Why it Works | Creatively Highlighting a part of your Photo

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by jenn mccabe, Nov 7, 2017.

1. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

[​IMG]

Welcome to another edition of Why it Works, where we share and highlight a page from an awesome scrapper in our gallery that utilizes a really cool technique, a design trick, a photography tip, journaling ideas or any number of other things to get you scrapping outside your comfort zone. We hope to share and inspire you to try something new, revisit an old technique you may have forgotten about, or maybe just approach that blank canvas in a new way.

So, here are some of the things you can do to be involved in this thread if you want to be.
    1. Ohhh and Ahhh over the awesome layout or project that has been highlighted and head over to the gallery and show the scrapper some love.
    2. Learn something new from the tip or tutorial. It's all about becoming better at our craft! 3. Try the technique yourself and post it in this thread for us to see.
    4. Show off other pages from the gallery that use the technique as well. Be sure to link them so we can give them the love they deserve!
    5. Ask questions about the technique that you may have or tell us how you may do it differently. There are many ways to do these things and this thread is all about the learning!

*note: this is not to be a critique of the page/project in any way, it's all about learning to emulate the awesome technique highlighted. Any negative comments about the highlighted page will be deleted.*
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I’ve been seeing a lot of gorgeous pages with big photos. Some scrappers are using full photos for their backgrounds and some are creatively masking them into beautiful painterly backgrounds. And then many are creatively highlighting small parts of the larger photo … little details that they want to really stand out apart from the bigger scene.

This page by @Amson grabbed my attention awhile ago. What a way to showcase an awesome photo with great leading lines! The selective masking makes you feel like you are there taking the photo and experiencing the wall yourself! And I love the way she highlights herself with the white bordered frame and fun shadows to make the picture pop. I honestly can’t imagine a better way to scrap this photo than what she achieved here!

[​IMG]

This one by @KarenB also really caught my eye. It looks like she cut out a part of the photo showcasing her loved ones and then placed it on top of a paper and a piece of vellum. It’s done so softly too. I just love the effect … and I love the fact that the title, journaling and the lovely embellishments all sit on top of that big background photo!

[​IMG]

This page by @bbymks5 ! She did a beautiful job of taking a gorgeous scenic road trip shot that she used almost full page and then pulled out some of the lovely details with a series of 3 highlight photos all stitched in place on her journaling strip - so super cute! I love that they are not perfectly aligned and 2 of the small photos overlap ever so slightly. It's gorgeous!

[​IMG]

This page by @JenEm is gorgeous with the way the reflection part of the photo blends into the background .. I love the parts she chose to highlight on the photo spots and the exact spot she chose to let the photo fall off those photo spots and spill onto the background. It’s perfection. The trees/mountians in the distance and the way they spill off onto the background give the page so much depth.

[​IMG]

And this page by @cfile is so creative too. Her clever photo treatment really draws your eye in for a closer look. Here she uses two different photos and pieces them together to look like it is one … but one is framed with a simple white stroke and the other is masked and blended into the background. It’s such a neat effect and an attention getter!

[​IMG]

The photos on these pages all make a big impact, utilizing clever techniques to get the photos on the page. What about you? Are you tempted to give one of these looks a try … or do you already have something similar in your gallery to share and inspire us. If so ... share! We want to see!

JenEm, bbymks5, KarenB and 1 other person like this.
  2. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! What a great post and I love the layouts you chose, Jenn!

jenn mccabe likes this.
  3. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Thank you Jenn for showcasing my page! @jenn mccabe All the pages here are delightful and I am honored to be in their company too! :) I love seeing all the creativity and blending going on here at the pad!

jenn mccabe likes this.
  4. KarenB

KarenB I like dogs. And maybe three people.

Thank you for featuring my layout. Fabulous work from everyone :)

jenn mccabe and cfile like this.
  5. jenn mccabe

I found this one by @Karen How cute is this to highlight a sports championship - your proud child w/trophy, the team photo and a shot of the game! love it!

[​IMG]

Karen and bbymks5 like this.
  6. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Finally remembered that I had one too, lol!

[​IMG]

cfile, bbymks5 and jenn mccabe like this.
  7. jenn mccabe

that's beautiful Jenn! i love the way the lifted photo (and framed w/the stroke) makes that special part with your boys stand out! really nice touch having the WA flow across both too! swoon!

jk703 likes this.
  8. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Here's one of mine. l love seeing what others do.

[​IMG]

cookingmylife, cfile, bbymks5 and 3 others like this.
  9. jenn mccabe

I rarely use full photo backgrounds, so I was inspired to try this look. I think mine is a blend of inspiration from KarenB and Timmi.

I had a part of the photo that I wanted to cover up, so rather than highlight a small detail from the larger photo - I took a similar photo of us in front of the castle and added it over the large background photo ... and it covered up the part of the photo I didn't like. So win/win!

[​IMG]

cfile, Karen, bbymks5 and 2 others like this.
  10. jenn mccabe

that is so creative marilyn! love the B&W and the use of the film strip and how extracted your hubby. so so cool! love it!

cfile and mcurtt like this.
  11. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

This is awesome, Jenn! I'm such a fan of big photo layouts, but I have trouble pulling them off myself! I'm going to play around with this soon!! I did do this one recently and kind of loved how it turned out

[​IMG]

bbymks5 and jenn mccabe like this.
  12. jenn mccabe

Beautiful @IntenseMagic - it’s like the papers you chose were custom made for your darling photo- what a special moment captured!!! I love the big photo with all the sweet details right on top!

13. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

I think this one would count???

[​IMG]

14. jenn mccabe

gorgeous painty mask-y goodness! the way you added that photo to your page is SO beautiful! love!

mcurtt likes this.
  15. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

Thank you for sharing mine :)

There's so many amazing examples here!! I love the how jenem and Marilyn have the watercolor feel, there's something about that style that is very calming and easy on the eyes!! I can't be the only one that thinks that right??

jenn mccabe likes this.
  16. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

jenn mccabe likes this.
  17. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Here is an older one from me with a very blended picture!

[​IMG]

jenn mccabe and cfile like this.
  18. jenn mccabe

i missed this @Dalis ... love your shadows, patterns and especially how you have everything meet at the triangle point - very cool design - your journaling tucked into that shape is awesome!

19. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Cool picks for your post up there Jenn - I always think of @JenEm with this technique so glad she was in there!

This is one of mine from recently- it's not exactly a zoom for detail crop of my daughter in the smaller pic but same idea (she's either trying to avoid being photographed or wanting to be the centre of attention or something - it's all or nothing so ya gotta roll with it)
    [​IMG]
    And an older one with more of a blend to keep the context of the photo but focus on the happy :)
    [​IMG]

JenEm and jenn mccabe like this.
  20. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

This is one I did recently... it isn’t a technique I have used often, but one I want to use more.

[​IMG]

jenn mccabe likes this.