Windows 11?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by mrs2a50, Mar 16, 2023.

1. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

I've successfully avoided updating to Windows 11 up until now, because I had read about various bugs and issues. However, today I noticed that I have a "No Audio Output Device Installed" error - and I have no sound on my laptop. I've gone through a bunch of different fixes on the web with no success, so I'm wondering if its a "forced" error to get me to upgrade.

Looking for any horror OR success stories on the upgrade to Windows 11.

2. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

I’m so glad you asked because I have been wondering if it was time to update.

mrs2a50 likes this.
  3. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I've got it on 2 computers. Had no choice since when I bought them, you couldn't get Win10. There are some things different with it but MS has made some changes that people were asking for. One was the task bar being centered when it was released. You can have it on the side just like Win 10 after much yelling by users.

Others will tell use that you cannot see psd files in explorer view and that is true. But I use Picasa where I can see psd's. The other thing that I have heard about was the ability to see what is in your folders (previews named folder.jpg). I guess that has been changed but I still don't have it. Again, I have gotten used to not having it. I'm on Windows Home version 21H2. Evidently the update needed (22H2) for the folder issue is in final rollout for Home users.

mrs2a50 likes this.
  4. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I have had Windows 11 for quite a while. The biggest change was they took away the folder.jpg preview option. Well, I guess the outcry was too much, so it is now back. Few other things like photo viewer, etc. look different.

That said, I did "break" someone's brand new laptop with Windows 11. I removed Norton Virus checker, did not start up Windows virus checker, and rebooted to finish the Norton uninstall. Windows 11 locked (encrypted) the entire machine as part of the reboot. Unfortunately, about a half hour before that, we had also just changed the phone number of her Microsoft account from a landline to the a cell phone and that froze the account for 30 days. To unlock the machine, we had to get a passcode that was stored in the now frozen Microsoft account. Argghhh. We ended up returning the machine. All that to say Windows 11 is a different animal, so be careful if you like to poke around in things. Most of the changes are around security from what I have been told.

mrs2a50 likes this.
  5. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

My ability to see what's in my folders has been sporadic, at best, since I got my current computer. I see some folders and not others. Which has been a massive pain, but won't be something new. But I would love to have it back. And I'm not a huge tinker person on my computer - I'm just not savvy enough to be comfortable with that.

I worry about lack of support and security updates with W10, and figure I'm better off upgrading before I reach critical stage. I just hate any sort of change ...

cfile likes this.
  6. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

he bought me new msi laptop for xmas. Used it once, did a layout by filenames, as the thumbview view, hadnt got done showing when i completed the layout. I so removed it from my 2nd device used on the cloud

i am 7 year behind in unziipping, and i am obsessed with shoping for kits. i have no order, and do not see any future order to them, either with external ssd drive or big ass drive gum stick in 2nd slot.

7. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I just upgraded my craft room computer last weekend to Windows 10 from Windows 7. :giggle I don't like to rush things. :rofl

Nemla, bestcee and BevG like this.
  8. 3BluEyedBabies

3BluEyedBabies Falling for pumpkin ...

I just upgraded my computer from windows 8.1 to windows 10. It's too old and I can't upgrade to windows 11!

9. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

I have two major complaints in regards to Windows 11. First, as mentioned by others, it took away the folder pictures until recently. It sort of brought them back as photos displayed inside file folders. They are better than nothing, but the change really falls under the category - if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

The second problem deals with peripherals. It just doesn’t play well with others. My HP printer works very slowly with system 11. I have to turn the printer off and on occasionally to get it to communicate with the computer.

In spite of numerous hours working with the good folks at Epson, we could never get my Epson FastPhoto 640 to work with system 11.

Good luck.

10. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

i like go backwards, computers today are only big phones... no more pesonel data bases, work processor, etc. have used since 1979...

11. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

I hate updates messes with things so badly. Eric updated and now we can't unzip things in bulk anymore makes us unzip folders one by one instead of being able to click a bunch and unzip them all at once really sucks and makes it worse on time... let alone a bunch of annoying other issues we found with the upgrade like issues with our HD hook up for watching TV shows and movies.. and glitches jn sound...

12. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

I've had Windows 11 for a while now, I think I did the upgrade pretty early. I haven't had any issues besides when they took away our folder previews. But those are back now.

13. mary kate

mary kate Well-Known Member

I had to replace my laptop in early January, and my new computer has Windows 11. No major issues (knock wood!), but I now have a couple of annoying little glitchy things in Photoshop (related to Windows 11? I assume so, but don't know enough to actually know...).

cfile likes this.
  14. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

HA! I’m still running Windows 7 on my home and office desktops. In spite of MS saying they aren’t updating WIN 7, I’m still getting updates … latest one was a couple of nights ago.

Not only do I hate dealing with a new operating system, invariably I lose the ability to run some of my software programs.

Nemla likes this.
  15. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I'm still on Windows 10 and I believe unless I upgrade some of my systems parts I can't upgrade to Windows 11 which is fine by me given my computer is only just over a year old

bestcee likes this.
  16. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I think that is PS CC (and perhaps a window issue in general?? ) as this recent upgrade is making my ruler invisable and the warp is wacky... I selected 2 things in preferences (see this post) and that made my rulers come out of hiding and also the warp tool working correctly again. I am on windows 10.

mary kate likes this.
  17. CathQuillScrap

CathQuillScrap I suspect foul play...

My Mom's laptop had that issue last year... Windows 10. We found it was an update error so rolled back to the previous update and it worked fine again. Maybe try that before getting Windows 11.

I have a new laptop that came with Windows 11 and must say that up to now it's been fine. It did another update last night and I see a pretty picture icon on the search button on the taskbar... unnecessary but guess that's what the developer thinks is needed... hehe.

cfile likes this.
  18. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

Oh goodness, I have no idea what I have. Every time the computer says update, I update and it's all good. No worries anywhere, so I am a happy camper.

19. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I don't have the picture icon in the search bar and I got the update the other night. But, there is now a Bing icon at the far right next to the 3 dots for the settings and more menu. MS does keep trying to push Bing as the search engine but I keep saying nope! When I googled to see how to get rid of the icon, there were already multiple pages of articles on how to do it... but at this point it is changing the registry which I don't mess with. After every update, I go and check all my settings to turn off stuff they have added that I don't want.

20. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I'm on 10. I've had computer trouble this year so don't want any more problems if I can help it. I will stick with 10 as long as I can.