrapping, reading and the list goes on.

These days I spend the most time coloring on my iPad. During the last year I needed something that I could do when I was flat on my back that wouldn't put me to sleep. I found a coloring app and I'm hooked. I still love scrapping (both paper and digital) but I have to be in the right mood to do it. During the cold winter days, I like to do jigsaw puzzles. I've got a stack ready to go and now have a great place to work on them. I still love reading but like scrapping I have to be in the right mood.

I love photography as well and hope to get back into actually going somewhere to work on my skills with the camera.

5. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I read. I also run a football pool, lol! That's in the fall. I may start doing it for Basketball, gotta figure out how. Then... I guess would be playing games on my phone - those change periodically. Currently, I'm addicted to Solitaire.

cinna, amandac and busywoman139 like this.
  6. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

Reading for sure- I just wished I had more time! I like to read at night before bed & usually end up staying up WAY too late! ;) I also really enjoy baking/decorating cupcakes! The dentist I work for pays me to make bday cupcakes for all my coworkers so that's fun- especially since I am a hygienist & we're a dental office... SO not good for your teeth! ;)

amandac, busywoman139 and Lisa B like this.
  7. LadyPatsFan

LadyPatsFan New Member

I've been digital scrapbooking for 13 years now (since Fall 2006, wow!). I work full time as a software engineer, and volunteer nearly full time as a Girl Scout Leader. I helped my oldest DD's troop for 13 years, have lead my youngest DD as both troop leader and Juliette for 10 years, and this year I have agreed to be our Service Unit Manager.

I have always been a huge reader, averaging 60 to over 100 books a year for the last several years. At night, before reading myself to sleep, I relax with an audiobook and games on my phone. I also tend to binge watch sci/fi and crime shows on Netflix, Hulu, Prime and YouTubeTV. Speaking of You Tube, I love watching crafty, woodworking and DIY videos. As a family, we love long road trips and Renaissance Festivals. I am a huge New England Patriots fan, and watch their games every week that I can find them on tv.

But my newest hobby, which I haven't spent much time with but am super excited about, is wood-turning. I got a lathe for my birthday, and I absolutely love it.

20190730_215212.jpg

amandac, busywoman139 and Chippi like this.
  8. ScrappyHappy82

ScrappyHappy82 I didn't know pet stores sold husbands!

Another reader here! I love "book books" (who remembers that Ikea ad? lol)! Since we're a military family we move often so sightseeing and exploring our new duty station and all around it is also a big thing for our family!

bonnenuit, amandac and busywoman139 like this.
  9. elwaechter

elwaechter Well-Known Member

Do you think there is a connection between the scrapping gene and reading? Yes, I'm another avid reader - love a good, cozy mystery but I'm also partial to fantasy/science fiction.
    When I'm not reading, I make quilts and dolls/figures in cloth and clay. Lately I've done a lot of hand embroidery, too. I can knit, crochet, tat, bead, and a number of other crafty things that appear intermittently on my ToDo list. Then there's playing computer games and cuddling my two pugs. It's a wonder I have any time to scrap. LOL! Oh yeah - there's also researching genealogy for my husband. Whew!

10. Chippi

Chippi Those chicken nuggets are just waiting to attack

I have loved reading all of these awesome hobbies and interests!!! And so many are shared interests!!! It's amazing!! Here are my few:
    • Scrapping - But this is not my current primary hobby:cry
    • Crocheting - This is taking up most of my time at the moment. We are coming out of winter, and this year I really struggled to stay warm. Layers, heaters, gloves, warm foods. I just wanted to hibernate through it. My hands got so cold and sore when I attempted to scrap or even sort photos, so my crocheting became my main hobby, because it kept my hands and my lap warmer!! I am going to make a brag post about all the things I have done, haha, because I am so SO proud of myself for how much I achieved this winter!
    • Dyeing Yarn - Another yarn craft. This is a new one that I have only just touched the tip of the iceberg, but I am obsessed.
    • Other than that I am watching Netflix/Stan/Amazon Prime - Hubby and I just finished watching The Magicians, Absolutely recommended if you can cope with a bit of bad language. I am rewatching Glee to then finish it off, and my daughter and I are watching Once Upon a Time.
    Does cleaning the house count as a hobby? That's the other thing I spend time doing :giggle

It's funny though. Unlike so many of you.. I do not like reading. I don't like the feel of books, when they get dusty they make me sneeze and I just don't enjoy reading. This is such a contrast from pre-baby me, because I read books ALL THE TIME. It was like after babies, I just don't have the attention span to read books. I have even tried e-books to bypass the paper/dust thing, and it just isn't for me. There are some books that I am desperate to read or read again, and one day I will, but for now, reading isn't my thing.

cinderella, amandac and busywoman139 like this.
  11. AnotherAmanda

AnotherAmanda Well-Known Member

I read historical mysteries.
    I like photography.
    I like to get out and walk.
    I love musicals.
    I just started embroidering as something to do while Ben is playing around and I can pick up/put down without making myself crazy.

12. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

Photography goes hand-in-hand with scrapping, so I almost didn't mention it. But I've recently come to the conclusion that it isn't an iPHONE, it's an iCAMERA! Put my DSLR in a camera bag on a shelf in a closet several years ago. Love my iPhone camera and editing photos with Photoshop.

When it is warm and dry I love to play golf.

We travel, mostly to see out-of-state kids, but also for golf and sight-seeing/photograpy

I play the autoharp to accompany hymn/chorus-singing in our home church.

I used to be an AVID reader, but not so much any more. What I DO read is mostly on my Kindle...free library books...mostly classics and cozy mysteries.

amandac, Beth Holmes and busywoman139 like this.
  13. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

There's a ton out there!!!! It's amazing. And if you have access to a genealogy library it's even more incredible!

amandac, janedee and busywoman139 like this.
  14. mnjenlittle

mnjenlittle Dewey Decimal, I love you!

Reader here, too (in case you couldn't tell from my tag line :giggle). I am finally caught up with my Goodreads goal. I have read 90 books a year the last several years. I also crochet and cross-stitch.

amandac, Beth Holmes and busywoman139 like this.
  15. lm44west

lm44west Active Member

Hi. My name is Mary and I like to read and play games.

16. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

What is that thing? and why is it digging?

amandac and jenn mccabe like this.
  17. busywoman139

busywoman139 Wish and hope and ... poof! There it is!

So fun to read about everyone's other hobbies! I am also an avid reader, (psst...the TLP Reading Pad BookClub is fun to participate in!!) love photography, and doing crafty art projects - latest favorite mediums are watercolors and alcohol inks. One of my 2019 goals was to learn how to knit - but the year is getting away from me at this point!!

amandac and Beth Holmes like this.
  18. rlucasmn

rlucasmn Headed to Craigh na Dun... and beyond

I've had hobbies beyond scrapbooking over the years including macrame, crochet, cross-stitch, quilting. However, those all seem long in the past.
    Current hobbies besides scrapbooking are reading (which I do daily) and being a hockey mom!

amandac likes this.
  19. RJMJ

RJMJ Picked like a bright red apple right off the tree!

I Really Only Have Time For One Hobby Obsession...And That's Scrapbooking!!!...If You Count Watching TV A Hobby!...Then I'm Pretty Much Obsessed...So I Guess I Have 2 Hobby Obsessions!...I Really Do Love My Workouts!...They Have Helped Me Lose 53 Pounds!...But I Don't Think That Qualifies As A Hobby!...I'm Also Obsessed With Natural Products...I Have Severe Skin Allergies & Sensitivities...So I'm Also Obsessed With Great Quality Skin Care...Eventhough They Are Natural Products Per Se...They Must Also Work Too & Be Effective...No Scents,No Alcohol,No Fillers,No Animal Testing...Just Good Natural Sourced Ingredients...I Can't Use Any Of That Over The Counter Stuff...Filled With Chemicals,Alcohol,Silicons Etc...That Stuff Is So Bad For Your Skin & Body...

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    amandac and Beth Holmes like this.
  20. Beth Holmes

Beth Holmes Member

My other main hobby is choral singing. I sing in the Providence Singers. We are a group of 90-100 singers and we perform choral works with the Rhode Island Philharmonic a few times a year. We also perform on our own. This is a big time commitment of a minimum of one 3 hour rehearsal per week, and more in a concert week -- but I love it. I wish I could get paid to do it. I sing in my church choir as well.

I also love to read and listen to books -- I get a lot of "reading" done on my hour long commute to work.

I also am a very amateur knitter -- especially in the Winter in front of the TV in the evenings to keep my hands busy. If I had a laptop I would scrapbook instead, but I use an iMac in my study.

Unfortunately I also work full-time so I don't have enough time to scrapbook which I LOVE too.

Oh -- and taking long (or short) walks, especially in the woods or to the beach.

Fun thread! Happy Digital Scrapbooking Day!
    ~Beth

amandac likes this.