Why It Works | Splitting a Word Art

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Oct 15, 2018.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

[​IMG]
    Welcome to another edition of Why it Works, where we share and highlight a page from an awesome scrapper in our gallery that utilizes a really cool technique, a design trick, a photography tip, journaling ideas or any number of other things to get you scrapping outside your comfort zone. We hope to share and inspire you to try something new, revisit an old technique you may have forgotten about, or maybe just approach that blank canvas in a new way.

So, here are some of the things you can do to be involved in this thread if you want to be.
    1. Ohhh and Ahhh over the awesome layout or project that has been highlighted and head over to the gallery and show the scrapper some love.
    2. Learn something new from the tip or tutorial. It's all about becoming better at our craft!
    3. Try the technique yourself and post it in this thread for us to see.
    4. Show off other pages from the gallery that use the technique as well. Be sure to link them so we can give them the love they deserve!
    5. Ask questions about the technique that you may have or tell us how you may do it differently. There are many ways to do these things and this thread is all about the learning!

*note: this is not to be a critique of the page/project in any way, it's all about learning to emulate the awesome technique highlighted. Any negative comments about the highlighted page will be deleted.*
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today, I am sharing a gorgeous page with you by @Keely~B:

[​IMG]

And not only is it absolutely gorgeous, I love how she has altered the word art to better fit the feel of her page. Sometimes the word art that comes with a kit is awesome just the way it is, but sometimes you may want to alter it, maybe to use it mixed with journaling or to fit in a certain spot on your page, or maybe you only want to use part of a phrase. In her layout, Keely cut apart the “everything is too much” word art to make it two separate pieces.

I do this quite often and it’s really simple! If I am wanting to just have a word art that’s on a background split with straight edges I will often just use the rectangular marquee tool, and simply cut/paste or layer via cut. You can do this anywhere in the word art and as many times as you want to fit your layout.
    Capture1.JPG
    Capture2.JPG

You can also use the lasso tool, marquee tool, or eraser to remove to parts of word art to make it fit the design or theme of your page.
    Capture3.JPG
    Capture4.JPG

Or cut/paste sections of the word art and move them around
    Capture5.JPG

It’s a super fun way to expand your stash and make the most of your word art collection! Do you ever play around with splitting up word art in a kit? If so, please share!

Ferdy, Danyale and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  2. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

Great why it works. I find I do it often as well. Now let's see if I can find an actual layout in my gallery. ROFL

IntenseMagic likes this.
  3. IntenseMagic

Yeah, I was looking for an example in my gallery last night, but my eyes were crossing lol. I know I've done it tons of times haha

cfile and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  4. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

Lol I do this all the time too- sometimes I even edit out a word, or make a word plural or clip other wordarts together as shapes, etc! The only one I can think of off the top of my head of course is this one-

[​IMG]

I needed the word strips to fit that space in the UR. ;)

5. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

I do that a lot!
    In this case those WAs seemed too long for my page:
    [​IMG]
    And here I also replaced one of the words with an alpha:
    [​IMG]

Danyale and IntenseMagic like this.
  6. IntenseMagic

Love that!!! Perfect example!! Thanks for sharing!

7. IntenseMagic

Those are so great!! I often split word arts that are really long. Thanks so much for sharing!

cinderella likes this.
  8. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

I do this all of the time too! I have been known to cut letters out of the designer's word strips to make my own words, but it looks like the original word strip when done. I also use this in date elements when working with an older photo and my year isn't in one of the designer's options. I will try to see if I can find an example.

cfile and IntenseMagic like this.
  9. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Awesome idea Jan. I feel like I used to do this years ago - but lately I've forgotten this little tip/trick. Will have to push this to the front of the brain for a revisit! It definitely makes the kits much more versatile. And Cindy's page, using it on those long WA border strips is such a great idea too. Love this! Love the pages!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  10. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Here is one using Stitched-down Dates by @LynnG https://the-lilypad.com/store/Stitched-Down-Dates.html
    The years provided range from 2014 thru 2019, but my 1995 year doesn't fall within the range. So I captured the 19 from 2019, then re-used the "9" from 2019 and cut out the "5" from 2015 to = 1995. I have used these dates for so many vintage layouts. :-)
    [​IMG]

And here is one for a challenge from Dawn...
    The word art on the left was originally "SMALL BOY BIG DREAMS". I changed "BOY" to "DOG" by cutting out the D from another "identical" word art "PRIDE & JOY" and the G from "MUD MAGNET".
    [​IMG]

11. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I do this ALL THE TIME... love doing this!

12. Dalis

Here is my last one doing this, the "Pumpkin Patch" WA didn't fit right, so I cut it and arranged it so it would fit in the little space I had left.

[​IMG]

wvsandy, IntenseMagic and LynnG like this.
  13. IntenseMagic

Omgosh, how creative!! I love these so much!! And now I have new ideas!!

mcurtt likes this.
  14. IntenseMagic

Perfect example!! Thanks, Dalis!!

Dalis likes this.
  15. Dalis

I love cutting WA because sometimes you can change the entire meaning of the WA.

IntenseMagic and cfile like this.
  16. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Me too Marilyn!

IntenseMagic and mcurtt like this.
  17. frani_54

frani_54 Well-Known Member

Yep, great way to use your wordart and make it work on your layout.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  18. IntenseMagic

Yes!! Love doing this!

Dalis likes this.
  19. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

Here's one where I replaced one word of the WA with an alpha.
    [​IMG]
    In this one I copied the S and added it back at the end to make it plural.
    [​IMG]

IntenseMagic and mcurtt like this.
  20. IntenseMagic

Those are so great!! I'm getting lots of new ideas! Thanks for sharing, Sandy!!