What's up? | Pad Patter 10.20

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Oct 20, 2019.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

It's been a pretty blah weekend around here. My son, who has been in TX on pre-deployment with the Army officially leaves for overseas tomorrow :( and I found out last night that two of my former students were hit by a car crossing a highway, one is in pretty critical condition. So, I'm feeling a little bummed today. I did keep my granddaughter last night which was a great distraction, but it's just one of those days, kwim? It's also rainy and just, well, blah. I'm going to try to distract myself with some scrapping and a scary movie with the youngest a bit later.

I'm kind of at a loss with chatty things, so what have you all got going on today and for the upcoming week?

2. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Well we have had a day of torrential rain, which is really a good thing round here after our months without any rain, but it meant that our trip out to lunch with friends went by car and not their boat. Power boats don't excite me and sail boats are too much work so I was just as happy to be in the car - comfy & dry.

And today I said Ok, today's the day. Turn on our gas Jotul (which is not the Jotul brand but a Jotul was the first one we ever had so that name is kinda like Kleenex for tissues for me...)

[​IMG]

IntenseMagic likes this.
  3. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Jan, I'm so sorry about your former students.

I'm trying to complete my Iceland '18 trip album to have it ready to be printed for the next big printing sale. I don't know why, but when I scrap the first 3/4 of the album comes together fast, then it drags on and on and on... I feel I've been working on the last part (proofreading, formatting, etc.) for weeks. But I'm almost there! Two more pages to scrap and three pages to journal before I do the last check on everything. I'll be so happy when I'm done!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  4. Christina W

Christina W Well-Known Member

@IntenseMagic I'm very sorry to hear about your students. And having your son deploy must be really tough; I hope he is going to be somewhere safe.

I spent most of the weekend working on editing jobs and up-loaded the last manuscript to a slooooooow server in China this morning. Then I celebrated (and gave my typing hands a break) by hiking with my husband to a local waterfall. It was such a glorious fall day here in South Carolina, and I really needed a dose of nature.

@QuiltyMom I hear you. I have been stuck a little over half-way through my Lake District album for, well, years. I don't know why that happens!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  5. Sara

Sara Riding in the Neil mobile

aw @IntenseMagic I'm sorry you're having one of those weekends where life feels especially heavy with sad news and transitions...that makes for a big pile of anxiety and blah. Lifting prayers for your former students and wishing them recovery to full wellness after the accident. And praying safety for your son as he deploys and peace for your mama heart. :beat

@QuiltyMom you're in the home stretch now! All the best as you wrap it up!

@cookingmylife that Jotul looks like it makes for a nice bit of cozy

@Christina W congratulations on your manuscript!! Sounds like a beautiful day all around!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  6. IntenseMagic

I have one really similar to that. I turned it on for the first time the other day. I broke down this weekend and turned the heat on ever so slightly because my house was so cold, but I am so not ready for winter heating bills lol

7. IntenseMagic

Thanks! One is expected to be ok, the other is still iffy at this point.
    I'm the same when working on an album. It's like I'm all in to it and then it just starts to drag. Good luck!!

8. IntenseMagic

Thank you. We are not sure where he will be exactly at this time. The military likes to keep their secrets. I've never been one to wish my life away, but this is the one year I'm making an exception.
    Ohhh the hiking trip sounds lovely! I could use one of those! I love SC and I'm hoping for a little getaway that direction soon!!

Christina W likes this.
  9. IntenseMagic

Thank you, Sara! It is really such a heavy day. I just got off the phone with my son and it is really hard not knowing when I'll get to talk to him again. Thank you so much for your prayers!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    Sara likes this.
  10. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Was just going to be the usual non eventful week here til I got a phone call inviting me to a job interview on Friday so now it’s a mad rush to line up accomodation (booked) and travel (still working on that one) plus get my haircut before I head away on Thursday. Was hoping I’d have a bit more time to sort things out but I can’t be too picky.

BevG and IntenseMagic like this.
  11. IntenseMagic

Good luck getting everything together and best of luck to you in the interview!! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed!!

12. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I'm kind of dreading this week. On Saturday, my husband leaves for 5 and 1/2 months. He's going back to Pittsburgh to finish up his final year of coaching his high school swim team. (A brand new school with a brand new pool that he helped design. He's been the coach for 21 years and the team never had its own pool until now) We knew this was going to happen when we moved to Florida in August, but now it's real. So we're trying to do all kinds of things before he goes - shopping, packing, visiting, walking the beach.

I've always said I want to be alone, but do I really? Not for 5 and 1/2 months anyway.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  13. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Jan, my heart hurts for your students. That must be tough for the community, and I pray you (and all the teachers/admin) have strength tomorrow at school as I'm sure current students know the two who were hurt. As for your son, thank you for his service, but I can only imagine what you're feeling. I hope you got to relax tonight and just turn your brain off for awhile! :happyhug

IntenseMagic likes this.
  14. IntenseMagic

I totally understand. I wish for time alone often, but 5 1/2 months is a pretty long time. Will he be able to come home any at all during that time?

15. IntenseMagic

Thanks, Sara. I expect tomorrow to be a tough day. Many of my students have difficulty processing things on a regular basis, so I know this will be tough. I'm sure they will all need a little TLC. The girl, who is the most serious condition, just graduated in June so most all of the students know her.
    So far I've watched a movie and I'm currently going back and forth between The Walking Dead and football while hanging out here...so I'm at least keeping my mind occupied lol

Tree City likes this.
  16. busywoman139

busywoman139 Wish and hope and ... poof! There it is!

Some of you are definitely dealing with some heavy stuff!! I'll be sure to include you in my prayers. I'll share some complete randomness :)
    • I (finally!!) started listening to Born A Crime by Trevor Noah on audio - I'm on chapter 4 and it's amazing/unreal!
    • These sweats and this sweatshirt from Aerie are incredibly soft and comfy!! I got them last Saturday and have pretty much worn them since then (when I'm home, not to work :) )
    • Our desktop PC started having issues a while back so we're using my laptop as our main computer now. In order to still use our two very large monitors, we got this "hub" and it's working out fantastically! Then, we found out that you can buy housing that internal drives plug into that essentially turn them into external hard drives. I love technology!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  17. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Thanks, normally I’d be sweet but this time it’s just made more complicated by the fact a) it’s leading into a holiday weekend where travel costs are more $$$ than usual and b) the person who normally helps me financially is on vacation til later today so I have to wait to book my flights and hope the price doesn’t go up more

18. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

@IntenseMagic Oh Jan, I'm sorry to hear about your former students. I pray they are okay especially the one in critical condition and that your current student are coping okay today too. That's a rough situation. I also hope you're able to hear from your son sooner rather than later. I can imagine the waiting and not knowing is so hard. I can't even imagine!

@cookingmylife Maureen... that gas stove looks heavenly. I wish I had one in my office at work! I'm always cold in there in the fall/winter!

@QuiltyMom Jan, I know what you mean about finishing albums. At first the excitement level is high and it's like revisiting the places you've been all over again, but then... ugh... you just want to be finished and not look at the same pictures anymore! :giggle

@littlekiwi Good luck on the interview Friday Jennifer!

@djp332 Whoa! That is a long time to be apart! I always say I love to be alone too, but that is a really long time! I hope you guys will be able to visit each other at least a little bit! And... it looks like it's time for a major crafty project to keep your mind busy! Time for an online painting class or something! :giggle New book series to read of FAT books... like Outlander?

@busywoman139 oooh... those sweats look awesome! I might have to add those to my Christmas wishlist! :)

I spent the whole weekend with 13 middle schoolers on a Confirmation retreat and while it was exhausting because we were running from early morning until midnight, it was also super amazing! The retreat was in a "camp" that was more like an old school resort right on Lake Michigan in the Up North part of Michigan and we had beautiful weather (SUNSHINE and 60s). The kids were all well behaved and got along and had fun and learned a lot and we had the most amazing guest pastor that told stories so amazingly well that he kept the attention of 125+ middle school kids so well you could hear a pin drop! I can't wait to download and start scrapping all the fun pictures I took!

busywoman139 and IntenseMagic like this.
  19. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Jan, I'm keeping your son in my prayers. My brother just came back from overseas. I'm always so relieved when he comes back home!

I'm so sorry to hear about your students. It's always hard when it happens in the community, but especially those that we KNOW. ((HUGS)) and prayers for them as well!

We finally got rain as well and it was so welcome! It's overcast and rainy again today.

Do y'all always travel by boat when you go to lunch with your friends?

You are so good to plan ahead for printing your albums! How many albums have you finished now?

What type of manuscripts do you edit? And how long does one manuscript take to complete?

Good luck to you on the interview and safe travels!

I'll keep you and your hubby in my prayers while y'all are apart. That is very hard to do when you've been married and living together for so many years, even if you knew it was coming!

I want to read Trevor Noah's book, too! Glad to hear that you're enjoying it.
    I love comfy clothes, especially as the weather starts to cool off.
    And technology is amazing - I always love finding new gadgets like these!

Bless you! My eyes started hazing over when I read middle schoolers . . . not my fave age at all. LOL I'm glad someone (like you) has a heart for them!

Karen likes this.
  20. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I got ill over the weekend, and still haven't shook it off yet. TJ Toucanette has been to Paris on a school trip and got home last night. School as normal this week, then next week we have the Autumn 1/2 term break which is 1 week off school. We intend to do some family stuff that week.
    This week I've got more medical paperwork to sort out, and I'm leading 2 bible study groups. Trying to fit some crafting and scrapbooking in between resting and the housework etc.

IntenseMagic likes this.