Weight Lifting

Discussion in 'Fit Pad' started by Angie4b1g, May 15, 2013.

1. Angie4b1g

Angie4b1g A hundred jobs but Bob Villa ain't one

Anyone do it?

I did a bunch of CrossFit a year or so ago, and really liked it. But the time and cost factor became too prohibitive, so I stopped going. Then I stopped lifting weights.

A couple months ago I bought a set of weights and an olympic bar, and then for Mother's Day, I got a bench. Very exciting!

Until I got the bench, I was mostly doing front and back squats, thrusters, deadlifts, etc. Now I can add in the bench presses.

My running club is putting on a Pump & Run at the end of June and I think I'm going to go for it! For every time I can bench press 60% of my body weight, they take 30 seconds off my 5k time. Since I weigh 180lbs, I figured there's no way (since that means I have to bench 108lbs). I tried it when we got the bench and was able to do 3 reps. So, I guess I can! I have another 6 weeks to train for it, so I should be good to go!

I did my first real bench workout yesterday and can feel it in my shoulders today! Woot!

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  2. stampin_rachel

stampin_rachel The Lost Spice Girl

I only have dumbells - but I try to incorporate them into my workouts. Today I am doing a leg workout with 12lb dumbells in each hand. My ass will hurt tomorrow - but in a good way :)

3. Lor

Lor you've always had the power, my dear

Yep! I'm a weight lifter, but only for toning not building. I have a weight machine, but prefer to use my free weights with squats, lunges, leg lifts, etc. I also have a routine for my arms. My lifting is part of my regular work-out and I would never it give it up, because the results are to satisfying. I say go for it!!! :-)

4. AmberR

AmberR Take that naysayers! Pink is my color.

i use some of jillian's DVD's and my teeny little dumbells (they only make them in 1KG weights at the discount stores :P) for toning. I did some lifting at the gym, but have canceled my membership. I really wanted to build my wimpy arms, but they are just going to stay string beans, I guess. :P I like to mix the toning (and building in legs and rear) with running. I've been off for a few weeks though, due to hubby being out of town and now two weeks of school holidays. :( actually, the DVD's should be the ONE thing I can keep up with, as I can do that while the kids are hanging out - though I did once kick the little one in the head when he decided to run behind me during a routine....!

5. Keely~B

Keely~B Klicker That Just Klicks

I do. I have a few small dumbells, sets from 3 to 10 pounds. I don't have a bench but I wing it or use an exercise ball. For heavier weight I use a sandbag, I love that sucker.

6. Trista

Trista I'm Working On It

The title of this thread made me tired Angie. :giggle

In reality I have enough extra weight already. Sadly I don't do any sort of weight lifting at the moment. I'm working up to it.

7. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I used to back in my track running days and I was never in better shape! I loved being strong. I miss it, but don't like going to the gym. sigh. You rock Angie.

8. alb52

alb52 · · · – – – · · ·

if i ever make it back to the gym then i will be back at it... did it for years (not to bulk up just to tone) and i miss it - just not the same for me doing it at home. miss it lots. i, too, like being strong - like to open jar tops that are a challenge. my goal is always to be able to fit and strong enough to keep up with my grandbabies (God willing, whenever they come in 20 years! lol).

9. Angie4b1g

When we got the bench, I out lifted my boys (20 and 16, both over 6' tall). I felt pretty badass. Lol

Today I did a ton of rows, so my back will be hating me tomorrow.

10. nfenchak

nfenchak Where is my personal shopper?

I body sculp. I try to lift 3 days a week. I love it, it has helped my posture and I love how athletic it makes me feel. I can only bench press about 50 lbs for 12 reps, maybe the most I've ever lifted was 90??? so 108 is crazy good!! My favorite thing to use is an 18 lb kettlebell. It sculpts the shoulders like nothing else does!!! Once I started lifting 3 days a week consistently, weight really began easier to lose. I love that about it too!!! Go for it Angie!!

11. Angie4b1g

I think the most I've ever benched was 135lbs. Eventually, my shoulder becomes the limiting factor. I jacked it up a few years ago, and while it doesn't give me any PAIN, the joint is loose in there. So it kinda flops around. Doesn't bother me any until I try to bench press or do pull ups.

12. Lisa Carroll

Lisa Carroll Lisa Carroll

I have been doing Crossfit for a little over a year now, and I absolutely love it, and rarely miss a class. If you want to get strong, that is the way to go. It is expensive though, but for me, I go 5 days a week so it works out to about $5 a class.

Angie, you should google crossfit WOD's and I bet you could find several that you could do at home, especially since you have a barbell. I have a whole list of ones I have copied down for times when we are traveling, or for my husband to do in our home gym. One of these days I want to get a bar and weights for home. We have just about everything else.

13. Angie4b1g

I do sometimes make up WOD type workouts to do at home. Next I'm going to get a couple kettlebells and a Bosu ball.

14. renee82

renee82 renee82

I've been wanting to add in weights since we bought a second hand (but never used) home gym from a co-worker. My husband uses it so there's really no reason for me not too.

Good job Angie! :)

15. MandaKay

MandaKay Loyal as they come.

I have been doing p90x, so lots of weights and what not in that series. I try to use 10-15lb. weights for most of his exercises. Having muscle definition is definitely nice - a good feeling!

16. Angie4b1g

Just to update, I didn't do the Pump & Run because my son ran the 5k as his first 5k and I wanted to be out there to cheer him on. He did great! (He's 20)

I also rejoined CrossFit so I'm in some pain the last week. Lol