What type of paper/supplies?

Discussion in 'Hybrid Pad' started by Kat, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

Is there any particular type of paper that's better for printing hybrid to get good colors/thickness?

Any other must have supplies?

I'm doing some watercolor painting with mine so one thing I am struggling with is a large-ish waterproof surface mat. I had a table with a glass top on it in England and it was easy/safe to let it get wet but I've been using my wood dining table lately and realized I keep going off the smaller mat I have.

2. Karen

Karen Alarm off, brunch ON

jenn mccabe likes this.
  3. Karen

Karen Alarm off, brunch ON

by the way... are you back from England?

for my messy watercolor and other splattery art stuff, I just bought a roll of kraft paper on Amazon and I roll that over my surface to catch the majority of my art messes. I work on an Ikea table top (linmon (sp?)) and I haven't looked under the paper in years to see how well my method works at stopping painting from seeping through... so I'm not sure how effective my method is.

4. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I like to print on Epson Presentation Paper Matte (usually ultra premium) but I have an Epson printer so that may be why that works well for me? Red River papers has a ton of options.

I have a small 18x18 mat/surface from EKSuccess (bought awhile ago) that I do paper/hybrid stuff on - but it is not big. The big mats are expensive! What about some wax paper or something similar to extend your surface or place under the mat you do have to protect against the water?

KatrinaHunt13 likes this.
  5. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

I am using HP Colour Laser paper with 200g/m2 which is perfect for me.

6. KatrinaHunt13

KatrinaHunt13 And *POOF* it appeared!

I use Red River paper for printing and LOVE it! I use the Linen for patterns and general printing (like you were going to buy a sheet of pattern paper) and then the Polar Matte 60lb for printing and cutting on my Cameo. It has way less dust than the Epson paper and I am a die hard Epson girl!

I have a craft mat which I can heat emboss on, it's by Ranger and nothing sticks to it. BUT I do have a self healing cutting mat that protects my surface area, because I worked too hard on making my white craft table to mess it up! LOL I think mine is 24x36 inches? I got it in the quilting area at JoAnn's and used a coupon to make it cheaper. They have 60% off coupons sometimes and I think that is what i used.

I would not recommend the folding mats. I had a smaller folding one from WeR Memory Keepers and it split and was basically worthless after about a year. I cannot imagine a bigger one that folds. That is what I am seeing on the site for this black color. I like the black, but I am also working on doing videos, so it's a good contrast color.
    Let me know if you have any other questions! 16136491ALT1.jpg

jenn mccabe likes this.
  7. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Back in the day of my hosting paper scrap crops, I used a vinyl tablecloth that was backed by flannel. Not pretty but it kept the wood dry.

jenn mccabe and KatrinaHunt13 like this.
  8. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

I have a self healing mat, mine also is just from Joann's with a coupon 35x24 but I also have a extra large one as I use it for quilting too. I think the plastic table cloth is your best bet until you can afford to get what you want.
    I also have the Ranger Craft sheet which is fantastic for stamping and embossing NOTHING sticks to it!
    a container of baby wipes to clean up messy fingers before you can get to a sink.

I just use plain cardstock that and then I prepare the surface with clear gesso for the paint.
    [​IMG]

jenn mccabe likes this.
  9. lcpereyra

lcpereyra You won't believe my blue streak!

Canon matte photo paper and Epson matte photo paper are much better at retaining color vibrancy than Michael's recollections brand cardstock. I've also been happy with Neenah solar white cardstock for printing digital elements.

I have several large self healing mats and they work well for protecting the table surface from ink, stamping, watercolors, modpodge, etc. I just had to get a new one that I am going to make sure I use *only* for cutting fabric and paper. I messed up a couple of pages recently when trying to cut things (I like to use a craft knife) because the mat I was using was just too covered with bits of stuck glue, etc and it transferred onto my photos. I really like my small silicone craft mat from Ranger, but it is a tad too small (15"x18") a letter size or 12x12 paper doesn't leave much room for my messiness. ;) I use it mostly to mix inks or for stamping on smaller cards. I just recently received the tim holtz glass craft mat but haven't had a chance to use it yet. It is a nice size.

For hybrid, really the essentials are paper, a printer, adhesive and scissors or a ruler and craft knife. :)

10. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

This is all super helpful information. I'm sorry I am late to reply, I am still not getting notifications for my subscriptions properly.

Yes, @Karen I am home! We got back in June. I've been going a bit nuts with the good supplies. The products in England are so different.

Karen and KatrinaHunt13 like this.