What is Art Journaling?

Discussion in 'Art Journaling' started by mishou, Oct 30, 2012.

1. mishou

mishou mishou

What is art journaling?

For you definition purists out there, here is the official word from dictionary.com:

n. art journal
    definition: a notebook kept by an artist as a personal record of images and sometimes words; also called an artist's journal
    example: His art journal is a special place for recording and decoding his interior world – a place to download all his creative ideas, a place to remember the events of the day, or a place to doodle, to draw, and to dream.

Not a bad definition actually! I really love their example.

Art journaling can be difficult to define because each artist uses their journal in their own personal way. The only widely accepted rule in the world of art journaling is that there are no rules.

If you dissect the term, you get:

art + words

An art journal can be any combination of those two things. Your definition of “art” and the words you choose to use (if any at all) are entirely up to you.

I think there are two reasons why we have an extra hard time defining art journaling in the scrapbooking community.

- We already use the word “journaling” to refer to the writing we do on our layouts. It can be hard to disassociate that meaning. Try not to think of art journaling the same way you think of scrapbook journaling.

- Visually speaking, there is a very fine line between scrapbooking and art journaling. Aren't our scrapbooks also a combination of art + words? Why yes, yes they are! An artist who includes memories in her art journal is scrapbooking, and a scrapper who gets super “artsy” on her pages is basically art journaling.

So how do you tell the difference!?

One good way is to look at the purpose.

By definition, a scrapbook must always contain memories or documented facts. In scrapbooking, the memory-keeping comes first. An art journal can (and often does) contain memories and facts. But it doesn't have to; it is not the primary purpose. In art journaling, the art comes first.

Art journaling is less about the finished product, and more about how you get there. It's not the destination that matters, it's the journey. Creative experimentation, art therapy, or simply the joy of creating – these are some of the many different reasons why people keep art journals. (more on this in the FAQ thread)

You might also differentiate the two by their intended audience. Scrappers are usually making their layouts for someone else. For their kids, their families, for posterity. An art journal is usually meant to be just for you.

I hope this has helped shed some light for those of you who are unfamiliar with art journaling. Check out the FAQ thread where I address common questions and misconceptions.

Personally I don't put too much stock in definitions when it comes to art. It is so personal and subjective. Why draw lines and apply labels and put things into boxes? They are stuffy and limiting and make people crazy. It goes against the spirit of art journaling which encourages openness, experimentation and most of all freedom.

What is an art journal?

An art journal is anything YOU want it to be.

If you like to art journal, leave a comment here and let us know how you define it for yourself. I'm sure it would really help out any beginners reading this to hear all the different perspectives.

What is art journaling for you?​

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  2. mpatry

mpatry New Member

I'm new to this forum though not new to digiscrapping. I am however new to art journaling.

For me art journaling is a way to try new artistic mediums and techniques. It's a way of journaling and recording these new attempts while also tying them into some sort of topic that I can actual journal about with words too. Sometimes I do the page, then go back and add the journaling later, sometimes I'll journal on some scrap of paper etc to add to an art page to be done later...

I can't wait to read through this forum section and try my hand at some more artistic expression... and combining digi into my journal too. :)

So far I'm loving stamping, including altered tags and gel pens. I looove my gel pens :D

3. mishou

mishou mishou

Gel pens are FUN! Totally agree lol!

Welcome to the pad! And thanks so much for your input! I like to go back to pages for the journaling too. I feel like writing and creating are two separate things in my brain and I don't always feel like doing one while I'm doing the other.

I like doing tags too. I usually experiment new techniques on them because it's cheaper to waste a tag than a whole sheet of paper or canvas lol One of my CT members, Melinda, makes altered tags digitally which is pretty cool too.

4. naughtsncrosses

naughtsncrosses Active Member

One of the things I love about art journaling is that it's not hung up on size or form. If you feel like making a skinny (4"wide x 8"tall) or an ATC (2.5"wide x 3.5"tall) or a fatpage (4" square) or even a regular sized notepage, then you can. You're not bound by a 12x12 canvas... you can use words, you can skip them. You can use photos, or you can skip them, too. It can be a bit overwhelming sometimes when you're starting a piece from scratch (and sometimes the size and all that blank can be intimidating)!

I, too, think it's a great place to experiment on style... paints, inks, photos, masking, misting... ah, SO fun!!!

5. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I love that statement!

6. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

I really want to try this! I love to see the art journals on Pinterest, but I think I'll start digital. it's easier and less messy for me. I always think about art journals when I see that site Postsecret, it really inspires me and I think I'll start putting my heart on a journal!

7. mishou

mishou mishou

Can't wait to see your pages Fe! And you're right - that site is pretty amazing and inspirational

8. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

Oh, thank you for this site. Yes, some of the stuff there is on the dark and personal side; however some was very humorous!