Why It Works | Photo as a Background

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Jun 17, 2018.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

[​IMG]
    Welcome to another edition of Why it Works, where we share and highlight a page from an awesome scrapper in our gallery that utilizes a really cool technique, a design trick, a photography tip, journaling ideas or any number of other things to get you scrapping outside your comfort zone. We hope to share and inspire you to try something new, revisit an old technique you may have forgotten about, or maybe just approach that blank canvas in a new way.

So, here are some of the things you can do to be involved in this thread if you want to be.
    1. Ohhh and Ahhh over the awesome layout or project that has been highlighted and head over to the gallery and show the scrapper some love.
    2. Learn something new from the tip or tutorial. It's all about becoming better at our craft!
    3. Try the technique yourself and post it in this thread for us to see.
    4. Show off other pages from the gallery that use the technique as well. Be sure to link them so we can give them the love they deserve!
    5. Ask questions about the technique that you may have or tell us how you may do it differently. There are many ways to do these things and this thread is all about the learning!

*note: this is not to be a critique of the page/project in any way, it's all about learning to emulate the awesome technique highlighted. Any negative comments about the highlighted page will be deleted.*
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am running a bit behind getting this posted this month, but I let last week totally get away from me! But when I saw this layout by @suzyqscraps, I just knew what I wanted my topic to be!

[​IMG]

I am a super fan of big photo layouts and how cool is it to use the photo as the background (or almost total background) of the page! We've covered some photo blending and framing of big photos, but how about just using the photo as it is and embellishing right on top of it. I love how she did the title work, all those great word strips down the side, and the sweet elements. Her page was a scraplift of another amazing page by @ArmyGrl

[​IMG]

Adding the word art and elements on the side is the perfect way to embellish without taking anything away from the gorgeous photo!
    @jagruti patel also scraplifted this page and did an amazing job with her page

[​IMG]

And while strolling through the gallery, I came across this page by @jjpederson125

[​IMG]

Another beautiful example of using the photo as the background and embellishing right on top of it!

I am now really inspired to try this myself! Have you ever used a photo as the background of a page? We'd love to see them!!

2. LynnG

LynnG Designer

Wow - such fantastic examples :agree

3. LynnG

LynnG Designer

4. IntenseMagic

5. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

What beautiful examples! Lynn, I adore your photo background pages!!

6. Cherylndesigns

I wish I did it more, but I found a couple of my layouts where I used a photo for the background.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bellbird, IntenseMagic and mcurtt like this.
  7. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

I love using large photos. Here are some as backgrounds:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. mcurtt

Here are a few more: Sorry to have hijacked the thread...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not sure if this one "technically" applies, but the photo is large. :-)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bellbird, wvsandy and IntenseMagic like this.
  9. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

I do that a lot, when I've bought only:giggle the element pack, not the papers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

11. IntenseMagic

Ohhh these are gorgeous!! I adore that ferris wheel and what an awesome way to use a big beach photo!!

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  12. IntenseMagic

These are fantastic, Marilyn!! Wow...just stunning!! I am so glad you posted them all or I would have missed them!!

mcurtt likes this.
  13. IntenseMagic

These are absolutely beautiful!! And what a creative way to use just an element pack if that's all you have! Great tip!!!

cinderella likes this.
  14. IntenseMagic

Oh how gorgeous!!! Beautiful examples!! I am not a fan of winter, but that layout is stunning and how adorable is that first one!

15. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

I'm not used to do this, but I did a page with a photo as background for the scraplift challenge and I love the result!! and now I see all these gorgeous pages, I HAVE to try it more times!

[​IMG]

bellbird, wvsandy and mcurtt like this.
  16. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I do this on occasion! I think I should do it more often now!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bellbird and mcurtt like this.
  17. Cherylndesigns

Thanks, Jan. I have some more that I've used photos for backgrounds, but these were two of my faves, so I just grabbed them.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  18. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

I love using BIG photos as my backgrounds. I usually replace the background in a template with a photo and move things around to make it work. Here are some of my recent photo background layouts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. MrsEm

MrsEm Well-Known Member

I've been wanting to try this for a while so... perfect opportunity. This was SO hard for me and I think I hate it but it's okay, I'm all about trying new things. I just don't think I take good enough pictures to ever let them be blown up this big? I see every tiny imperfection. I thought this picture would be perfect but it's still very grainy when viewed at 100% zoom so I guess I must have been zoomed in when I took it or... something.

[​IMG]

20. mcurtt

Blending a photo into a background paper hides a world of imperfections. It can take an okay scene and make it quite artistic. That is always super fun to experiment with. BTW, your layout is nice, I like how your photos are grounded with the sand in the background.

bellbird and IntenseMagic like this.