Why do you MOC?

Discussion in 'Month of Challenges Nine - 2021' started by mrs2a50, Jan 2, 2021.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

For the challenge primarily but if I got the gift voucher that would be a bonus

2. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

It is definitely not for the $20 gift certificate that I take part.
    I really enjoy the inspiration and the stretching of skills to take part in each challenge. I also like some of the extra contact with others during this month in helping and leaving some love in the gallery etc.

Karen and cfile like this.
  3. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

This is my 9th year participating, 8th year having completed (@AnneofAlamo :) ) and this is my 3rd year participating/hosting as a Polly....

The first year I did MOC for the GC and the challenges, but after doing that first year, I realized it was so much more. It was the 31 days of challenges. Some I will admit at the time I was scared of, and was not going to be a fan of. Art Journaling??? Who wants to do that I thought... and VOILA it got me hooked on something different. Something that without the MOC, I do not even think I would have dabbled in, AND I liked it. Then there was a double page. I did not scrap that big and low and behold, I started to like that too. The challenges did get me out of my comfort zone, and I did indeed learn new techniques that I still use today. It is not just about scrapping pages for me, it is also the camaraderie of all of us participating in the challenges together. I have made some great friends from that first MOC!!!

Bring on MOC 9 !!! :circles

4. Annsofie

Annsofie Crime Books & Cozy Nooks

I tried to do MOC two years ago but I was to scared of showing my layouts because I didn’t think they were good enough and I had a hard time understanding all the forum things. Then I became a member of Sahin Designs creative team and was forced to learn how to navigate in the forum and from there everything has evolved. I did complete my first MOC last year and I admit, I started it for the gift certificate, but when I had finished the 30 challenges I was so proud of myself that I actually finished. I had the best of times and it made me go outside my comfort zone and try out mixed media/Art journaling which I love now. This year I’m participating just for fun and challenge myself, love this community and all the cheering in the gallery!

Skivvy and SeattleSheri like this.
  5. wendy85

wendy85 Doin' a little chair dance here at my desk

First I started for the $20 and pollywog spot. wich I really won the second round of MOC.

But for now years later and not a polly anymore I do it just for the fun of it to scrap some and have a scrappy start of the year. Not even for anything else since I don't scrap as much anymore as I used to do years ago. Since a few years I can't managed to do all challenges so it is really just for the fun.

SeattleSheri likes this.
  6. katell

katell CT - Sara Gleason

During my first MOC, years ago, it was about the 20$ certificate to be honest......BUT RIGHT NOW, and since 3 or 4 years, it's for the fun!!! january is a month so sad: bad weather, mud everywhere, days too short....i'm happy to participate and change my mind on january!!!
    And i secretly (not anymore...secret !lol) hope to be chosen for the POLLY's :clap

7. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I think I was first attracted, in 2016, because I was trying to get back into scrapping after a near-hiatus. The prior few years I'd been focused on studying photography and barely scrapped. Like only about 30 pages over three years. Also, I was looking for a new digiscrap forum and I loved how active and fun this one is.

I've continued doing MOC every year because the challenges are creative and, just as it sounds you intended, it gets me back into a scrapping habit, which sometimes slips when life gets busy or my inspiration wanes.

The $20 is definitely a factor for me. I have financial struggles. But I'd still participate without it. I might just not do ALL 31 challenges then.

I could make a scrapbook page about this! :lol But I had to write this quickly before heading out for work.

Thank you for all the wonderful fun TLP provides! In my Why I Scrap layout yesterday, I should have included the scrapping community online is another reason. Even though I have been scrapping since the 1980's, I definitely do it more and better because of our online community. Plus I have friends here! :love

keepscrappin likes this.
  8. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

First year (2017) I did it for the GC. Next 3 years for the GC and Polly spot. This year it's just for fun. I don't "need" the money (I spend way more, and have tons of unused kits), and now I know I'm not Polly material. But I love waking up to a new challenge each morning, thinking about it all day, and scrapping around 9 pm when my free time starts. It's an awesome way to start the new year.

9. Ga_L

Ga_L Well-Known Member

the first year, I wasn't sure to finish all the 31 challenges. but as a scrap'addict I finished them and was very happy to have learned new techniques and have tried some things that I've never done before. Since, I try more.
    The $20 GC is a great gift after all the challenges and it's a great goal for the first years. but now, I love to be chosen as a Polly. I remember the amazing month I spend during a summer when I was a guest Polly. This was so amazing that I would love to be on the pad all the time.
    And an other thing, during the MOC this is special, there are so many beauties in the galley, I meet (in vitual) so many amazing scrappers. thanks for that and the last thing I love is when designers take part of the MOC.

keepscrappin likes this.
  10. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I love MOC for the push to get me scrapping every day and I really love the push out of my comfort zone to try new things. I love to learn, so I especially love when my fellow Pollys come up with something fun and new for me to try. AND... I love collecting the little check marks saying I finished another year of all 31 challenges! :agree

11. chastml

chastml Shock me, Sinead O'Rebellion

I don't scrap much in December. Life is just too busy! So, to have a whole month dedicated to new challenges and making layouts for my albums right at the beginning of a new year is just perfect timing for me. I get to stretch myself creatively, make a dent in my backlog, and scrap about myself some. The GC is a nice bonus, the Pollywog spot would be a dream, but I do MOC for fun and as a creative gift to myself.

12. tw1717

tw1717 Pretty in Pink

Since I make digital scrapbooks for my kids that they receive each december, the MOC is my jumpstart on some of their pages! Not all the 31 challenges work for their book but a lot do...plus I get to step out of my comfort zone on some of these challenges and learn new things!

13. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

@mrs2a50 Thanks for sharing the history behind MOC! I'm not surprised you were the mastermind!! :heartlub

For me, I love MOC because of the sense of community, I love how active the forum and gallery are and getting to know people and see their interpretations of the challenges. It's all very inspiring. I also really love hosting a challenge and making challenge layouts! :heartlub:heartlub:heartlub

14. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I don’t necessarily need a challenge to get me to do something outside my comfort zone although it is fun, what I love about MOC is the joy of starting the year off to a fun start. I used to get the blues in January but once I started participating in MOC I realized that I now look forward to January, not just for myself but also my scrap buddies, I love to see what they come up with.

15. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

I love the challenges, there's always something new and fun to learn, some pages become a favorite! I completed 3 MOCs and I hope to finish MOC 9 too!
    the GC is an interesting factor, but for me, now, the main reason I stayed is really about the friendly community and a chance of being a Polly or a guest is a bonus too!

keepscrappin likes this.
  16. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I love the challenges that teach me new skills and help me document more memories at the same time! I really adore all the activity and interaction in the forum . . . meeting new scrappy friends and getting to know everyone a little bit more each year. It's definitely a great way to start the year!

AJK likes this.
  17. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

I love how busy and fun the forum is during January, even more so than the rest of the year. I love all the challenges that make me think outside the box. Some of the pages I've created for them in the past are some of my favourite pages ever. I've only managed to finish MOC once before as we're often away in January, but I still love to take part and make as many pages as I can whenever we are around.

18. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Why? Just for fun!!! I don't care this time about the GC, so if I miss something it isn't an issue- just enjoying the fun this time around!

chastml likes this.
  19. Amson

Amson Yoo-hoo!

I love the challenges to start off my creativity for the new year. I barely scrapped last year so this year I am so happy to join in and just try to do as many pages as possible.

20. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

I participate in MOC because I love the chalkenge, I love learning new things, and I love the feeling of accomplishment when it's over. The gift card is a huge bonus!

SeattleSheri likes this.