What exactly is a Traveler's Notebook?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by QuiltyMom, Jan 15, 2019.

1. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I'm late to the game, but what exactly are Traveler's Notebooks and why are they so popular? I know it's a specific size for scrapping an album (that much I was able to figure out!!). But other than that I'm basically in the dark.

Is it only hybrid, or can they be printed in book form? What draws people to this size? I'd simply like to know why people love to make them and anything else that anyone wants to add. Thanks!

2. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

Traveler's Notebooks are reusable covers (leather, pleather, or fabric) with long vertical bands of elastic inside the spine. You buy or make inserts, which are the paper notebooks that go inside the reusable cover. They slip under the elastics and are held in place by them. You can usually fit 2, 4, or 6 inserts inside the cover, depending on the number of bands.. They're very popular in the planner world and have crossed over into scrapbooking. They're smaller and quicker than traditional scrapbooks, and I think a lot of people use them less formally. In other words, they make simpler layouts that mix aspects of planning, journal-keeping, and scrapping. I personally only use TNs as a planner and as notebooks, but I love them for that!

QuiltyMom and jenn mccabe like this.
  3. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I originally was drawn to this type of notebook because I was actually going to use it to carry with me when I was traveling so that I could jot down notes as I went along... but before I dove in head first, I was honest with myself that I dont' really travel that much except for camping, so I didn't buy one. But I still felt drawn to them. THEN, Jen @jenevang did a bible journaling class that was geared for that size, so I made a fabric cover with some ribbons inside and then made my own little notebook insert. I did that to see if I'd actually use it for both the bible journaling and then I also wanted to start journaling daily (or close to daily) so that when I finally go to make a digital scrapbook page, I'd at least have more details to draw from. My memory is atrocious and I need all the help I can get.

Long story short, I did start using my own version of a traveler's notebook size journal, so then at Christmas I asked for a leather cover and some blank inserts. I absolutely ADORE it and have been journaling almost daily since.

You can also use the cool new TN sized kits digitally if you don't want to mess with printing, cutting and gluing. Just Jaimee has a digital TN template that is super cool and then you could just put stuff in there. Elif, Allison, Forever Joy and Paislee Press have quite a few cool TN sized kits and templates lately too.

https://the-lilypad.com/store/Traveler-s-Notebooks/

[​IMG]

Here's a picture of one of my recent TN journal pages. Simple, but so fun!

IMG_1593small.jpg

I bought a couple packs of planner stickers to decorate it. :)

Psychozoe, QuiltyMom, cfile and 4 others like this.
  4. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I started playing with the TN 4x8 format during Christmas in July. Then I bought a book along with some extra inserts. I actually use mine kind of like smaller versions of a scrapbook. I had all of my DYD's printed in 4x6 and put them in my book. They're just fun for me to work in - the size is very manageable and it's fun to be scrapbooking with my hands again. Some of mine are hybrid - I've printed things from and store, and some of my pages are just like paper scrapbooks. Mine are also becoming a place where I keep collectibles that will fit in my books.

mcurtt, QuiltyMom and cfile like this.
  5. michele hillam

michele hillam Loading up the bookmobile

I make my own TN pages, (mine are 4 x 8), print & spiral bind them at home. It is a fun size and a smaller, informal keepsake of my daughter's visit over the summer. I had a blast creating it and am currently almost finished with one for DYD.
    [​IMG]

QuiltyMom, cfile, jenn mccabe and 5 others like this.
  6. Cherylndesigns

I tried to add these to my last post, but it wasn't working for me. These are some of the pages I incorporated into my TN from DYD:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

staciahall, QuiltyMom, cfile and 4 others like this.
  7. Karen

Those are awesome Cheryl! I love the way you used the 4x6s printed and then have room to journal too! So clever!

And I LOVE that spiral binding @michele hillam and to be able to do that at home makes me think.... hmmm... :)

QuiltyMom, cfile and jenn mccabe like this.
  8. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Okay, all these examples make me want to play with them too!

cinna, QuiltyMom, mrs2a50 and 2 others like this.
  9. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

I love this thread. I've been a stationery-store-notebook junkie since the days when stationery stores were neighborhood mom and pop run establishments and no one had dreamed of Staples or Office Depot, or Amazon. I used to go into them just to get a "fix," even when I didn't buy anything. I am intrigued by this phenomenon, and just may have to pursue it. Thanks for this info and any more that is to come.

QuiltyMom, cfile, Karen and 1 other person like this.
  10. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

where did you get these printed and bound! I LOVE THEM!! yikes read you did it at home...lol
    what is your address! bhahhaha

11. Cherylndesigns

Thanks, Karen! They're going to be so much fun to look back at again and again.

cfile, Karen and jenn mccabe like this.
  12. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I bought a TN at Hobby Lobby over Christmas and love it because it has one insert that is a weekly planner, one that is blank pages, and one that is a bullet journal. I'm using it as my main planner and I'm using the blank pages to make like mini random layouts. For the most part, I am making the pages digitally and then printing and pasting them in the TN.

QuiltyMom, Karen and jenn mccabe like this.
  13. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

Well. I have spent most of the day watching YouTube on various aspects of TN's...genuine, and several do-it-yourself-from-the-dollar-store versions. I can see that I would have loved this back when I was a busy young mom/wife/volunteer/part-time secretary, etc. And I WANT to use them now, but I have no clue what I'd put in them. I don't want to use tangible art supplies and make sort of art journals with them because I'm not a hybrid person, and don't like the mess tangible supplies make. And I don't get how using digital works. Maybe I need to research at TLP the way the designers of the supplies recommend. But my eyes are crossing right now, so I think I'll save that for tomorrow.

easyeyes4you and staciahall like this.
  14. meggersjm

meggersjm bunny ears, bunny ears, playing by a tree

I did some digital pages that I love during Christmas in July, but now I don't know what to do with them.

Real scissors and glue aren't my jam! I would LOVE to know where you could get one printed like a photo book.

I currently have one that I am using as a habit tracker- Hobby Lobby had an insert that is supposed to be a weekly planner/calendar/fold up thingy, but I am using it to focus on habits and it works well.

15. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I started a thread a little while ago asking the same thing. If anyone knew of a company that printed books in 4.25 x 8.25 or 4x8 (or anything similar!). Came up empty.

16. blueberries

blueberries Did I ever tell you I have a thing for snakes?

Well the timing on this is suspect :-D - I've been getting poked to put both bullet journaling and physical art journaling on my list for the year. This certainly looks like a good place to start.

Karen likes this.
  17. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

For me the appeal is for a few reasons. I like the smaller size, how quickly a layout can come together, and the tactile feeling of having a "scrapbook" in my hands again. I'm not the best at printing my 12x12 pages, so those tend to just sit on my computer. This is something I can do to "feel" my work again a bit, if that makes sense. I love digi but every now and again I want a scissor or a piece of paper in my actual hand. I don't get messy - I leave the messy part digi. I create the basic layout in PS and then print my 4.25 x 8.25 page (two can fit on one sheet of standard paper). I often print out a simple "sticker" sheet of embellishments (they usually aren't on sticker paper though). And then I add them to my pages with glue or pop dots for a little dimension. Most of the work is still designed in photoshop for me.

Here's 2 recent pages - the full 4.25 x 8.25 page is done in PS, printed and glued into an insert (think little long thin notebook) which sits inside the Traveler Notebook Cover. And then you can see the "sticker" sheet or maybe a better term is embellishment sheet - with little extras I add to the page to give a bit of pop.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's one of Sahin Designs' TN kits - take a look at her product pages for this kit, so you can see what is included for an idea of the pieces that would be digital.
    https://the-lilypad.com/store/Anecdote-Travelers-Notebook-Kit.html
    [​IMG]

It's definitely a personal preference as to whether it appeals to you are not.

Some people just love this size and do them all digital for the fun of it.

QuiltyMom, mcurtt, staciahall and 2 others like this.
  18. Cherylndesigns

@jenn mccabe You got me hooked, Jenn! I fell in love with them back in July when you hosted the Christmas in July. Gosh, that seems like ages ago!! Your pages are the cutest! I agree with everything you said - it's fun to feel like I'm paper scrapping again, and it doesn't take very long. They're just so much fun to play with.

I actually made one from scratch, using a piece of lightweight cardboard, covering the front, back, and inside covers with patterned paper, then using the same principle as you use to put the inserts in the TN, I made pages and used an extra TN band and just banded it in the center.

I have another one that I made with one of my inserts. I covered the front, back, and inside covers and decorated the front.

mcurtt and jenn mccabe like this.
  19. Karen

Ooooh.... I'd love to see pictures of this!

jenn mccabe and Cherylndesigns like this.
  20. Karen

I also invested in a long arm stapler so I could make my own booklets to go in my TN cover. It was crazy cheap and I've use it for other random stuff since I've had it. I love that thing!

bestcee, mcurtt and jenn mccabe like this.