What are your scrapping habits? | Pad Patter 05.06.23

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by ArmyGrl, May 6, 2023.

1. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

In honor of iNSD weekend I thought we might like to talk about our scrapping habits and things we like.

Are you a morning scrapper, or night scrapper?

Are you more of a traditional scrapper preserving memories and making books for generations to come, or a creative soul who simply likes to play with all the goodies to make art for art’s sake?

Do you prefer lots of clusters and depth, 2D brushes and arty, or keeping your page clean and simple?

If I looked at your gallery, would I see simple card-stock paper backgrounds (solid colors), lots of patterned papers, or more of a mixed media arty paper as your background?

What is your favorite go-to element? For example, do you gravitate to using bows, flowers, ephemera paper bits, buttons, or brushes?

Alphas or no?

Are templates a must for you?

Do you have a favorite themed kit and no matter how many variations of it come it, you are buying it?

Do you put lots of written journaling on your page, or more of a time and date only kind of person?

Anything else you’d like to share about your scrapping habits?

LoveItScrapIt and umyesh like this.
  2. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

Morning. Creativity seems to be more fresh and ready. When the sun goes down, my brain starts to turn off.

Are you more of a traditional scrapper preserving memories and making books for generations to come, or a creative soul who simply likes to play with all the goodies to make art for art’s sake?
    Definitely more of an art for art's sake kind of gal.

Do you prefer lots of clusters and depth, 2D brushes and arty, or keeping your page clean and simple?
    All of the above, but I do love lots of depth and shadows in layouts.

If I looked at your gallery, would I see simple card-stock paper backgrounds (solid colors), lots of patterned papers, or more of a mixed media arty paper as your background?
    I have a little bit of everything, but patterns seem more of an element rather than background. I think I gravitate towards arty type backgrounds more than anything else (not plain but not patterned either).

What is your favorite go-to element? For example, do you gravitate to using bows, flowers, ephemera paper bits, buttons, or brushes?
    Most, but not all, of my layouts have flowers on them. I LOVE flowers and leaves as elements. Next would be journal strips or little ephemera paper bits.

Alphas or no?
    More times than not - no. I don't feel a need to have a title on my layouts. But I do like 'em when I use them.

Nope.

Do you have a favorite themed kit and no matter how many variations of it come it, you are buying it?
    I am drawn to photog, photography, "click" type kits. There is something about those little cameras - they are so cute! Oh and coffee. I can never have too much coffee or coffee kits :compcoffee

Do you put lots of written journaling on your page, or more of a time and date only kind of person?
    More of a time and date only, or a journal strip made by a designer, but I do have pages with LOTS of written journaling.

I :beat TLP.

LoveItScrapIt and KarenB like this.
  3. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Midday for me! I get stuff done in the morning, scrap midday.

Memorykeeper here. Obsessively so. I rarely, if ever, make a page that isn't for a specific album.

Minimalist is my preferred style at the moment. If not that stark style, it's at least almost always a pocket page

If you looked at my instagram gallery, you would see a LOT of plain white background. Here, it's usually layered solids over a pattern

stamps

Alphas or no?
    Not usually

Sort of... I do use a LOT of templates, but I make almost all of them myself using the template maker actions in the store by Mommyish

Anything Project Mouse! And as an extension of that, anything Disney.... I currently have 5 Disney trip albums in progress

If there is a story to tell... I definitely tell it! But if there's not, I'm ok with just the date.

I have gotten out of my 12x12 box lately and have been experimenting with different sizes to fit different projects. At first I thought it would drive me mad seeing all of the different sizes on my scrapbook shelf, but I actually love them. Each is tailored to fit each specific project.

2023iNSD.png

4. G.J.

G.J. If I Could Turn Back Time

Kisses for Bart!

5. G.J.

Night scrapper, I need silence

I haven't found my style yet, but I think I like to play and try always something new

Love minimalist pages, but by myself I add a lot of stuff, love a lots of clusters

All kind of styles, but majority includes a light background paper, love white background papers

stamps, buttons and flowers

Alphas or no?
    No

Love templates

yes, of course, love especially coffee, winter and autumn themed kits

Not at all, I don't like journaling

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  6. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

More of a whenever I feel motivated scrapper.. both morning ..noon and night...

I do books for the kids ... but also love to play with goodies

Messy organized?? Lol

I'm all over the place..depending on mood..

I like Messy stitches and threads and paints

Alphas or no?
    I will use them..sometimes ..but most no

Rarely..

Not really.. I like wordart and choose kits on that or the colors

I like writing letters to my kids but recently my journals have become less due to time

I just love scrapping and it's an addiction

G.J. and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  7. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

Anytime I can really. It varies based on day and what I've got going on with work & family life.

Started as memory keeping but as a inherently creative person and young adult children it's mostly creative outlet for arts sake now.

YES.

YES!! (AGAIN)

See above two answers....lol...YES!

Alphas or no?
    When the mood strikes.

Not really.

Water related (Pisces here). Autumn. Cosmic/ astrology/space. Nature & fishing. Christmas. Kits that focus on mood/emotion/life struggles. Is favorite designers a theme? Lol

Depends on what the page calls for.

8. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Mostly an afternoon/evening scrapper - My mum works shift work four days a week and is out of the house from about 11 am til 9 pm so I try and scrap then if possible or in the wee hours of the morning as I am very much a night owl.

Very much a makes art for arts sake….it’s my play time.

Primarily clean & simple with an artsy twist

A good mix of all three I’d say

Paint & stitching would be my go to’s

Alphas or no?
    I am a huge collector of them if that counts! All jokes aside, I’m more partial to a word art that works vs alphas

Yes, 100%, I flounder without a design to get me started

Probably food kits or graduation kits. Actually I’d say anything I can use to scrap my health journey as well.

Depends on the layout. Typically I’m quite brief with my journaling which is something I’m trying to improve on.

I usually mix and match a lot which makes the scrapping process quite slow for me but having just spent three months honing my speed scrapping abilities while being a Polly I find I am far more decisive with choosing products and therefor more productive.

9. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Are you a morning scrapper, or night scrapper? Any time of day whenever I feel like it.

Are you more of a traditional scrapper preserving memories and making books for generations to come, or a creative soul who simply likes to play with all the goodies to make art for art’s sake? Preserve memories

Do you prefer lots of clusters and depth, 2D brushes and arty, or keeping your page clean and simple? Pretty much clean and simple with small clusters. I do have a few pages with lots of clusters and depth but it doesn't come easy for me.

If I looked at your gallery, would I see simple card-stock paper backgrounds (solid colors), lots of patterned papers, or more of a mixed media arty paper as your background? Probably solid color backgrounds with patterned papers as mats and other paper pieces.

What is your favorite go-to element? For example, do you gravitate to using bows, flowers, ephemera paper bits, buttons, or brushes? Flowers/foliage with some bows or buttons. I am trying to use more of the not so typical elements though.

Alphas or no? Depends if I like the alpha that comes with the kit. I do love just clipping papers to a large font for titles instead of an alpha.

Are templates a must for you? Absolutely!

Do you have a favorite themed kit and no matter how many variations of it come it, you are buying it? Kits with the colors of autumn. I love taking photos of the changing colors in the fall so am always in need of new kits to highlight those photos.

Do you put lots of written journaling on your page, or more of a time and date only kind of person? Depends. If they are old photos that I only know an approximately month and year, then that is what I will use with maybe a short description of who and where. More recent photos I tend to journal a lot.

Anything else you’d like to share about your scrapping habits? One-kit scrapper for the most part. I struggle to use more than one designer on a layout unless it is a collab that I know works together. I can combine 2 kits from 1 designer since most designers have a style of their own.

10. KayTeaPea

KayTeaPea I carried a watermelon

Are you a morning scrapper, or night scrapper? mostly morning

Are you more of a traditional scrapper preserving memories and making books for generations to come, or a creative soul who simply likes to play with all the goodies to make art for art’s sake? I like to preserve memories and I also like to play with all the goodies

Do you prefer lots of clusters and depth, 2D brushes and arty, or keeping your page clean and simple? I tend towards more clean and simple, I think.

If I looked at your gallery, would I see simple card-stock paper backgrounds (solid colors), lots of patterned papers, or more of a mixed media arty paper as your background? I tend towards solids, but also love Rachel Jefferies' slightly grungy papers for backgrounds.

What is your favorite go-to element? For example, do you gravitate to using bows, flowers, ephemera paper bits, buttons, or brushes? I love ephemera, torn paper pieces and butterflies

Alphas or no? I rarely use alphas.

Are templates a must for you? As a creative team member for Fiddle-Dee-Dee Designs, I love templates and usually start with one.

Do you have a favorite themed kit and no matter how many variations of it come it, you are buying it? Any reading or book themed kit I will purchase!

Do you put lots of written journaling on your page, or more of a time and date only kind of person? I mostly put a date and a line or two of journaling about what is happening in the photo.

Anything else you’d like to share about your scrapping habits? I try to make a page each day, but usually end up making more like 5 a week.

11. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I like to scrap first thing in the mornings after the kitchen has been cleaned up and the house is quiet.

I'm mostly a story teller, and memory keeper. But sometimes just play

I think I'm a mix of all those things, but in a minimalist way of that makes sence.

I don't tend to like solid plain backgrounds, so if I'm having a solid backgroudn it normally has a painty/textured look. I like to use patterns.

buttons - give me buttons and more buttons.

Alphas or no?
    Yes, I like alphas for making titles

I didn't used to, but I find myself using thema lot now.

sewing or music

I like to add written journaling, but sometimes the title and pictures say it all.

I prefer to start with the story I want to tell and the photos, then choose the kit etc.

12. Annsofie

Annsofie Crime Books & Cozy Nooks

Since I work full time, I only have the evening for scrapbooking in the weeks. In weekends I try to scrap a bit in the morning.

I would describe me as a generalist, I love mixing my scrapbooking up with many different kind of techniques and goals for why I scrap. I do it both for documenting the everyday life and as a creative outlet.

Brushes and artsy or clean and simple I think. It’s hard to create good shadowing with Affinity Photo on the iPad which makes the clusters not so good.

More mixed media artsy ones than solid colors.

I never use buttons. I like paper bits, flowers (paper and sticker kind of type) greenery and thin ribbons, like paper ribbons or threads. And stamps/brushes!

Alphas or no?
    Too lazy to use alphas most of the time, but I like them.

No, I enjoy making a layout from scratch but I also like how easy it is to use templates.

I have far too many autumn and Christmas themed kits. I can’t stop myself!

Mixed. The pages I make for documenting the everyday thing, like pocket pages have more journaling than the pages I create for fun or for showing a beautiful picture.

I’m a sloooow scraper. No matter how simple, I need time to put it together. And I can’t watch YouTube or Netflix or anything while scrapping.

Last edited: May 6, 2023
  13. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

Depends on the day, on my work days I scrap in the evening sometimes if I have time or if I have to get a CT layotu done. On my off days, I'm more of a morning, then some chores/errands done, then some more scrapping! ;)

Maybe like 80/20- so much of my scrapping is CT work- so that tends to lead- and I have a backlog of zillions of photos to capture memories, so primarily that. Occasionally, tho- art for art sake feels good!

I've always described my scrapbooking as "everything but the kitchen sink!" I just LOVE ALL.THE.THINGS but tend to go towards clusters and depth. The funny thing is that when I traditionally scrapped wiht paper- I was much more of a clean lines/white space scrapper. Funny!

I love me a wood grain or a plaid background paper! The more patterned the better usually. Sometimes I throw myself a curveball and go with lots of white space & white cardstock. Just depends on my mood!

That's like choosing a favorite child! :giggle I do love strings & ribbons. Definitely need some flowers!

Alphas or no?
    Yes! I do love using word arts for titles, but that doesn't always work out!

They used to be, as I get more skilled and maybe more confident on my own choices- I've been gravitating to no templates & just letting the juices flow!

Pretty much anything Dog or any sports (since my kids do all the things.) I'm a sucker for really pretty floral kits, even if I don't end up using them....

Depends on the story. Sometimes the photos tell the story so I don't need journaling. Journaling is definitely not my strong suit.

I listen to audio books while I scrap- I've 'read' so many more books since I started that habit and love it! I only have to pause it while journaling, otherwise I have too many typos! lol!

14. KarenC

KarenC Well-Known Member

I try not to scrap at night if I can help it. :) Being on the computer too late makes it hard for me to go to sleep.

I love telling stories with photos and a little journaling. And I love to make my pages as beautiful as possible. :)

I'm pretty clean and simple but I enjoy adding clusters and artsy elements to add interest.

Some of all :)

I love things that look real, paper bits and stitches.

Alphas or no?
    Usually not

I usually like doing my own thing, but enjoy templates if they work with my photos.

I like less themed kits usually

I usually like to add a line or two of journaling. I love looking back at my pages and reading about the things I had forgotten.

I usually just use one kit for a page. I don't like digging around my stash trying to find things. I'm not very organized. :)

15. norton94

norton94 Thank goodness I'm still a Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Bart likes scrappers

16. G.J.

Kisses for Bart

17. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

[​IMG]
    Are you a morning scrapper, or night scrapper? I can do both. But generally am more productive in the mornings.

Are you more of a traditional scrapper preserving memories and making books for generations to come, or a creative soul who simply likes to play with all the goodies to make art for art’s sake? Both, I like to make photobooks for the family and for generations to come and just play with products and make layouts to be creative.

Do you prefer lots of clusters and depth, 2D brushes and arty, or keeping your page clean and simple? I tend for more traditional paper style look to my layouts. But with the help of NBK and LynnG, I can do artsy and painty and with Cheryl's templates they will be more clustery and dimensional.

If I looked at your gallery, would I see simple card-stock paper backgrounds (solid colors), lots of patterned papers, or more of a mixed media arty paper as your background? I LOVE woodgrain as a neutral, but also low contrast artsy backgrounds or plain cardstock. Seldom big patterns.

What is your favorite go-to element? For example, do you gravitate to using bows, flowers, ephemera paper bits, buttons, or brushes? Yes please all the things. Love the flowers and greenery and won't hesitate to layer them on masculine layouts.

Alphas or no? I find making a title from a font faster, but if the title is short I can and do use alphas.

Are templates a must for you? I do love some templates, yes. But not limited to templates.

Do you have a favorite themed kit and no matter how many variations of it come it, you are buying it? I can't pass a Christmassy kit without looking twice.

Do you put lots of written journaling on your page, or more of a time and date only kind of person? As the children have gotten older there is less journaling on pages that I put on the internet, so now I am more a date and place type of person.

Anything else you’d like to share about your scrapping habits? I am addicted. There is seldom a day goes by without me doing something scrapbooking related, taking photos, organizing my supplies, shopping for supplies and uploading and blogging.

18. G.J.

Kisses for Bart

19. mary kate

mary kate Well-Known Member

Are you a morning scrapper, or night scrapper? I'm more of an evening scrapper, though sometimes enjoy scrapping in the early morning

Are you more of a traditional scrapper preserving memories and making books for generations to come, or a creative soul who simply likes to play with all the goodies to make art for art’s sake? Traditional scrapper, no question. But I'm seriously inspired by the creative souls at this site!

Do you prefer lots of clusters and depth, 2D brushes and arty, or keeping your page clean and simple? Lots of clusters and depth. I always enjoy a clean and simple challenge (takes me out of my comfort zone), but it's never going to be my preferred style (in part because I love using patterned papers and elements!)

If I looked at your gallery, would I see simple card-stock paper backgrounds (solid colors), lots of patterned papers, or more of a mixed media arty paper as your background? I most often use a solid background (often white or cream, or a pale kraft), but I almost always use patterned papers on my pages too. Lately I've been trying to use subtly patterned papers as a background

What is your favorite go-to element? For example, do you gravitate to using bows, flowers, ephemera paper bits, buttons, or brushes? I love buttons and bows.

Alphas or no? I love alphas, but I don't often use them. I love working with fonts.

Are templates a must for you? Not an absolute must, but I do use templates for the majority of my layouts. Occasionally, I struggle to find the right template, even though I've acquired quite a stash of awesome templates in a variety of styles: it's like I'm standing in front of a closetful of clothes, and can't find anything to wear!

Do you have a favorite themed kit and no matter how many variations of it come it, you are buying it? Camping/wilderness/outdoors. And especially anything with a retro camp feel.

Do you put lots of written journaling on your page, or more of a time and date only kind of person? For everyday pages, I often use only title and date, with perhaps a line or two of journaling. For family history pages, I often include lots of journaling

20. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I'm an all-the-time scrapper! I do prefer more

Traditional scrapper with an artsy page every once in a while

Clusters and depth + 2D brushes and artsy

Patterned or mixed media papers

Flowers, labels, foliage, paint, scatters

Alphas or no?
    Every so often

Um, yes. LOL Well, they are a must for me as I design them. I generally scrap original compositions as I often use my layouts to springboard new template sets.

I love photography based kits, as well as everyday type kits.

I put a wee bit of journaling along with date and identifying who is on the page and their age at the time the photos were taken.

I was in a regular routine of scrapping every day, but a variety of personal issues has definitely got me out of that habit. I'm trying to work my way back into that. Since I was scrapping daily, I felt that I knew what layouts I wanted to do, what albums I wanted to complete, etc.