What do you use?

Discussion in 'Photography Pad' started by heathergw, Apr 12, 2012.

1. heathergw

heathergw Singing in the Neil mobile

So, I was ready an article yesterday that got me thinking about phone cameras and apps and photo editing and how advanced they've become and it made me wonder what you all use for taking pictures and editing pictures...

Like for me I use my iPhone for most candid pictures and I've been using camera+, Instagram and lo-mob for editing and even using them in my layouts because I like them so much... and I found that because I like them so much I rarely lug around the big ole dSLR anymore... The only time I use the big one is when I'm doing portrait type stuff like for Easter pics or when we have family gatherings or when I'm not trying to be all artsy and I'm using LR for editing less too since it's rare for me to use the dSLR anymore and have been using PS more for getting artsy with actions and textures LOL

2. Brandi

Brandi You're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind

I'm the same way. I've been lugging my Nikon around a lot less (well, actually I don't lug it around anymore at all :whistle b/c it's just so much easier to pull my iPhone out of my pocket). I use my iPhone to take most pics. I'm worried I'm going to regret it though later on b/c of the quality of the pictures aren't as great as they are with my Nikon. My fav photo apps are Instagram and Pixlromatic. LOVE 'em! :beat

3. bderby

bderby No, I will not tell you what "merde" means!

I still use my Nikon 99% of the time. I have a small point and shoot, but am just spoiled about the control that I have with my DSLR. For just casual stuff, I use my phone more than that. My problem with my phone is that it isn't that the camera really isn't great and so I get really frustrated with it. I just got Instagram and have been using it for some photos, but also use Pixlromatic.

4. sarahbhb

sarahbhb Happy Anniversary babe! Now, pack up!

I don't have a DSLR but I use my Canon Powershot for just about everything. I do take some phone pics if I forget my P&S at home but that's rare (maybe a couple of times a month) or if I just want to take a quick picture of something and I already have my phone out.

5. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

I still mostly use my dSLR. I don't have a decent camera in my phone, and my point and shoot is not the greatest, so I only use it if we're going somewhere that it would just be way too inconvenient to take the dSLR. I use PS for editing, but I don't often do a lot of editing to my photos either, usually just a basic levels thing. I'm boring. :giggle

6. kelley

kelley Gets excited over little green things.

I'm addicted to my Nikon D90. That is pretty much what I use 99% of the time. It helps that I don't have an iphone though - if I were to spend money on that, I'm sure I'd use it for most snapshots since they looks so cool with instagram. I just don't want to pay for the cost of having the phone monthly - I'm too cheap! I have a kodak playsport video camera that takes pics too, but they are bad. I have that in my purse all the time though just in case. I just love the quality of my Nikon along with my 50 mm lens. I also love editing in PS. I don't do lightroom, though I've tried it - just didn't love it enough to buy it, and didn't see what it really did that ACR and PS won't do. I have CS5, and I do my initial editing in ACR because I shoot RAW.

7. AmberR

AmberR Take that naysayers! Pink is my color.

well, seeing's I don't have a camera phone, just an itouch (which I love for everything EXCEPT the horrible camera), I still use my Nikon D7000 for most of my pictures, and I edit them in PSCS5 Camera Raw. I have the itouch with me almost everywhere I go, so if something happens that I need/want a photo for, I'll pull it out. And then I use camera+ or instagram. However, the quality of that camera (not even one full megapixel) is SO bad, I have to get really creative after in PS with blending...!

8. emilymerritt

emilymerritt skrpbkmom

My Canon 7D is starting to gather some dust. I have been exclusively using a DSLR for my photo-a-day until about a month ago. Ever since then I've been using Instagram. It's so just darn convenient...I hate lugging my big camera around. I'm still using it for photo shoots and for special pictures like birthdays, school photos etc. :)

9. gracielou

gracielou Well-Known Member

I am using my DSLR, when I am in the mood for taking pictures that is. I have got to do better about that! I paid to much for it not to plus it's really the only camera I have. I would love to have an iphone exclusively for the convenience of taking pictures on the go but I am to cheap to pay the monthly charges for having an iphone LOL. I would love for apple to come out with an ipad that has a great camera on it. I love my ipad1 but refuse to upgrade until they get a nice camera on it. That will definitely work along side my DSLR when they figure it out.

I edit in both LR and PS. I have been doing more in LR lately just because I am to lazy to mess with all the stuff in PS right now.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  10. rmcabana

rmcabana Hit me with your best shot

I have been using my iphone a lot more for photos and scrapping those as well. It takes some good pics! But I'll still drag out the DSLR or P&S for parties and other big events or even when I just want to take some new pics of my dog.

11. Cristina

Cristina Handmade with love, actually

I actually do use my SLR most of the time. I edit with RadLab. For when we're out and about for errands, I like using DH's iPhone+Instagram.

12. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I still lug my Nikon DSLR around because my iPhone camera just stinks. I'm surprised to see that you're using it so much Heather. What version iPhone do you have? I have the iPhone 4. I've heard from tons of people that my version's camera stinks. I've heard that it was way better in the iPhone 3 and then they fixed it again in the iPhone 4s. Bummer for me. LOL! :)

13. heathergw

heathergw Singing in the Neil mobile

I have an iPhone 4 too... and yeah the quality isn't super but it's more the convenience that I like... and knowing that nothing will compare to the dSLR makes me like the imperfections and adding the fun filters from Instagram and Lo-Mob... and I really think Camera+ is totally worth the $1, to improve the quality... I usually snap in Camera+ and do some sharpening and fixing lighting and then bring it into Instagram or lo-mob for the filters and artsy stuff and social media stuff... but since I don't plan on printing them to frame, I don't really need the super quality stuff and I keep them pretty small on my layouts too and since I print at 8x8 it doesn't bother me that much... Plus, I'm capturing everyday moments when we're out that I would have missed since I don't want to carry the big dSLR along with a diaper bag and a child who wants to be held instead of in the stroller... I just love having it in my pocket and can whip it out to capture a moment out with the kids or something funny the do while running errands... I had always thought I wanted a point n shoot for the convenience but am finding the iPhone replaces that need for me

and btw, I do not have phone service because I'm cheap and never use a cell phone anyways... I just got it used when everyone was upgrading to the 4s and use it as a glorified itouch LOL... which is why her name is "Gloria", and yes she's a she LOL

oh, and I've used it for taking pics while out looking for kitchen remodel stuff and it's been awesome for price shopping and taking pics of stuff I like to show hubby so he can find something similar on Craigslist or Freecycle LOL... stuff that would be really obvious I was price shopping if I had the dSLR lol

14. mlewis

mlewis mlewis

I lug my Nikon around because I don't have an iphone or anything that works with instagram. If I had an iphone, I can definitely see how it would be alot easier for those quick snapshots.