Well that was a close one....

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by littlekiwi, Oct 26, 2020.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Have finally got around to sorting out the mess called my wishlist and noticed there were two Storyteller Collections sitting there from 2017...I thought thats strange cause I have like everything almost of Jaimee's. Looked at my visual order history and they weren't showing as purchased so put them in my cart for when I next get paid. Thought hmm this still doesn't make sense cause I pick the collections up each month as soon as her newsletter with the subscribers link is in my inbox plus I recognized the collections and thought I'm sure I've used them before and I had the collections either side of the two that were "missing".....looked in my stash and low and behold they were both there.....saved myself a heap of money with that second look.

I also probably cleared out of my wishlist a good 20 or 30 items that I either had bought here, were collabs that I'd bought from the other designers store or on 2nd look the products just aren't my style.....so I'd say an hour well spent doing a job that I've been putting off. Now the hard part, deleting from my wishlist as I buy to save all of this time

KayTeaPea and Memaw2Wm like this.
  2. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it be great if items were removed from your wishlist as you buy them?

KayTeaPea likes this.
  3. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

that would be the dream

4. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Ah, getting organized feels so nice! :) I've had a few missteps myself, which is why I love my Excel spreadsheet. (If you'd have told teenage me that middle-aged me would love a spreadsheet, I'd have laughed my head off!)

It's a problem at all online shops, isn't it? I try to work around it by right-clicking on the product name, selecting "open in new tab," and then I add to cart from there. Then I can delete the item from my WL, which is still open in its own tab. If I change my mind and don't buy the product, its page is still open so I can press that little heart to add it back to my WL. (But that rarely happens... When something goes into my cart, it's there lol!)

Karen, bestcee and HavaDrPepper like this.
  5. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I was going to say the same as Sara. :) I do a lot of right clicking and opening in a new tab (not just for TLP).

Karen and Tree City like this.
  6. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

It seriously would be awesome, but not even Amazon and their power does it. LOL!!!

Karen, cfile and Tree City like this.
  7. Claire Grantham

Claire Grantham Pollywog

Tell me more about this Excel Spreadsheet :) I am a cardmaker and I have an online stamp library to prevent me buying things twice :crazy3so I love the idea of one for my new digital collection (which considering I only started in March 2020 IS VAST!!)

KayTeaPea and wvsandy like this.
  8. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

Actually both Amazon and SSD do ...

kik step stool.JPG

SSD.JPG .

9. Dalis

Our store here at TLP does that, what it doesn't do is take it out of the WISH LIST. You have to manually take it out of the wish list. If you click from the wish list our store WILL tell you that you already bought this product.

bestcee likes this.
  10. Tree City

Amazon has a "don't want to ruin your surprise?" WL feature, so depending on your settings, purchased items still show up on your list. I have to do that because the kids are older and can grab my phone. I don't want them knowing what gifts their grandparents got them lol! Thankfully amazon, for all its faults, has enough money to have that WL coding.

And like Dalis said, I love that tlp will warn me before I add an item to my cart, just like your Amazon screenshot. The one issue is individual packs vs a kit or bundle, but that's why my spreadsheet is handy. And any DS store has the same issue. (Claire, I saw your question and once I'm at my laptop I'll answer it, I promise! @Claire Grantham )

Dalis likes this.
  11. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Amazon only does if it's the exact same item. If it's an older model, it won't warn you. It also won't warn you if the listing was deleted and relisted. Sigh.

The feature you show at SSD (cart warning) is active at TLP too.
    Already purchased cart.JPG

In fact, if you are logged in to the store, as you browse you'll get a warning too:
    Already purchased.JPG

I try to remember to log in to the store right away when I'm browsing for that reason!

I've also been known to go through and right click, open in a new window on my wish list to look for that warning. It doesn't work if the store doesn't recognize you purchased it though - like with designers specials and such. But I have the same problem at other scrap/craft stores, so I imagine it's a software limitation.

Dalis likes this.
  12. Tree City

@Claire Grantham I just did a search looking for posts I've made with the keywords "Excel" and "spreadsheet"...guess how many results popped up? 26. I may be obsessed! :giggle My ESS has the following columns:
    kit name, designer, store, keywords (basically my tags but a few extra terms), Colors (I write the main 3 or 4 colors), "Misc" (if it's part of a BYOC or some bigger collection/has coordinating items), CT (I write CT if I got it for a CT gig), Date, and Other (that very last column, where you see "EP PP Stickers" listed for "An Illustrated Christmas." I added that category after realizing sometimes I buy individual packs but they're also offered as a kit...because sometimes I only buy the element pack and I want to remember that later I want the PP. That's what happened with that Becca set.)
    [​IMG]

Another way I organize my stash is by having a PREVIEWS folder that contains the folder preview of every kit. I do not tag individual items in a kit; instead, I tag the preview. In the kit's folder, I name the preview "Folder" so it shows up as the preview image. After tagging the preview, I make a copy and I add it to my PREVIEWS folder--I rename it "Kit Name" and the designers initials. If it's for BYOC, I add "BYOC YYYY-MM." [Example: Bella Gypsy's Oct 2020 BYOC kit, Fall to Pieces, is named "Fall to Pieces BG BYOC 2020-10"--I should say that my Previews are named exactly the same as how I named the kit's folder so I can easily go to my KITS folder and find what I want.] If I'm looking for a specific designer, I can just type in their initials into the Search bar. If I type "BG," then I get all of my Bella Gypsy kits. "LBW" pulls up Little Butterfly Wings. "BYOC 2020-10" pulls up all images of Oct 2020's BYOC.

But searching my spreadsheets* is just as fast as searching my Previews folder, and it gives me a tiny bit more info, esp if I want to find coordinating products--like BYOC items. There is a way to quickly organize your ESS and you can even say you have headers. So you could arrange by Store, then alphabetically by designer, then by kit name. It's glorious. I can arrange by the MISC column so I can get all BYOC in alpha. order.

*I also have an ESS for non-kit items, like JC or WA packs. The columns are similar except I have a "Type" column so I can list if it's a WA, JC, temp (I don't list all templates, but very specific ones I buy for certain projects), Mask, etc.

bestcee likes this.
  13. Tree City

@littlekiwi I just read your scrap your stash? thread. Perhaps it would be easier to find what you wanted if you had a spreadsheet and/or a Previews folder. Even if you started only by adding new products as you unzip them, you'd have not only a good idea of what you've purchased but also each kit's contents. That alone may make it easier to find things (because you have to really looked at every kit as you type up the ESS or add tags before adding to the Previews folder) and it'll help later on when you know you have a certain kit but can't remember the name of it: you can just search for a certain theme or color in your ESS and easily find what you need. Heck, you can add images to an ESS but I don't do that. IDK why lol. And don't let the model of spreadsheet trip you up: you can use any type you want. There are free programs out there. Google has a spreadsheet program, don't they? Anyway, just a thought.

I can't blame an online shop's coding for what I purchase. Just like I don't yell at the grocery store about why I can't find the salsa I swore I bought and remember putting somewhere in the pantry, organizing my digital purchases has to come from me. Being able to search my stash has to come from me. No one knows what I bought except me and my PayPal account. :giggle

KayTeaPea and HavaDrPepper like this.
  14. Dalis

I am impressed and scared all at the same time!

Karen and Tree City like this.
  15. Tree City

:compcoffee thanks, but it is a super easy system. It takes way more time to explain/show off than to actually do lol.

Dalis likes this.
  16. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Same! :giggle Sara.... will you do my stash for me? :grin @Tree City

Also... I completely feel you on the love of spreadsheet. It's kinda ridiculous how much a love spreadsheets for organizing stuff. Lol!

Tree City likes this.