What challenge makes you....

Discussion in 'Month of Challenges FIVE - 2017' started by Sokee, Jan 10, 2017.

1. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Photo-less pages filled with journaling! EEk!

Neverland Scraps and Sokee like this.
  2. Juliestcyr

Juliestcyr Grammar nerd and proud of it

I am here to be challenged and learn new things. I have started to develop what I feel is a storytelling style by using one-photo pages with either a big, beautiful photo. Or, if my photo taking is not so hot, a smaller photo with a longer journal entry to support it. Then, I fill in the details with a pocket page to follow. That is my ideal 2pg. spread.Throw in a title page (for events), or an index/agenda style page to keep it organized. That said there are still a few things I need to work on. I'm not scared, but acknowledge I have a lot to learn.
    - Shadowing
    - Multi-photo layouts that are not pocket-styled.
    - layering lots of papers.

Neverland Scraps likes this.
  3. Tiff

Tiff I don't need no stinking playlists!

Usually the 1 photo or the introspective type things make me cringe. I'm more about scrapping particular memories, and I generally have several photos I want to get on the page.

But lately, I'm so tired of scrapping the same ol' thing: Oh, it's more pictures I took at a very familiar and already well documented nature area near our home .... blah blah blah

So, I'm actually enjoying getting outside my box a little. I'm trying to be a bit more open to different scrapping prompts.

kendrawalter likes this.
  4. kim21673

kim21673 I'm slowly getting there!

For challenges.....
    I'm not a fan of art journaling...I love looking at it, but I couldn't do it if my life depended on it!
    I'm not a fan of a lot of journaling...I am a simple sentence or two and that's it.
    I'm not a fan of black/white photos or circle photos...I prefer color and rectangle/square photos. There are so many times I will do both...I will have a b/w photo for a challenge but save a colored version for my scrapbook!!!

Oh...and I am definitely not a fan of All About Me pages...I do not scrap about myself...ever!!!!

Neverland Scraps likes this.
  5. kendrawalter

kendrawalter Well-Known Member

I feel the exact same way. Not a big art journal fan.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  6. elseepe

elseepe I'll follow the sun

You should try some of Just Jaimee's A Stacked Mess -- always love using them to help my clustering

Neverland Scraps and kimingvtx like this.
  7. elseepe

My first MOC is was the clean and simple that seemed to take me forever, until we had the double page. It turned out that C&S was my favorite layout and I keep trying to do more of them, but they are still not as simple for me. But, double page layouts still have me panicking (mostly because I just don't have that many photos of a single theme, or it's harder to think of a theme to pull it together).

8. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

It isn't a style so much as my brain hitting a brick wall on a challenge. Like @AnneofAlamo mentioned about the "photos to tell a story" page giving her a tough time, I had a tough time with the Double Exposure challenge. I loved the idea of a double exposure, and I'd done it before, but for some reason I couldn't get the pics I wanted to use to look the way my brain told me they could look. So it wasn't the challenge itself but my inability to make PS do what I wanted it to do. :) Anyway, I ended up loving the page I created!
    [​IMG]

9. 3BluEyedBabies

3BluEyedBabies Falling for pumpkin ...

Art Journal makes me cringe....

10. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

I'm with you there!

Art journaling is still a stretch for me. I'm just not super comfortable with throwing stuff all over the page. What i dread the most is a technique challenge that's geared for Photoshop users. Using different software, I'm not always sure that I can reproduce the effect the challenge is calling for.

11. merank

merank Working my way through scrumdiddlyumptious bars

I don't know that any of them really make me cringe, but some take a lot longer than others (art journaling, blending, and double exposure come to mind). I do like that I'm learning new things, even though I will likely never use some of them again!

12. Chippi

Chippi Those chicken nuggets are just waiting to attack

I'm not too keen on photoless (about me) or one-photo pages, but I make them work or stick them in my Others folder. Art journalling and big cluster pages scare me, but I just try my hardest.

I just LOVE how MOC pushes us to try something new. It's tricky a lot of the time, but it is usually something we would just skip past in any other situation.

13. fruitysuet

fruitysuet Well-Known Member

Quite a few now you ask
    Clean and Simple
    Pocket Pages
    Art Journaling
    Extractions
    Double Pages ... although last year I did several even for challenges when double pages were not required so perhaps I'm not as scared of these any more!

jk703 and Neverland Scraps like this.
  14. fruitysuet

fruitysuet Well-Known Member

Oh and, actually, all of what you just wrote!

15. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I struggled with this, until I went and looked at the speed scrap instructions. I didn't follow them, but I looked at how the speed scrap instructions were inspired by the board, and I ended up coming away with 7 or 8 inspirations from the board. At first glance, I totally felt like you did. I thought it might be the challenge I was finishing up at midnight January 31.

For me, I used to dislike anything that didn't fit my definition of scrapping. But I stopped and looked back at the pages I made my first MOC, and realized there were a lot that I loved that were outside my current style. And then I remembered - it's supposed to be a challenge! If all 31 were easy for me, that means all 31 would be hard for someone else with a different style. So I'm embracing the challenges this year, and just accepting that all I need to do is my best. It won't be an amazing art journal page, but it's my best.

And I reserve the right to add more journaling after the fact. :giggle

EHStudios likes this.
  16. MrsGaramer

MrsGaramer Using my imagination

The clean and simple. I am a fill it up scrapper!

17. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

I'm not sure how old your children are. Mine are adults (baby 17 though) And I NEVER did layouts about me or really take photos of me. It wasn't until I did create one..... think because of a challenge.... and my daughters went crazy over it. They loved it. Said they didn't realize the story I was telling and to tell them more. It totally opened my eyes to this is a window for my children to see ME to get to know ME. What if God forbid something happened to me today. And my story was never told. They only knew me from my mother role. I think that is so sad. So look at these layouts of AAM as a window into your soul, your thoughts, feelings, love for them, childhood memories, dating their dad memories, your favorite music, favorite outfit for 2016, dreams of travel......and the teaching tools they could be for your children.

18. elseepe

Did you look at the speed scrap instructions? That broke it down and made it so doable for me.

klee73010 likes this.
  19. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

No, I forgot all about the speed scrap by the time I actually did it today, but... I finally worked through my block and did it. :D

bestcee and elseepe like this.
  20. Neverland Scraps

Neverland Scraps Always trust, never doubt