What do you shoot with?!!

Discussion in 'Photography Pad' started by MandaKay, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Lisa Carroll

Lisa Carroll Lisa Carroll

I have a Nikon D90 and I love it! The 18-105 Kit lens stays on the camera most of the time. I also have a 50mm 1.4 but I forget to use it. My DH does picked up a new lens and external flash for me while he was in Korea. It is really cheap, so either he got an outstanding deal on the model I wanted Nikon 18-200, or he is coming home with some other surprise. Either way it will be fun to have a new lens to play with. I also just started using the d600 flash for it and my pictures are so much better now. Which makes it all the more frustrating to think that it took me over 6 months to get it out of the box and use it after I bought it.

I also have a Canon Powershot SD1400, I think, that stays in my purse. I don't really like it but I think that is because I expect it to act like my Nikon dSLR, which of course it doesn't.

2. MandaKay

MandaKay Loyal as they come.

Oh girls...it is so fun to read what you are all shooting with! Sounds like a lot of 50mm lens'! I like the pictures I get with my 50mm lens, but most of the time hate the fact that I can't zoom in or out, which is why I don't use it a ton. Maybe for one of my P365 weeks I will make myself use only that lens!

3. rmcabana

rmcabana Hit me with your best shot

I have a Canon Digital Rebel, which I just got, and it's my first DSLR. I have no idea about lenses yet! LOL! I also still shoot with my Sony Cybershot.

4. Lisa Carroll

Lisa Carroll Lisa Carroll

That is a great idea! I need to force myself to do that as well. I would also like to do a week with the camera on manual.

5. Lor

Lor you've always had the power, my dear

I'm a Canon Power Shot S5 gal and have been pretty happy with it. Although, the zoom isn't the best... :-( I'm hoping I receive a new camera for my B-Day this Friday! Keeping my fingers crossed. :-)

6. maaike

maaike New Member

I have a Canon EOS 350D (Canon rebel xt in America) with the kitlens and loving it!

7. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I use a super old (like 6-8 years old) Olympus Evolt 300 with the 18-75 lens that came with it. I also have a zoom lens, but I always get awful pictures with it unless it's really sunny, or I use a tripod, so the small lens almost always stays on it. I really would like to upgrade to the T2i, but I really can't justify it because my old clunker still takes really good pictures. If it ain't broke.... don't fix it!

I also have a Canon SD 1100is p&s in my purse that I really love too.

8. crazygirl

crazygirl Opening a post office

carly, my husband wants me to get the mark5
    but like karen said. "if it aint broke, dont' fix it"
    and I truly believe that. HA!
    my 30D still takes AMAZING pictures (and I don't ever take it out of program. HA!)
    don't even know HOW to shoot in manual LOL
    i've had the 50mm lens serviced once when it came unscrewed. weird thing.
    and had the entire camera cleaned twiced.
    which reminds me, it's probably time for another good cleaning. LOL

9. snaggletooth

snaggletooth Minnetonka? Momma? Either way.

hmmm so maybe i just need to invest in some rockin lenses and learn to better use the one I have first?
    or maybe not let my uncle try to make me buy something to expensive that ill just drop on the floor LOL i was thinking about that
    i like my camera but hubby is like oo this is a better model ( he doesnt know how to even use my camera btw). he thinks higher price means better pictures LOL i srsly miss my canon point and shoot, i could stick it in my pocket rather than lug a bag around

10. snaggletooth

snaggletooth Minnetonka? Momma? Either way.

try telling that to a hubby thats a mechanic LMAO his motto, it will break at some point so why not fix it first. hes a turd.

11. judet

judet Active Member

Definitely worth spending a week with your 50mm. I generally keep it on the camera unless we're going out for a walk and I'm going to really want the range of zoom. I love the pics, I love that I can take indoor shots without flash (I'm really, really anti-flash!) and I love that it makes the camera that bit smaller. I really don't miss the zoom too much tbh, I've got used to moving my feet - works up to a point, lol!

12. judet

judet Active Member

As I understand it the lenses are more important than the camera body in terms of getting better pics - that's where I'm spending dh's hard earned cash at the moment, anyway! I'm trying to improve the skill of the photographer too, that's my side of the bargain :)

13. Whit

Whit Life is too short to keep it all in!!

I have the Canon Rebel XT, right now just the kit lens. I've looked at upgrading, but I'm having a really hard time making myself let go of my rebel. My 50mm lens bit the dust when my nephew was born(it's amazing what a hospital floor can do to a lens), but I'm about to order another one. I love that lens. A couple people have recommended a wide angle lens to me, so I'll be looking into that, too.

14. emmasmom

emmasmom emmasmom

I have a 5d and an 85 1.8 and 135L. I have a 50, but I really don't love it on my new camera, it was great on my rebel though. I am saving up for the 35L, I really love that focal length!

15. bderby

bderby No, I will not tell you what "merde" means!

I definitely agree. It does take some getting used to, but the quality of my photos are so much better when I use it. And I can take pics inside without the flash ( I am with you, I hate hate hate the flash).

My problem is that I am not sure where to go from the 50 mm 1.8 without spending some significant money on a lens. And I just don't know if I can justify it....

16. carolee

carolee Humming along in the Neil mobile

That is how I feel. I have the Nikon D90 with the 50mm and the 18-200. Sometimes the 50mm gets on my nerves with its limited shooting area, but I don't know where to go next.

17. emmasmom

emmasmom emmasmom

I heard Nikon just came out with a really great 85mm. I love that focal length! Might be one to try Carolee :)

18. mlewis

mlewis mlewis

I have a Nikon D90 and a Tamron 28-75 2.8, but it's my 50mm 1.4 that NEVER leaves the camera. Dreaming of a full-frame one day.

19. Orange

Orange New Member

I'm envious of your DSLRs, but I'm grateful that I have a Canon S5 IS and a little (cheap) Olympus P&S. :)

20. Lor

Lor you've always had the power, my dear

Wooot! Wooot! My hubby & daughter surprised me with a new camera for Birthday!! I now shoot with a Canon Power Shot SX 30 IS and the zoom is amazing! So totally thrilled! :-)