What printer do you use for journal cards / hybrid elements?

Discussion in 'Project Life/365/52' started by MelanieB, Oct 22, 2014.

1. MelanieB

MelanieB Well-Known Member

Hello everyone!

A question for those of you doing hybrid: how do you print out your journal cards (or other hybrid elements)? Do you have your own printer? What kind of paper do you use?

For the last year & a half that I've been doing PL, I have sent all my stuff to Staples to be printed out. It's worked alright, although sometimes funky stuff happens, like faded colours or everything being enlarged, and then it's a pain.

I'd really like to have my own printer here at home. Do you use the same printer for printing photos & journal cards? I have my own Selphy printer, and I don't mind taking photos to Black's or Costo, so I guess what I'm really looking for is a regular colour printer.

Thank you for any information you can provide!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  2. sushimommy

sushimommy Could you point me to the helipad?

I have an epson printer (similar to this) and usually use the epson presentation paper with it when i print journaling cards/hybrid bits, etc. i use it from photoshop and from my silhouette software. I print a LOT and have gone back to epson 3 printers in a row (over about 10 years).

I do print (most of) my photos from it as well, and use the app on my iphone to make my project life collage photos (2 on one piece of 4x6 photo paper) and send it to the printer from the phone via wi-fi.

3. sarahbhb

sarahbhb Happy Anniversary babe! Now, pack up!

I have an Epson Workforce that I use for everything (including everyday printing) and I print on Neenah bright white cardstock. I'm pretty happy with the results.

[​IMG]

I had an HP Photosmart that I used exclusively for crafting until it died a few months ago. It was a little brighter and more crisp, but honestly for the space it took up and the fact that it was only really noticeable when you held prints from the two side by side, I decided it wasn't worth replacing it (plus they don't make printers that use those same ink cartridges anymore so no guarantee I'd end up with the same results from a different printer).

4. Peppermint

Peppermint One Little Bird

I have a Canon Pixma MG5220 (it's an old model). I print journaling cards on 4x6 Canon Matte Photo paper, and photos on Costco 4x6 photo paper OR Epson Ultra Premium 4x6 glossy. The Costco paper is less expensive so I've been gravitating towards that. I also keep Costco 8.5x11" glossy photo paper around (for 6x8 prints or photo collages) and 8.5x11" Epson Matte Presentation Paper (for Silhouette print and cut, mainly). I'm not together enough to send things out to be printed. I tend to work 1-2 pockets at a time and that's all my brain can handle.

5. heathergw

heathergw Singing in the Neil mobile

another Canon PIXMA owner... I have an even older one than Peppermint's... I want to upgrade but this thing won't die... and still gives me awesome prints.

I just use Neenah Bright White cardstock for printing on and have been super happy with the quality... Everything I do is hybrid so you can just click on my gallery to see.

6. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

Ditto on the PIXMA. I love, love, love mine. I will say, however, that it really makes a difference what cardstock/paper you use. I spend extra $$ on good bright white quality cardstock and am much happier with the results.

7. MelanieB

Thank you so so much for all this information! This is awesome & it really helps me. I've been on the internet tonight checking out the Epsons & Canon Pixmas recommended, and the prices are all reasonable. So what I understand from all this is that you use the same printer for photos & journal cards, but change the paper. And you can use cardstock / presentation paper with the Silhouette (this is the next step!).

:heartslub

8. Peppermint

Peppermint One Little Bird

Right?! I want one of the new ones - in white to match everything else in my office. But this Pixma is indestructible. My husband has one circa 2001 down in his office that's still going strong, too. It's to the point where it might "accidentally" fall off the shelf. (Probably would still work, though)

9. Trista

Trista I'm Working On It

Another Pixma owner and I too agree that the paper makes all the difference. Depending on what I am printing I will use a premium bright white cardstock.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  10. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I just received a Canon Pixma (MG7120 I think) for my birthday in August and so far I love it. I got the white one and it's so pretty and more importantly, I love the prints! The 4x6 photos are amazing! I haven't done a ton with the cardstock and printing journaling cards, but I've been happy with the few things I have printed so far. The interface is super cool and easy to use. It has a touch screen along the top that doesn't seem like it should work since it's part of the white top, but it does and is pretty darn cool.

11. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

Yep. I use cardstock in my Silhouette. You just have to adjust the blade height. Honestly, though, I find it faster and easier to cut by hand most of the time. (or with a paper cutter for my JC)

12. Trista

Trista I'm Working On It

Tee hee hee... I use the cameo all the time for little things that I print and cut, but for journal cards I prefer to print and cut with the paper trimmer bc I don't really care for the rounded corners anyway.

13. heathergw

heathergw Singing in the Neil mobile

LOL... it will still work :p Trust me... with how the boys beat up my stuff all the time and knock it with the furniture... it still is alive and kicking... one time I actually got excited because it wasn't feeding the cardstock through and thought that meant I could upgrade... nope, hubby found a LEGO stuck in there, sigh... one day LOL

14. editorialdragon

editorialdragon editorialdragon

I have the Epson workforce 520, works great for all my regular and hybrid printing needs (I do a lot of copying/printing for homeschooling too), although I haven't tried photos on it yet. I have a little portable photo printer or I send pics to Walgreens, etc depending on how impatient I am and whether I have ink or not lol.

15. lizj

lizj Active Member

Another vote for Canon. I have a wide format 9000, and I print everything from acetate to thick card stock in it (and yes, you can cut the card stock with the Silhouette too). I use Staples double sided matte for almost all print jobs, photos or otherwise, I like the quality and it's cheap. You do want to use the maker's ink though, I would not skimp on the ink quality.

I had the absolute, hands-down worst customer service of a lifetime from HP before I got my first Canon. They sent me a used, broken very expensive wide-format printer, alleging it was new (it was obvious that it wasn't new, it had been returned and they just shipped it out again -- to a new customer, me!). I wouldn't buy anything from HP again, ever. The worst. HTH.You will love having a versatile, good color printer at home. No wait time!

16. MelanieB

Thank you again everyone for all this information! It's really helped me better understand printing at home & it helped me make a decision!