Where You Call Home | Pad Patter 11.30

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by LoveItScrapIt, Nov 30, 2022.

1. jagruti patel

jagruti patel Me love cookies! Yum! Yum!

Toronto! And I love it! Been here my whole life!

Memaw2Wm and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  2. elseepe

elseepe I'll follow the sun

That is where I grew up, I miss it a little -- mostly the beach and still consider it home even though I haven't been back in a really long time.

3. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I grew up in San Diego, then lived 5 years in Los Angeles, then moved to Fredericksburg, Virginia, where I've lived for 22 years now. When we moved across the country, my husband promised me we'd return frequently, and I often said, "You can take me out of California but you can't take California out of me."

We did return frequently for the first decade, but then travel got so expensive, and in the second decade we've only been back a few times. While I will always identify as "third generation native of San Diego" because my mom and her mom were also born there, it has felt less and less like home each time I visit, and Fredericksburg very much feels like home. I feel that at home feeling here.

However, I'm very much open to living elsewhere, and in fact, my husband and I both want to live in a more urban walkable area like we did for our last 4 years in Los Angeles. He has been intermittently searching widely for a different job and with our kids launching from the nest in the next few years, we could end up somewhere faraway from here.

LoveItScrapIt and elseepe like this.
  4. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

This is home...southern WV. I was born and raised here. We lived in southwestern VA for a couple of years, Atlanta for a couple of years, and I lived in eastern VA during college. But most of my life has been right here.

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  5. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I was born in Florida and lived there until I was 27. And after we moved to NC I don't think I have ever referred to FL as home. Western NC is what I call home and have for 15 years now.

6. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I've lived in Michigan my whole life, so yep, that's home. I can't imagine moving anywhere else either.

7. KayTeaPea

KayTeaPea I carried a watermelon

I was born and raised in two small towns in Alabama- Hartselle until I was 14, then Jasper for high school. Went to college in a tiny town in Alabama- Marion (home of Coretta Scott King, population less than 5000). Got married and lived in Pensacola,FL for 6 months, then Norfolk/Chesapeake, VA for 5 years, Alexandria (NoVA) for 8 months, Fredericksburg, VA for 4 years and then back to Alabama- Huntsville area this time- where we have lived for almost 16 years. I consider Alabama home although I miss Virginia at times- I loved the historical relevence there in Fredericksburg where George Washington grew up and there were both Revolutionary and Civil War Battlefields nearby. I also miss the yearly snow we usually got in Fredericksburg- here in the Huntsville AL area we rarely get snow and the summers are brutally hot/humid.

8. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

I've been in Northern Virginia for 24 years, but my parents still live in the same house in Connecticut that we moved into when I was 5. They're both home.

9. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I call home Auckland, New Zealand as I was born and bred here though I wouldn't necessarily call it "home"especially the area I live in now for a number of reasons. If I could move easily I would and hope to as soon as I have a full time job

10. scribler

scribler Blanket? Check! Slippers? Check! Sweater? Che

I've been in Florida for over 20 years and up until recently I would have said it was the place I called home. Now, I wish I could move. I am a native Texan and grew up in SE New Mexico but don't consider those home for sure. Don't really have a good answer right now.

11. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

I was born in Washington D.C. and raised in Maryland. So that area always has a "home" vibe to me. But the Metro area changes so much and so rapidly, I would not recognize it any longer.

I am currently in Missouri. I am happy here. But I still feel a bit like an out-of-stater. I think I am at a point where I will call Earth home. :cloud9

12. Becca Bonneville

Becca Bonneville Oh my God Becky

I am a born and raised Army brat. I was born in Fayetteville, NC (dad was stationed at Fort Bragg) and after we lived there for some years we moved all over the US and the world. Our family (both mom and dad's sides) is from Vicksburg, Mississippi and we all feel like that is home. But I have lived in southern Illinois now for a long time so as much as I would hate to say it, haha, this area is home now too.

13. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

I love that tooo!!!!

14. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

I was born in DC too, as were my kids, along with my father and his mother. I was born at Columbia Hospital for Women (now closed) and my kids at the old Walter Reed Army Medical Center campus in DC ... WRAMC merged with Bethesda Naval Hospital in 2011 and is now called the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center. WRMMC is located in Bethesda, Maryland. I came home to Virginia though.

15. ArmyGrl

I wonder what has happened to the old WRMMC buildings?

Virginia is such a beautiful state. I lived across the Potomac River, in the vicinity of Ft. Washington Park...and always looked across the river at Virginia. Gosh, I'm missing the East Coast right now. :beat I loved the history and old world vibe some places had, old historic towns and parks.

16. Memaw2Wm

ArmyGrl likes this.
  17. ArmyGrl

@Memaw2Wm Thank you! That was a good read! 24 years in the military myself, medical too, and I never made it back to the east coast. Not complaining....always wanted to travel. But, I've been kinda stuck in Middle America - ha!

18. Memaw2Wm

We only did 6-ish years and were stationed in Kaiserslautern, Germany, then at Fort Meade, Maryland.

19. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

I live in Belgium ... it's a small country ... I love it here ...

20. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

Queensland, Australia is where I call home. We moved back to this state earlier this year. I was born in this state so I am happy to be back.