Winner Announced**CLOSED** GTKY - OTHER Hobbies! | DSD 2019

Discussion in 'DSD 2019 Party Pad' started by amandac, Oct 3, 2019.

1. amandac

amandac Read, or Run? Hmmm ...

Hi everyone! Its Amanda here (the Aussie one :giggle) and I am so excited to hang out with all you fabulous people for DSD! Its such a wonderful time to play games, chase that frog around the site, chat with friends, get in on some AMAZING sales AND get to know each other a little bit better! And as you can probably tell from the title, this is a getting to know (GTKY) game!!

I thought it would be fun to find out what you all like to do when you AREN'T scrapbooking ... so tell me about your other hobbies?

My other hobby is READING!!!! It is my FAVOURITE thing in the world to do (apart from scrapbooking!). At my last count, I have nearly 850 paperback books and over 4760 ebooks, so its probably more of an obsession than a hobby :giggle

[​IMG]

In my spare time I also like to knit and crotchet. I am an enthusiastic, rather than talented, practitioner but I find it very relaxing ....

[​IMG]

So what about you? Tell me what else you like to do in your down time?

At the end of the weekend (on Tuesday, October 8th at 11am EDT) I will pick one random winner to win a $3 gift certificate.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    mnjenlittle, KarenB and umyesh like this.
  2. umyesh

umyesh Swooning for warm bread & butter

It's so fun to get to know each other better! I like to read, listen to podcasts, eat, and play sports.

amandac and KarenB like this.
  3. lmjrocko

lmjrocko See that in my rear view mirror? That's Michigan!

I love to read, and write.

4. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I like to play with stickers in my Happy Planner - which is kind of like scrapping. I love photography. I am on a bowling league - not that I am good, but I have fun (and they give handicaps).

Some day I want to go back to reading and crochet. I used to cross-stitch before I started scrapping. And sewing (been 20+ years since I did that actively). Some day I want to learn to knit.

amandac, KarenB and Trish like this.
  5. morgyns

morgyns Well-Known Member

I scrapbook (previously with paper now just with my iPad). I like to read but having 2 little people at home I never get a chance (unless dr Seuss is counted ). I love cooking and baking, I also sew and cross stitch too when I get 5 minutes free that is.

amandac, KarenB and HeatherB like this.
  6. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

I love to read, and I'm starting to dabble in genealogy! Just was approved with my first Patriot for the Daughters of the American Revolution and now I'm addicted to finding MORE Patriots - I know there's more on my tree!

Other than that I'm an avid swim, basketball, and golf mom!

Oh, and I'm coaching my son to Eagle - that's a fun challenge if you know what 15 year old boys are like!

oh Yeah, and @QuiltyMom reminded me Disney can be a hobby. LOL!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    amandac, KarenB, BevG and 1 other person like this.
  7. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom Practically Perfect in Every Way

Wow. This is a loaded question! I love to sew, knit, crochet, quilt, bake, garden, needle felt, embroider, sing, and watch BBC shows. I also love anything Disney!

cinna, amandac, KarenB and 2 others like this.
  8. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom Practically Perfect in Every Way

Good for you, and him! And I totally understand. Been there, done that. I told my son he had to do three things before he turned 18: graduate from high school, get his driver's license, and earn his Eagle. He did them all - whew!

amandac and tinkerbell1112 like this.
  9. supergirljennie

supergirljennie Active Member

I love to read and plan future Disney vacations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amandac, KarenB and tinkerbell1112 like this.
  10. tinkerbell1112

BBC!!!!! Me too

amandac and QuiltyMom like this.
  11. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

Currently addicted to crocheting - I can listen to books and podcasts while doing it so feeding many addictions at once! I go to the gym regularly but that is a necessity rather than something I enjoy...

These are my latest - I am aiming to start selling my finished products off next year, I love making them but don't need them hanging around the house once done.
    [​IMG]

Dalis, amandac, busywoman139 and 2 others like this.
  12. tinkerbell1112

that's great! good goals! Yeah, he's 15.5 and earned Life this week. whew! Now on the the biggie! but man it's a lot of "did you do..." "did you ask..."

amandac and QuiltyMom like this.
  13. tinkerbell1112

those are absolutely adorable!!!!

amandac likes this.
  14. tinkerbell1112

that's totally a hobby!! LOL

amandac likes this.
  15. Trish

Trish Well-Known Member

I'm a photographer so this is my busy season now. Getting ready for family holiday photos. I love reading...just finishing a John Grisham novel and don't even get me started on my DVR, Netflix, Prime, and Hulu addiction

16. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Oh you have plenty of time!!! My two sons were much closer --- #1 son turned in the final paperwork the day before his birthday and #2 son turned it in the week before his birthday.

At least the Girl Scouts have a hard deadline for everyone, Sept 30. We made that date with almost 2 months to spare! She got her Gold Award (kind of the GS equivalent of Eagle).

amandac likes this.
  17. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I read in any spare time I get.

18. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

I like to cross-stitch, bake, take walks, read with my daughter, watch Disney movies, travel anywhere and everywhere, watch sports, and do yoga.

19. michelepixels

michelepixels Amazing, Awesome and Wonderful!

I also love to read but lately I've only read 15-20 actual books a year (which I track on Goodreads) (and while my kids were young only a few non-children's books!). So I'm impressed by your collection, Amanda! I mostly use the public library. I stopped collecting books years ago.

I became proficient at knitting in 2018 and finished a big afghan, but haven't started another project. I decided to return to an old cross stitch project instead, but then I gave up on it because I wasn't really enjoying it. I think cross stitching is easy, but I realized I didn't really want the picture I was creating.

In my free time this year, and during walks and housework and drives, I've been doing a lot of listening. A few audiobooks, but mostly podcasts. I use the Overcast podcast app; much better than the iPhone podcast app. My current favorite podcasts include NPR Politics, TED Talks, Stuff You Should Know, The Ezra Klein Show, Freakonomics Radio, 99% Invisible, Lore, Dear Hank and John, Anthropocene Reviewed, The Day One Podcast, and Wait Wait Don't Tell Me.

I also watch a lot of YouTube, usually in the last hour or two before bed. My most favorite thing on YouTube, for over a year now, which I watch very regularly, every Sunday, is Eamon & Bec's van life vlog. They are producing visually beautiful content and it's wonderful to go on their adventures around the world with them, virtually. (I don't have any money for traveling in real life.) I also watch a lot of interviews of presidential candidates and documentary type videos from channels like Today I Found Out (lots of random interesting topics), Kurzgesagt (beautiful animated productions about science and tech), and It's Okay To Be Smart (He always says, "Don't forget to be curious!" :D ).

I've also been journaling a lot for the past year, using the Day One app. I think it has kind of replaced (maybe temporarily) my longtime hobby of photography. I've barely picked up my DSLR this year. But I miss it sometimes and think I will probably get back into photography someday. I was so obsessed with it from 2012 through 2016, it seems kind of weird to think of letting it go, after all the classes I took and the time I spent studying it and going on photo walks with local photog groups. Then again, I've been a shutterbug all my life, so maybe it's simply the recording of my life that is my hobby -- not the art of photography -- and I'm still doing that every day. I just do it with my iPhone and the Day One journal app. But when I do pick up my DSLR about once a month this year . . . first, I'm impressed I can still manage to make a decent photo (maybe it's like getting back on a bike; you don't forget?), and second, I find myself enjoying it. That's why I think I might find my way back to the art and hobby of photography again someday. It's probably a casualty of having gotten a new job this year.

Whew! This is a post for my journal! :wub I may not be scrapping as much this year, but I still find this forum inspirational. Thanks! :love

20. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

I love to read, but when I get into a book I want to stop doing everything else. So I tend to listen to audiobooks more than read paper books--that way I can listen while I scrap, go to the gym, do things around the house, etc. I'm also going to count myself in the Disney planners group. I finished scrapping our 2018 trip in August, so it's a good thing we leave again in less than a month! I've been planning this trip since we got back from the last one. I don't know what I'll do afterward, since it will probably be 3+ years until we're back again.

amandac, rlucasmn and KarenB like this.