What to do with canned gooseberries?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by QuiltyMom, Apr 11, 2021.

1. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Amazon strikes again. I ordered a case of canned boysenberries and they sent me gooseberries instead. Of course, the boysenberries are all sold out. They’ve been hard to get.

Now I have 8 cans of gooseberries (they told me to keep them) and I don’t know what to do with them. Anyone have any ideas other than a pie? I have no idea what they taste like!

Thanks!

2. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

My neighbor grew gooseberries when I was growing up and they were extremely sour:yowza but they were wonderful in a pie.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  3. julianz

julianz Well-Known Member

I've only ever had them in a pie (pastry top and bottom) or a crumble. Sour but delicious.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  4. QuiltyMom

Well, now I know they’re sour!

I’m wondering, would they good well with rhubarb? Mine’s just coming in.

5. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I am thinking "no" -- rhubarb is rather sour too! We used to have gooseberry pies growing up. Do you make rhubarb cobbler? Maybe make a gooseberry cobbler?

Rhubarb won't grow here - summers are too hot and winters not cold enough, but we get it in the stores. I need to start looking. I love a rhubarb cobbler.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  6. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

Maybe in a smoothie?

QuiltyMom likes this.
  7. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

They are only really sour if they are picked to early. Shouldn't think the canned ones will be to bad. What were you going to do with the Boysen berries ? Maybe you can use them in a similar way. They are great in fruit salad for a kick
    and make a good addition to compote.
    Edit; just checked out my fav Danish site ; Lots of Gooseberries in Denmark. Crumble with added Cinnamon seem to be the winner. But they use it with chicken and in compotes too. ( you are from Sweden I think go on Scandinavain sites for ideas.. )

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    QuiltyMom likes this.
  8. QuiltyMom

Oh, thanks for this. My husband opened a can just to taste them (!) so now I have to do something with it. He said hey were pretty tart. I was going to make pie and other baked goods with the boysenberries for they’re my absolute favorite fruit. They have such an amazing flavor! I’ve contacted Knott’s Berry Farm in California even to see if I can find them that way. Everyone seems to be out of them across the nation, or they just don’t stock them.

Nemla likes this.
  9. QuiltyMom

Okay. Don’t mix with rhubarb! Lol! I guess that would’ve been a shocker to eat!

10. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I don't think I've ever had a gooseberry or a boysenberry.... I need to google.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  11. QuiltyMom

Boysenberries are amazing! They're a cross between a blackberry, loganberry and raspberry. It was developed by Walter Knott of Knott's Berry Farm fame. I grew up going to Knott's and boysenberry pie is AMAZING! The jam, too. My mom would save the berries from our plants and make me a birthday pie every year. I have plants but not enough space to grow a significant amount to do anything with other than snack on them. Unfortunately it's next to impossible to get their products on the east coast so I stock up when I go to California.

12. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I've never had either kind of berry either. If they are sour, slather them in something really sugary. :giggle

13. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

me either. although i've heard boysenberry shakes are amazing. honestly - i din't even know gooseberries were a thing let alone something that was edible!

Karen likes this.