Why it Works | Kids: Activities, School Year, Sports Highlights Wrap-up

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by jenn mccabe, May 1, 2018.

1. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

[​IMG]

Welcome to another edition of Why it Works, where we share and highlight a page from an awesome scrapper in our gallery that utilizes a really cool technique, a design trick, a photography tip, journaling ideas or any number of other things to get you scrapping outside your comfort zone. We hope to share and inspire you to try something new, revisit an old technique you may have forgotten about, or maybe just approach that blank canvas in a new way.

So, here are some of the things you can do to be involved in this thread if you want to be.
    1. Ohhh and Ahhh over the awesome layout or project that has been highlighted and head over to the gallery and show the scrapper some love.
    2. Learn something new from the tip or tutorial. It's all about becoming better at our craft!
    3. Try the technique yourself and post it in this thread for us to see.
    4. Show off other pages from the gallery that use the technique as well. Be sure to link them so we can give them the love they deserve!
    5. Ask questions about the technique that you may have or tell us how you may do it differently. There are many ways to do these things and this thread is all about the learning!

*note: this is not to be a critique of the page/project in any way, it's all about learning to emulate the awesome technique highlighted. Any negative comments about the highlighted page will be deleted.*
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I came across this page by @Megan H and fell in love with the sleek magazine style she used to highlight her daughter's cheer activity. For many of us, this marks the time of year that school and activities are starting to wrap up. What better way to document the year than with a page that highlights your child's accomplishments? Be it completing a grade level, winning an academic award, or celebrating a sport or activity ... most of us have lots of photos of these special moments and milestones. Take a look at how @Megan H documented this special moment:

[​IMG]

I love the fact that she was inpired by a mood board from MOC 2018 too! How fun! The template she used was a past freebie. It has a cute & very functional index card that can be used to journal all the details. Check your stash! Maybe you already have this gem in your downloads!

[​IMG]

My son graduates high school this year and I thought this layout idea/style would make a great invite or announcement to wrap up his senior year. And the layout for the invite could also be used as a scrapbook page in my album. I could even see it printed and framed on the wall!

Here are some more inspirational pages created with 1st or last day of school themes, sports pages, and other activities where we celebrate accomplishments!

School/Grade Levels:
    @kirstiegai - the cut out and the scene!

[​IMG]
    @navaja77 - love the different photography perspectives!
    [​IMG]
    @MariSt - love the included art work from the year!
    [​IMG]
    @beccasue71 - it's all in the details!
    [​IMG]
    @BevG - beautiful girl and beautiful photo shoot!
    [​IMG]
    Sports:
    @shaynesgirl - another gorgeous magazine like spread!
    [​IMG]
    @wvsandy - the extraction is too cute!
    [​IMG]
    @amien1 - love the QR code!
    [​IMG]
    @rdjrneace - such an amazing recap spread!
    [​IMG]
    @Iowan - I seriously need to lift this idea!
    [​IMG]
    @Teri - the composition/flow is amazing and those action shots!
    [​IMG]
    Activities/Awards:
    @Bec - those film strips!
    [​IMG]
    @londoncuppa - that focal photo and framing!
    [​IMG]
    @Smwhite - so beautiful and the title, wow!
    [​IMG]
    @Lisa_mommy2Two - love the action shots and layers!
    [​IMG]
    @mmbstaley -amazingly creative design!
    [​IMG]

TIP: To find even more awesome inspiration from our gallery showing you ways you can "wrap up" your kid's school year or acitivity in style:

• go to the Gallery
    • in the search box, type in some of these keywords: senior, grade, cheer, baseball, soccer, football, award, scouts, concert, prom
    ...and any other keyword you can think of to match your search topic!

This is a great way to find digital scrapbook products that are available for download in the store that fit your theme too! Just check the page artist's credits for the details when you see something you like! :agree

Now it's your turn ... share your inspiration or ideas with us!

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    bellbird and BevG like this.
  2. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

What a great idea! Wonderful example layouts!! I have a GD who's graduation this year. Hmmmmmmmm :thinking2

jenn mccabe likes this.
  3. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

4. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

5. jenn mccabe

I just love what @wombat146 did with this photo!
    [​IMG]

bellbird likes this.
  6. jenn mccabe

This one is so elegant and classic! @Dalis
    [​IMG]

bellbird and Dalis like this.
  7. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Thanks @jenn mccabe . I made it for your WIW and then.... SQUIRREL!

[​IMG]

bellbird and jenn mccabe like this.
  8. wombat146

wombat146 Check out my kilt! And my turret!

Thanks Jenn! The photo of my granddaughter wasn't very good quality, her Mum took it on her phone which isn't the best so I desaturated my photo and extracted my GDD. Then I played around with some blending modes!
    Tip: If you do have a poor resolution photo, not all is lost. Try playing around with filters or other photo treatments as well as experimenting with different blending modes as well. :)

jenn mccabe and bellbird like this.
  9. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I love all your highlighted pages Jenn - we wrap up in December down here but it's too crazy to scrap that stuff with Xmas as well then so I scrap them whenever - here's a few similar themed pages from me:

1st & last comparison; & highlights:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    sport
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    concerts & awards
    [​IMG][​IMG]

jenn mccabe likes this.
  10. jenn mccabe

@wombat146 you'd never know that was not the best photo. So cool with what you did with it and love the Tips! Thank you.
    @bellbird Oh wow! So many great examples of your kid's and their activities! Love it! Really love the ones with the stars! I have so many star templates - this is great reminder to pull those out and reuse them for these types of pages! Thank you!

bellbird likes this.
  11. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

12. navaja77

navaja77 Well-Known Member