Who makes 9x12 pocket pages & albums?

Discussion in 'Project Life/365/52' started by MelanieB, Feb 17, 2015.

1. MelanieB

MelanieB Well-Known Member

I really like the 9x12 size that I see some pocket scrappers using this year & I think it would be great for documenting some of the countries & cities I've spent a lot of time in.

I know that Studio Calico makes lovely 9x12 pocket pages & albums, but does any other brand make them? I'm hesitant to start with Studio Calico. Their 4-ring system means I'll be limited to using just their pages.

The other option is to cut down Becky Higgins Design F & Design U pages, but it doesn't look like Design U is sold individually.

Any info about 9x12 pocket pages is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

2. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

I haven't seen this size before, but I'd definitely be interested, too.

3. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

That does seem like a really smart size! It's not as big as 12x12 but would still have the same aspect ratio (3x4 and 4x6) as all the other PL stuff so everything would fit. Seems like that size would fit on a regular bookshelf so much better too!

4. carolee

carolee Humming along in the Neil mobile

I think SC is the only one making them so far. Last year, some people cut up their 12x12 Becky Higgins ones and stitched up the ends to get the same result. That is an option if you have a sewing machine.

5. MelanieB

^This!!! I also have a lot of papers and pamphlets and such from my travels in Europe, but I haven't been able to figure out what to do with them. European paper size is slightly longer than American paper size, so I couldn't use the 8.5x11 books. The 9x12 books are perfect!!!

I joined Studio Calico just for the 9x12 albums! A few people in the forum confirmed that the holes in the Becky Higgins pages match up with two of the rings in the SC album, so I just have to punch two extra holes. I can cut down the Design F pages to use as well.

I am seriously considering buying a sewing machine made for kids just so I can do fun things with pockets!!!

I think I'm going to go ahead with this size.

6. lorryfach

IKEA makes sewing machines that are cheap but actually pretty decent, if you're in the market. :)

7. MelanieB

I will look into that, Lorry!!! All I need is something I can use to stitch pockets! I'm not even going to pretend I'll use it to sew anything else!

8. lorryfach

I am definitely not a seamstress but I am too cheap to pay someone else to do something simple like a half-falling-out hem :giggle so I do love my IKEA SY even if I hardly ever bust it out. It could definitely do pockets!

9. gracielou

gracielou Well-Known Member

I just ordered an album and 3 sets of pocket protectors from SC. I really wish the stores carried them so I could use a coupon and so I could hold it in my hand. I am still having a hard time wrapping my head around the size , even though I was a 12x12 scrapper for years. I have done 8.5x11 this year because I needed something smaller. I really do not like my old 12x12 albums. They are such a pain to store. I have loved the 8.5x11 size but I hate how I have to resize everything "pocket scrapping" related. I am looking forward to being able to work with the traditional project life stuff. I am still a little nervous about the size but excited to give it a try.

10. mrspotts

mrspotts Could I get a planner for my planner?

I think and I could be wrong on this but one of the designers at Studio Calico first came up with the idea. She actually cut down one of her albums because they weren't sold anywhere. Obviously Studio Calico picked up the idea. If you are still looking into sewing you pages don't buy a kiddie machine. They are worthless. They probably would damage your page.

11. MelanieB

I can't wait to see your 9x12 pages in the gallery, Amanda! I haven't started any 9x12 albums yet but I really love the size. I hear you on wishing I could see them in a store. I have to order a lot of things over the internet as my Michael's is so unreliable & there are no other local scrapbooking/craft stores.

Thanks for the tip about the kiddie sewing machines, Jewelle! Even the starter machines made by some of the well-known manufacturers? I briefly looked at Toys'R'Us but they didn't have anything, only a strange device that was a sewing machine but without any thread. I haven't had a chance to look at anything else yet.

12. sm_amber

sm_amber I learn from the best..

13. MelanieB

14. mrspotts

mrspotts Could I get a planner for my planner?

Nothing that is marketed as a toy would be a good idea. You can get a cheaper one at Walmart or target that are name brands. They are aimed for adults but are definetly not a toy. I think they run in the ballpark of $60. I can't remember for sure because it was awhile ago that I looked at them for my own daughter.

15. gracielou

I received my album and page protectors today. I love the size. I am so excited to work with it. I will be finishing up my current album with April. I do feel like the album is made on the cheap side. I do not like how the material doesn't seem to be well made on the spine. I definitely feel it could use some improvement, especially at $30 a book.

16. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

I love the idea of scrapping smaller size! I actually started a smaller sized book for DYD last year, but quickly found it is going to be hard to find somewhere to print it digitally, since I print bound books. I stopped until I figured out a solution, which I've not done yet. :giggle

Glad you like the page size Amanda. Can't wait to see your stuff!

17. lorryfach

Adoramapix does 10x10 and 9x12 books. Shutterfly does 10x10 and 8x11 books. Blurb does 10x8. Persnickety does 8x11. Plenty of options for those of us that prefer smaller!

18. awesomegabi

awesomegabi Member

Before I ordered my 9x12 from studio calico, I bought a regular American Crafts 12x12 album (one that wasn't leather bound, but a chipboard type material that I could decorate) and I cut it myself. I lightly sanded/filed down the edges for a smooth finish and then added some washi tape on the edge. Those have 3 rings so you wouldn't have to worry about punching holes.

I love the size, i tried a 6x12 (loved it too) but it wasn't going to be enough space. Also the fuse tool has been a lifesaver when working with such an odd size.

19. awesomegabi

awesomegabi Member

I'm glad it wasn't just me. The one from SC is so cheap feeling that I hate working with it... I will probably return to cutting down 12x12 albums unless they fix the flimsy material they use.

20. gracielou

I have a fuse tool on the way. I love the possibilities with it and I can definitely see where it's going to come in handy with the 9x12 size.