Windows 10/downloading products

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by Sokee, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

Okay time to talk about Windows 10 which I just downloaded this weekend onto my computer. The issue I need help with is I went to download a paper pack and the way you download and save is totally different from the way I have always done it. And I have been trying to figure it out on my own............... Is there anyone who can give me a quick lesson or link to that will give you a simple way to save from the store to the correct file you want them in?

before I always had the option to 'save as' button and then I could choose the folder I wanted my 'product' in. Once I was in the folder I could hit the
    'save' button then 'extract' once it was downloaded.

2. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

Nothing changed for me after upgrading. I click the download links, they download to my Downloads folder, and I use 7zip to unzip all of them to my scrap stash folder at the same time.

3. Sokee

hmmm I never had a 'download' folder before.

as always just need to get used to doing it a new way. Just don't like that it is more steps.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  4. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

I too use a downloads folder, so I saw no change. Sounds like something that could be changed in your computer preferences. How frustrating, though, I agree!

5. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

Windows has had a Downloads folder for a long time, but maybe you just didn't use it. It's not really more steps if you have more than one file to extract, since doing your method, as I understand it, you can only extract one at a time. Using an extraction program, you can unzip them all at once and at the same time, say where to move them to.

There is probably a way to Save As, but I've never needed to do that. Are you using the Edge browser?

6. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I use Chrome and inside Chrome's preferences there is a place to pick the location for downloads. The default is to go to the downloads folder and I've always hated that. There is also a setting that says something like "ask for download location" for each thing you download. That is what I do, so I can pick where they go. I hope that helps! Especially since I'm planning to upgrade to Windows 10 very soon and will be very annoyed if I can't still download that way!

I just looked. It's under Settings, then go all the way down and click on Advanced Settings and then below that look for "Downloads" and click the box next to "Ask where to save each file before downloading" Of course this only helps if you use Chrome...

7. Sokee

Thanks Karen!

8. jaye

jaye My other car is a Zamboni!

I have yet to upgrade to Windows 10. My Windows 7 laptop died and I had to go back to using my old one which is Vista, finally got my new laptop about a month ago so adjusting to 8.1. Waiting to hear if it's the same or another learning curve.

9. dvhoward

dvhoward Don't bother me before 10am!

I'm waiting for my son-in-law to put Windows 10 on his computer so he'll have it all figured out before he loads it onto mine. I love that my sweet SIL is my IT guy.

10. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  11. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

I use the downloads folder and have a shortcut to it on the desktop which makes it super easy to use. I haven't downloaded 10 yet either. I want all the kinks to work themselves out before I do so.

12. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

Yes this is something that has been bugging me too. So thanks Karen! I'll check it out. Basically my Download folder is my scrapbooking folder. Which is not ideal and I am already trying to change that but it'll take some time.