Who are you?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by frani_54, Oct 30, 2018.

1. frani_54

frani_54 Well-Known Member

I was looking through the gallery this morning and realized that through your layouts I've come to know a little bit about who you are and what it is you like, for the most part family is what drives you.

Growing up I didn't have many pictures to view, we moved alot so what little pictures we did have got lost in the shuffle, so now I'm the one that takes all the pictures and love looking back and remembering. My goal is to record our family and what they were like for future generations.

Do you post layouts that come from your heart, do you share your high and lows, are you strictly just creating a layout for arts sake, or are you recording life for you and your family and future generations to tell them "Who you were, and where you came from"?

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  2. kayjaydo

kayjaydo Keeping my feet firmly on the ground

That's a good question, I love that so many are making albums of their life for the future generations, and I suppose in a way I am too, but for me scrapping is a way of relaxing, and so I don't put pressure on me to get albums made or to "keep up" I love doing the challenges and all layouts are personal, but it is all without any kind of pressure!
    I found scrapping back in 2007 when my Mum was in hospital with lung cancer (she is one of the .4% of lung cancer survivors!) and it really really helped take my mind off any negative thoughts, and now I have teenagers, it takes my mind off of their moods!

What I do do for future generations every year I make a photo book with all our best memories in it (every day ones and special ones) those are proudly displayed and I often catch the kids or DH just picking them up and browsing, that makes my heart melt, cause that was what I made them for! But there are no scrapping pages in their. Although for 2018 I intend to add my layout of all my MOC layouts for January, cause that was a HUGE part of my January!

bestcee and frani_54 like this.
  3. EHStudios

EHStudios I am more clever than I think

Most of mine are making art simply for me. Lighthearted & easy & just making art because it relaxes me or makes me completely happy. But if anyone cared to look close or read some of the journaling ones, I think they'd have a pretty good idea of Who I Am or a peek in my head. When I'm brave enough.

bestcee and frani_54 like this.
  4. frani_54

I totally agree, it is a way to relax for me as well.

5. frani_54

Love the art aspect as well, if you look at my gallery there is more artsy layouts than clean. But I do find ways to say what is on my mind on most of them.

bestcee likes this.
  6. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I scrap for all of the above reasons. For me, my family, for arts sake, for journaling moments in our family life, to remember the little moments and thoughts. That's what I love about scrapping, you can do whatever you want, and what you want can change from day to day. I find scrapping very therapeutic, releasing my thoughts/ideas onto a page.

bestcee likes this.
  7. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

All of the above. I do it for all of this!!!!

8. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

For me, it's all of the above.
    First is to tell my story. Because no one else can, and I wish I knew what my grandparents and other family members thought about life. We were reading "Little House in the Big Woods" last month, and I realized how much I wish I had that story about my family. I do document the highs and lows. Sometimes I hide the journaling though because of personal details or it's not my story to share online. Sometimes I let it all out there.
    Sometimes, it's art for arts sake. Not often, but occasionally. Usually if I want to try out a new technique, the story comes last.

9. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Great question!

I am a memory keeper. I can pretend that I do it for my family and future generations, but deep down, I do it for myself and my lifelong love of looking at photos. I love to read the stories and see the photos, taking note of things that have changed. I also scrapbook because I LOVE to take photos and I've seen, first hand, what a burden photos can be if they aren't labeled and there are no stories associated with them. My grandmother had boxes and boxes of photos that my dad now has and they are fascinating to look at, but we have no clue who is in them, what they were doing and when they were taken.

I guess I'm mostly a "practical" scrapper, but I think that's mainly because I don't think of myself as very creative. I love to scrapbook and do other crafts, like crochet... but they need a purpose or I won't get anything done :-)

bestcee likes this.
  10. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

Well...I mostly do it for my kids. My husband and I don't have many pictures of ourselves as children. He was raised in a very dysfunctional family. I am one of seven children and my mom just didn't have the time to take a bunch of photos. What she did have were stolen from a storage facility when I was very young. So, I want my children to be able to look back on their lives and share their stories with their children someday.

I also scrap for myself. I find scrap therapy very therapeutic. Some of my more artsy layouts are just for me. Even though I may share them in the galleries, I don't really share them with friends and family. Some I don't share at all.

11. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

hey @frani_54
    first of all (not sure if you know me as I have been kind of away for 3 months) I LOVE your gallery.
    Then to answer your question: all of it.
    I started scrapping because I wanted to make a book for my daughter to know how great her dad was before he got ill, and scrapped 8 years of her life in 7 books, one per year until 7& 8 that I did in one book, printed them and even though I was starting and the pages aren't all that...I still treasure those books. The photos were all in paper, I took photos of them with a Nikon D40 DSLR, and from those I made the books. I still scrap those photos here a lot :)
    I did a mixture of 365 & 52 weeks in 2011 and printed it in books too, but then I came across art journal, and started scrapping a lot combining the art together with the soul searching, venting, etc... I am very open and haven't git much trouble sharing journaling...sometimes I don't make it legible when is too low or down/dark... but in general I try to keep with scrapping our photos, but also love the mixed media more to do the journaling pages, or just for the sake of artful page...
    The main thing is, it is a HUGE pain relief therapy for me. Long story short, it makes my heart lighter and happier, plus sharing our family life with scrappers in the past 10 years or so, have made me some treasurable Friendships, the kind that lasts a life time...and have met many of them in person.... so it is something very dear to my heart in every way I scrap :)

frani_54 likes this.
  12. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I am a chronological scrapper with about 150 printed pages in a family book per year. I put pages for vacation photos in their own books. I try to scrap everything that I have a picture for and sometimes do no photo pages too. Including traditional scrapping, I have scrapped the years 1999 through 2017. I have also done my childhood through high school. But I have a 20 year gap of unscrapped stuff (except for the wedding album and 1 baby album) from 1978 through 1998. I have thousands of printed pictures to sort and scrap some day. I have way too many to scan them.

I also do art journaling from time to time and everything through 2017 has been printed. I plan to print 2018 if I have enough pages to make a book.

frani_54 likes this.
  13. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I scrap just about everything - the good, the bad, and the ugly. I love to tell stories as I scrap my pages.

I, too, have very few pictures from my childhood. The first pictures that I have that include my parents are on my wedding day. That's pretty sad. But back then, taking lots of pictures just wasn't a thing. We have some pictures - maybe one or two from vacations or birthdays and holidays. That's it. I've been told that I take too many pictures, but I'd rather have too many than none at all.

frani_54 likes this.
  14. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I agree with all of the above. It's such wonderful therapy for me and if I don't get to do something artsy for a few days, I get really grumpy. Now that I'm digi scrapping, I can take my laptop with me, if I go away, and I can scrap wherever I am. I love that about digi scrapping!

frani_54 likes this.
  15. frani_54

I loved reading all the answers. Everyone has their reasons for scrapping, buy one thing we all have in common is our LOVE of scrapping.

16. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Yes, I'd say my layouts come from my heart. I mostly share highs, not lows. Probably because I'm a cheerful person and prefer focusing on good times. I record everything, both highs and lows, in my journal, but my scrapbooks are mostly happy stuff.

I'm definitely not doing it for art's sake. I've found a creative side I didn't think I had, but that's just a bonus.

I'm recording my life mostly just for me. I'd be pleased if any of my family or future generations were interested in my scrapbooks and journals, but I'm really doing it all for myself. I've just been compelled to record my life since I was 8 years old. I love to go back and read what I've written and layouts I've made, seeing how I've changed, being reminded of things. I think writing is my introverted way of thinking things through. And photography captures moments, many of which would otherwise disappear, forgotten.

You can probably see why I almost never make a page without journaling. :)

frani_54 likes this.
  17. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

For the most part, it's for my kids. I see how much they love each and every family album we have. If I had more time I probably would be a little more creative and do it more for the artsy/creative side. I'll still sneak in just some "fun" pages every once in a while.

frani_54 likes this.
  18. frani_54

WOW I love that you can go back that far and read your journaling. I bet you've seen a lot of changes in your thought process through the years.

19. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I love the thought of my pages/albums being enjoyed by my family and friends. But...I don't think I scrap "for them." I already do a lot for them. :giggle Scrapping is for me. Knowing my family loves looking at my albums is a wonderful perk of the process, for sure. ETA: I should mention that the creative side of scrapping makes me happy. That alone is enough for me to do it. :)

I do think that we don't write anything down anymore. We take digital photos and we text/email, but we don't have physical copies of our daily lives. So this is my way of making sure that info is out there, even if it's only for me.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    frani_54 likes this.
  20. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

My layouts come from my creative heart, and are mostly good moments. Maybe a cranky layout here or there. I may scrap a photo and tell the downs in my journaling, but you might not realize it. Occasionally, my reflective thoughts might end up on a page, but then it's more my worries and thoughts of the future for my kids. I used to ONLY scrap double layouts for albums, but realized that I need the creative outlet, and I didn't want to just create doubles or just album pages. So, they are varied now.

frani_54 and Tree City like this.