What makes a polly candidate? Honest question. Not sour grapes.

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by redplaid3, Mar 1, 2016.

1. redplaid3

redplaid3 Just call me Zaley's Grammy!

Congrats to all the newest pollies. Have fun! What a great place to "work."

Now that MOC is over, I want to know what makes a good polly.
    I'll never be one unless it's based solely on niceness.

Just curious what criteria is used for choosing pollies. What do you think? Is it a unique style? Is it involvement in the boards? Is it a certain sales goal--sell more pocket subscriptions, so look for someone who excels at that? I've always wondered. I'm sure it's very hard to choose.

I have my own secret list of pollies I'd like to see, but obviously my criteria is different.

Curious minds want to know....

EHStudios, 3littleks, Cath_ and 4 others like this.
  2. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I heard (read) in the chat last night that they look for how much the person participates in the forum and comments on pages in the gallery. That's probably not all.

redplaid3, Cath_ and KarenB like this.
  3. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

There are so many different factors, and they can be different depending on when we're looking. Obviously, style factors in, but sometimes we're looking for a clean and simple scrapper to round out the other Pollys who have more of a filled style. Sometimes we need that filled style, or an art journaler, or whatever, so that we're representing all the different design styles. In terms of style, a lot of it depends on the make up of the Pollys at any particular time. And it's not about being an amazing, holy wow scrapper. It's about scrapping what you're passionate about and enjoying what you do.

But it's not all about scrapping. We have blogging Pollys, community Pollys, challenge Pollys,. We look for scrappers who are active in the forums in a positive, welcoming way. We look for scrappers who are active in the gallery. Scrapping at the Pad is so much more than scrapping these days, so community involvement factors in as well.

And this is why these Polly spots are so hard to pick! So many things we're looking for, and SO many scrappers who answer those criteria!

Chippi, bestcee, Lindzee and 5 others like this.
  4. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

I would definitely echo what Julie said - it's a variety of factors depending on what the team needs at that time and the role we are seeking to fill. Sometimes, it is style-based or a specific talent such as blogging, but a demonstrated love of the Pad is always a consideration! In fact, I would say that "niceness" as you termed it, Linda, absolutely does factor in as well.

When I finished going through all of the layout threads from MOC, I had a possible Polly list of 46 (yes, 46!!!) people. So, I also want to reiterate that there are always SO MANY deserving members.

JenEm, mommy2boyz, Chippi and 9 others like this.
  5. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I want to chime in;
    I did the first MOC, and practically lived here at the pad for those 31 days (and afterwards...lol) I got 3 or 4 gallery standouts that month from my peers! Seriously, I love loving up in the gallery. I was everywhere that month! I had peeps on FB and in PMs telling me I was probably gonna win! I was focused on the POLLY, focused like a razor beam!
    I did not win!
    Brenda did. She is sweet, kind and complete opposite scrapper as me. Clean and Simple. Her photos are intense and amazing! We actually got to meet in person and I consider her a good friend.
    I remember being in that chat, and this seems silly now, but my ears kinda went deaf, my tummy flipped and I was like whoa? what?
    and then I shook myself and said, no! I LOVE everyone of my pages, this place is awesome, and POLLY or not, I am creating here, this is home.
    I was graciously offered a guest spot, and took it and came into that spot with ideas, and plans and enthusiasm. I guested for about 3 or 4 months, and just squealed with delight to become permanent.

Thirty-ONE pages in 31 days! Created for my family, not just CT pages. Those pages changed how I scrapped.

now a glimpse into the back room of the Pad:
    the kindness and support is exactly like you see in the public forum
    there isn't drama, there is no mean girls/guys, there isn't any stress or guilt
    It is an eclectic and such a diverse of people who create challenges, blog posts, coordinate new and outrageous contests, come up with ideas for speed/slow scraps and art journaling that will touch your soul. It isn't ONE person, it is a group that bounce ideas off for the betterment of YOU and each other. What the POLLYs want is for ALL to push themselves to make pages they love, that tell a story, be it with no words, lots of words or just one butt kicking awesome photo!
    the Lily Pad has such a dynamic group of scrappers as the Pollys, the designers and the amazing people who pour their lives and hearts into pages and each other in the public forum and gallery. You all have the Polly heart, each one of you. Scrapping your pages and ENJOYing the process and the final results (be it printed or digital pages) is the real reason we scrap!

My chime turned into a ballad.

londoncuppa, ~Mary, Chippi and 23 others like this.
  6. sberkan

sberkan Says "yes" to new adventures...

Well, amazing job narrowing it down from 46! I have trouble when I have to narrow down 14 photos into 10!

Chippi, Pallavi01, bestcee and 3 others like this.
  7. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

With 200 finishers - and finishing being one criteria, that 46 were on the list means nearly 25% of us qualified in some way this year. Thats Happy.

8. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

I do the same... *hug*

9. AnneofAlamo

the best place to start is to pour out as much praise on others. find even the smallest thing and the return is PRicEless!
    Knowing that no matter how nice or mean (believe me I CAN be horribly mean) I am, I find a comfort in my Savior. His grace and forgiveness overflow in my heart, and I can not help to pour out the joy that is in my heart!

10. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I always wondered, too! I feel like it's inside information! I had my own list, like Linda, of who would be chosen. It didn't include me, lol! I was lucky and shocked. I feel bad and happy at the same time. I know there are loads of scrappers out there, some super beyond-my-realm talented ones, so I was not expecting this at all. Yes, we all have a hope, but in reality my hopes don't always come true. 46 is a huge number, and over 200 finishing is a huge accomplishment!

I think we all look for validation and some pats on the back for work that we think is well done. Usually for me, it's the things I don't expect to get kudos on ends up being the most rewarding, and unexpected.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
    ~Mary, Pallavi01, Karen and 3 others like this.
  11. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

Validation is a tough thing - we all want it, but we all wish we didn't. I do know that when I spend more time telling others thank you, or giving validation to others, I tend to get it back (and not necessarily from those same people). Maybe it's a karma thing? Ultimately though, I believe the only truly useful validation is what you give yourself. Unfortunately, that's way easier said than done!

Here at the Pad, I absolutely believe that every.single.person here contributes in a meaningful and validating way, whether they are a Polly or not. so each time you comment in the gallery, you are validating that person's scrapping. Every time you respond to a thread with advice, or sympathy, or even a simple "like" you are validating the poster's POV. It's amazing how much we do on a daily basis that we think doesn't matter, but it really does. And I completely understand the disappointment of the 198 scrappers here that did not get a Polly spot. And it's okay to be disappointed! But in no way does that mean that those 198 scrappers have any less value here. I know that's sappy and cheesy and corny. But it's entirely true.

12. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I think that MOC was fabulous and really enjoy creating layouts for the challenges every month.
    I always appreciate the wonderful meaningful comments on my layouts and know how much effort goes into that.
    The designers here are superb and the quality of goodies for sale and on special every week is amazing.

13. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

I do the same exact thing. I've said before that I get caught up & live my life like a game show. I want to answer the questions first, finish first, and win the game. I put so much pressure on myself to be the best. The funny thing is, I want the validation, but then don't accept compliments well. Oh well.

I don't think I'll ever be Polly material. I mean I just really figured out drop shadows last year. But, at some point I'd like a Pride of the Pad & I would have liked to win one of the $3 prizes. My punishment to myself is thinking "See, you're not even worth $3!" I know, deep psychological issues.

Anyway, thank you to those who do comment on my pages. You have NO IDEA how much it means to me.

14. AnneofAlamo

for the record, some of the daily prizes were on choices from the hosts and some were done randomly, because we too struggle with giving a prize without thinking about how it may effect those who did not receive one.

15. KarenB

KarenB I like dogs. And maybe three people.

OK. I am going to jump in here. I would love to have been chosen. BUT, as long as the people that were chosen are good and fitting choices , then I am happy! Jenn and Kelly ARE such good choices. Their pages are awesome and they radiate happiness throughout the forums. And @redplaid3 I love your work. You are a talented scrapbooker and super art journalist. I always love seeing your stuff. You are also so kind to me and I love having you here at the pad :beat

JenEm, Pallavi01, redplaid3 and 3 others like this.
  16. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

:hug hugs, hugs. @redplaid3 - your work is awesome. and I hear you. It took me almost 65 years to figure out I just have to be happy with what makes ME happy. I'm still not always there.
    And thank you for being brave enough to ask this question. When its a challenge its good to know the success criteria, and I think we all wanted to know.
    BTW You were on my list - but no one on my list was chosen either.. And I'm also glad I didn't have to choose...

KarenB and klee73010 like this.
  17. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

It's funny-strange how even I felt a little disappointed and I don't even want a spot on the team right now. I have worked on store teams and designer teams (in 2011 and 2012) so I know what's it like. I stepped down because I felt I had too much on my plate. Someday when I have more time available for it, I'd love to do it again, but not right now. So it's funny when I didn't see my name I had to remind myself that now's not the time for this anyway.

I love how active and friendly this forum and gallery are -- many are not quite as much -- and I'm proud to be part of it, even as "just" a member.

Karen, KarenB, redplaid3 and 2 others like this.
  18. AnneofAlamo

you are so much more, the pollys are one thing, but the heart of the Pad is the members, that create and share because that is who they are!! oh you are so so much more than just! you are family and a sistah in scrap! ♥

scrappyjedi, Karen, KarenB and 3 others like this.
  19. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

I struggle with the polly thing myself. I want to and I don't want to. I really like the freedom of responding to whoever I want to encourage that day without wondering if I left someone out. Maybe it's being more visible that I struggle with. I have found such joy in seeing some of the members I've met grow and also share their good times and bad. It has been harder to feel at home as the TLP family has grown but it's coming back. And I think my place to be is among the ones that have become friends and support those who are going through things in their life that I have. But I love the polly's too even the green ones.

JenEm, ~Mary, KarenB and 4 others like this.
  20. AnneofAlamo

@carilyne you woman put a smile on face so often, and the funny thing is it might be as I am in the store and pass a wonder woman poster. That is the amazing part of this community, it invades our outside world and is so real and alive! aw, I need to go nap, I start getting all misty and romanticize things. but it is pretty special here.