Why it Works | Stand-Out Titles

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by jenn mccabe, May 1, 2017.

What kind of scrapper are you when it comes to titles?

1. I'm a "titles are an afterthought" type of scrapper.

48.8%
  2. I use templates to help me get the title just right.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I make strong & beautiful titles look like a piece of cake.

16.3%
  4. I tend not to title my pages.

16.3%
  5. other (share in thread if you want).

18.6%
  1. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

[​IMG]

Welcome to another edition of Why it Works, where we share and highlight a page from an awesome scrapper in our gallery that utilizes a really cool technique, a design trick, a photography tip, journaling ideas or any number of other things to get you scrapping outside your comfort zone. We hope to share and inspire you to try something new, revisit an old technique you may have forgotten about, or maybe just approach that blank canvas in a new way.

So, here are some of the things you can do to be involved in this thread if you want to be.
    1. Ohhh and Ahhh over the awesome layout or project that has been highlighted and head over to the gallery and show the scrapper some love.
    2. Learn something new from the tip or tutorial. It's all about becoming better at our craft! 3. Try the technique yourself and post it in this thread for us to see.
    4. Show off other pages from the gallery that use the technique as well. Be sure to link them so we can give them the love they deserve!
    5. Ask questions about the technique that you may have or tell us how you may do it differently. There are many ways to do these things and this thread is all about the learning!

*note: this is not to be a critique of the page/project in any way, it's all about learning to emulate the awesome technique highlighted. Any negative comments about the highlighted page will be deleted.*
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is so much to love about this page by @amien1 … I could easily create 5 different Why it Works posts! But I’ll try and contain myself and keep it simple with highlighting ONE fabulous detail on this page.

[​IMG]

Can we talk about the title people?

I struggle with making my titles amazing. Seriously my "go to" title is usually a piece of word art from a kit. I know, lame! So in an effort to try and get better at creating titles, I am always on the look-out for pages that excel in this area. This page by amien1 has such a stand-out title.

1. I love the font for the word "Americans" and how she made it into a sticker. Using the tan color was such a an awesome choice for her sticker background too - I tend to gravitate towards white and need to be mindful to try other colors!
    2. The little banner acts like a shelf for her “Americans” title to sit on - again another thing I struggle with, as my titles often feel unfinished to me, like they are floating on air. I just adore the way the banner looks as part of the title.
    3. The cute little baseball and heart button cluster is just a sweet finishing piece that rounds out the bigger "title cluster". Using groupings of three (the word "Americans", the banner, and the little element cluster) is a great design trick as our eyes find them pleasing.

Besides Scrapping with Liz’s fabulous template Grand Slam, that helped build the foundation for this knock-out page ... here are a few other template sets that make creating amazing titles easy peasy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone have any tips they care to share for us "title challenged" scrappers?

Also ... I’d love to see a page from you with your favorite title you’ve made to date. Link me up!

angiekey and keepscrappin like this.
  2. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

I tend to fall in the "don't title at all" category the most, with a runner up in the "after thought" one too. I use a lot of word art or strips to title sometimes too. I don't have any tips. ROFL

I do have one cool title I did, that I love
    [​IMG]

flowersgal, angiekey, MrsPeel and 2 others like this.
  3. jenn mccabe

I love that page Kianai! The way the "E"s nestle under the T's is pretty clever! :)

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  4. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

I love having a title on my layouts, it's a must! I used to make them myself with an alpha or font, but now that there's so much fabulous word art available, I tend to use those and group them with some elements to make them shine. Like you said templates are a fabulous way to get your titles in the right place so they look awesome. I love these templates that make the title LARGE AND IN CHARGE on your layout. They're so easy to use to get a FABULOUS title.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  5. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I tend to title on most pages or one of a double page layout. I wouldn't call them strong or beautiful though, lol! It's between the strong and beautiful... and the afterthought. I put some thought, but I think it's pry more functional. :giggle
    Plus... word art is my friend. East title! :P

Templates always make it easier to decide where to put my title!

One with lots of mixed fonts. For MOC, and it was fun to create it!
    [​IMG]

I love when titles are on and clipped to the paper too.... I don't do it often, only cause it doesn't always look right.
    [​IMG]

6. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

Thank you!!!

jenn mccabe likes this.
  7. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

Awe- Thanks Jen! Honestly- with almost all my titles I use styles. I'm a style addict. It's such a simple way to make a regular ole font pop off the page! But- I also use a lot of word art too! ;)

8. jenn mccabe

I'll have to try your trick for taking WA and jazzing them up with elements - seriously love that page! Oh ... & good finds @keepscrappin !!! Love those templates. And I spy some fabulous new templates/title helpers coming to the store this weekend for BYOC ... I will for sure link those up when they go live!

keepscrappin likes this.
  9. jenn mccabe

glad to see I am not alone in the relying on WA camp for titles @jk703 love your pages you've shared! (i'm taking notes!) :)

jk703 likes this.
  10. jenn mccabe

Great tip! No shortage of styles here at the pad with Leah @mommyish in the house!! :beat

11. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I rely on WA a lot for titles. And by a lot, I mean the biggest majority of the time. I did use word art for this one, but the repeating "click" was a big journal/filler card that I blended in to the background so that it looked more like a WA title and not a card.

[​IMG]

12. jenn mccabe

@IntenseMagic the blended JC tip is awesome -and love it combined with a piece of word art! (And that photo is awesome!!!)

MrsPeel and IntenseMagic like this.
  13. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I think titles maybe my most favorite part of the page! I love them! My last fun one is this one:
    [​IMG]

14. jenn mccabe

I will have to study your gallery for ideas @AnneofAlamo - that page -and the title - are gorgeous!

15. corsicar

corsicar Dinner tonight? Something chocolate I'm sure!

I love making titles! If there's a cool WA I might use that, especially on a cleaner page. But I love alphas.

This is my one of my favorites, the sticker effect worked really nicely.
    [​IMG]

The MOC style challenge taught me a lot too! I've experimented more with styles and tutorials lately.
    [​IMG]

16. AliSarah

AliSarah Oh great. Now I have pixie dust in my hair!

This is one of my favorite titles that I did from the MOC...
    [​IMG]

I like to use an awesome alpha to make a great title stand out!!

Huggles!!
    ~Sarah~

17. jenn mccabe

those titles are fantastic. your shadows on the Ice Ice - wow, it looks so realistic and i love it paired with the candy cane stripes! & i agree, making stickers is a great way to make custom titles!

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  18. jenn mccabe

that alpha is adorable and deftly deserves full attention. i love the layers of thin paper strips, ribbons and scallops. what a cute idea for a foundation/shelf for the title to sit on!

19. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

OK, here I am, who's worse part of my layouts is the titles!! First, i don't even think of it until the layout is done, and then I draw a blank!!!! Like----duhhhh, what do you mean I need a title?????? I am not at all creative with titles----usually just throw some words on there. So, I will be haunting this thread!!!!! HELP!!!!!

20. jenn mccabe

oh me too @NancyP ... I think that's why I started the thread. I need all the title help I can get. :giggle